1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on buying trap gun in Northern Cal

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Aussie Phil, Nov 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Hi guys

After shooting trap for a year in Australia, I have relocated to the San Jose area in Northern California. I sold my browning Citori Ultra-XT in Australia, as it was too much hassle to try to import.

I have joined the ATA, and shot a few rounds of American Trap with a friend's Perazzi - I can generally get 24/25 off the 16' line. In Australia trap is all two barrel (i.e. two shots per clay), and there are some other rule nuances, but I seem to be getting the hang of everything here.

So now I am in the market for a new trap gun, and have a budget of $5K (don't tell my wife). I am a little confused as to whether a single barrel, double barel, or combo is the best way to go... How prevant are events that use two barrels?

Lastly, any advice on buying a trap gun? I've been to a few dealers around the area, and can't seem to find someone who really know's trap. I am happy to buy a used gun, but really want something that I can seriosuly compete 100% in trap. What would you recommend in the Perazzi line?

Phil

2. gotbass

gotbass Member

San Jose is not northern California, rather it is the bay area and has almost nothing to do with the rest of America. Welcome anyway. Come up to Redding for a PITA shoot and you will then be in northern California. Mike

3. blazer49

blazer49 TS Member

http://sunnyvalegunclub.com/

stop in and chat. map is on the web site with the hours open. we will not argue with you as to where you live, you are where you are...

rick g

4. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

You don't need to buy a Perazzi. Just buy a sack of Perazzi trigger springs. Guys will be standing in line to hand you their Perazzis.

5. claycruncher

claycruncher TS Member

G'Day Phil! Welcome to the states. Having lived 5 years in Melbin (Melbourne for the yanks!) I have great affection for you Aussies.

If you're up for a bit of a drive, you can head south on 680 to the Martinez Gun Club and I'd be happy show you around. I can also give you a number of suggestions on where to look for some guns. You're not limited to purchasing in the San Jose area. If I can help you, email me at the above address (drop the XX)and we'll figure out a good time to connect. Regards, Jim Pappas

6. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

Hey Phil, why not go to a Browning combo? For 5 Grand you could get a combo or an XT with adjustable comb and recoil reduction system and you wouldn't have to carry around a lot of trigger springs. I live in Lake County (Northern CA) and we have a nice range and shoot Sundays during the winter. If you'r up this way drop in.
    Dan

7. oletymer

oletymer Member

If you are looking for a gunshop that has people who know trap shooting try Helms House of Guns in Santa Rosa. Mel Helm the owner is one of the better shooters in the state.

8. lumper

lumper TS Member

Phil ... you must first ask yourself are you planning to shoot only singles or are you planning on shooting doubles as well? Will you ever venture out into the other shotgun sports as well or just strictly trap and only trap and never anything else.

The above answers will help dictate what kind of gun to get. If your only planning on shooting trap and never planning on shooting doubles than a good single (either a top or a bottom single) will be your best bet. If your planning on shooting doubles as well than you might want to consider a good trap O/U or a good trap combo gun.

If your planning on shooting other sports as well you might want to consider a good sporting clay O/U with adjustable comb and such. A trap stock is not the best overall all around stock but an adjustable sporting clay stock is.

Ya know ... did you like Citori you had down under? If you did than why not look at getting a new one here?

9. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

I am definitely looking for a pure trap gun - I've shot trap, skeet & sporting and prefer trap - if I do take up sporting later on then I'll get another gun.

How prevalent is doubles in the Trap competition circles? Seems to me I would be better sticking with a single barrel to start - I've only been shooting for a year and have a long way to go!

10. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

And why wouldn't you get another XT????

11. lumper

lumper TS Member

Ya know if you have only been shooting for a year I would suggest a good BT-99 trap gun. Not the fanciest and not the most expensive but probably one of the very best single shot guns on the market today. This will give you the opportunity to hone your skills and give you a chance to really begin looking for exactly what you desire in a gun and also allow you a chance to look and try and look and try some more before dumping large amounts into a gun.

Now if your looking for an O/U for the chance of shooting doubles as well as singles there is nothing wrong at all with shooting singles with an O/U unless you get a combo gun or 2 guns to shoot both sports.

Brand wise you can get many different brands within your price budget but why spend it all? Now before you start battin an eye about that just think of it like this ...

Your wife will find out you spent the money, there aint no preventing it. When she asks how much was it you spent you could say that you ONLY spent 3 or 4 grand instead of the 5 grand you had set aside. Now depending on her exact reaction having some extra spending cash to calm her down is much cheaper than what a divorce in California will cost you in the long run.

I might suggest you look at the Beretta line of guns like the 682 trap series. You can get them either in the unsingle, top single, O/U or combo sets. You can also look at the Browning XT line in either O/U's or combo sets as well. You can look at the P & K guns as well but ... well ... personally I think they need far to much annual maintenance and do not have the bestest of reputations as to having to have replacement parts on hand when you shoot ... but that is only my opinion.

12. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Hi,

Welcome to the U.S. trap world. If you have unlimited funds, by all means, get a combo or a single barreled trap gun and dedicated doubles gun. Given the cost of shooting, maybe you will consider not shooting doubles except "now and then" just for fun as I did. When I shot a lot of those, years ago, I had some success with a sporting clays over and under that shot 50/50...not the classic way to shoot doubles, but I had the most success with that gun given that doubles takes lots of practice.

For a trap gun, I would consider your talking with or even driving south and visiting Pacificsporting arms and talk with John, the owner. Or give him a call. He pulls no punches. I think a nicely taken care of Perrazi that fits you (standard bore, not worn out) or Krieghoff KS-5 would serve you for a lifetime. I'd not worry about Perrazi triggers; just get an extra one and keep it with you, they snap in and out of the gun.

Or dollar for dollar, pound for pound, a trap grade Remington 870 would work just fine if you can tame its kick with some weight etc. Or a clean model 12 that fits you. To paraphrase Lance Armstrong, "it's not about the gun"...

Stay away, however, from Caesar Guerrini from what I've heard (jive gun, not as well made as touted, clever marketing) and SKB for the same reason.

13. lumper

lumper TS Member

Geez Lumper ... normally your such a bloomin freakin idiot that makes you a poster child for planned parenthood but ... well ... sometimes I just amaze myself.

14. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

Ah...I disagree, respectfully re. P and K guns. Lucio takes care of stuff quickly at the headquarters in Azusa, California. I watched as he cheerfully tuned my triggers on a P over and under last month. And the KS-5 is like a tank and is very simple, very simple, needs service every 20,000 rounds, maybe, which is every $10,000 of "fuel burned" and target costs these days. So unless you are rich, unlike I, it will take a long time before service.

An older and retired and very successful trapshooter (A/27) told me that he feels that the KS-5 is the finest single barrel trapgun ever made. Oops, that's what I shoot, and I shouldn't have given away that secret!!! Seriously, I suggest you give John at pacific sporting arms a call...he's the only K guy in the state and one of the P guys too..

15. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

Phil,
    I'm an expat Aussie living in Sacramento. Been here a long time mate, miss the cricket the most, and the beaches and the sheilas and the beer......geez, i better stop, i'm getting depressed.

Anyway, welcome to California and American Trap. best get settled in and enjoy the shooting opportunities around you NOW. both ATA and PITA are very active in Northern California, i recommend you join both organizations and go to some of the local registered shoots, Livermore Gun Club is a good one for you, not too far away and they host both ATA and PITA events.

As for guns, I strongly recommend you get another XT and get it in combo. You know the XT will fit you and you are familiar with how it handles and shoots so why risk a change - the XT is a wonderful gun. A typical ATA/PITA shoot will feature 100 singles, 100 handicap and 50 pairs of doubles for a 300 target day. You can shoot the singles and handicap with your o/u if you are comfortable shooting that way, i know a few very good shooters who compete in all events shooting just their o/u.

Log on to the CGSTA website for a calendar of ATA events in California and also go to the PITA website for a calendar of shoots for that association - you won't lack for dates to shoot.

All the best mate - see you on the line sometime.
    Jim

16. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Phil. I would second the idea to contact Mel Helm, in Santa Rosa. Mel has forgotten more about trap shooting than most shooters know. I would encourage you to invest in a combo gun since you will, eventually, shoot doubles as well. Almost every registered shoot throws singles, handicaps, and doubles, in its program. For the budget you have, you can get into some pretty nice, dedicated trap combo guns. A good used Perazzi MX-3, MX-8, Beretta 680 series, or Browning XT combo set are all well within your range. If possible, shoot as many as you can and then decide which is right for your style of shooting. Personally, I prefer Perazzi guns over those mentioned, simply because I shoot them better and they "feel" right for me. Shop around a little and you will certainly find a nice gun in your budget, no question about that. And, as a side note, San Jose is, indeed, in the Bay Area, not Northern California. I live in Eureka, which is right on the Humboldt Bay, almost at the California/Oregon border. Now that's northern California......Dan Thome (Trap2)

17. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Phil, "How prevalent..." In most trap shoots, not all but a majority of regular shooters will shoot the singles, handicap, and doubles. There's no reason not to dabble with some doubles soon in our American Trap games. But the choice is yours. My usual recommendations include consider a gun that will cover as many disciplines as possible without having to buy more guns. In this case that would suggest to you the auto-loader or the over/under which it sounds like you're used to. There are some very fine shooters in the ATA that use an O/U for all disciplines and one advantage is there's no different feel from one gun for this and another for that. I use a Trap M.32 Krieghoff for trap doubles, skeet, 5 stand, continental, and sporting clays and it's my back up if the single barrel fails on me during a singles or handicap event. There's nothing wrong with buying a single barrel now, however, and looking to the future for maybe a gun that would cover the other games for you. Recommendation #1 is take up Sir Pappas on his offer to spend a day with you at the Martinez Gun Club, my old haunt in the 1970s and #2 is consider the Perazzi TM-1 single barrels if that's the direction you choose. The Krieghoff KS-5 Special and KX-5 singles are also terrific single barrel guns. Where to buy? I'll wager most of us buy off the used-but-for-sale gun rack at shoots or from friends OR deal with knowledgeable dealers from the west coast to the east who specialize in the clay target fraternity. Example, my KS-5 Special was bought from Joel Etchen in Pennsylvania, my M.32 from a for sale rack at a shoot in Washington, and I'm in Oregon.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

18. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Phil,

The Livermore Trap club is having a PITA shoot this upcoming weekend. Great people, great club. Several of the people on this site will be there. I am planning to be there Sunday. Come on out and talk Trap. I have been known to have a spare gun or two...so come out and shoot and look around. San Jose, by the way, is about as close to sane as you will fine in the Bay Area.

Jon "chiefjon" Schorle, Sacramento

19. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Phil......Look at the MX3 combo on this site for $3900.00.....You're not going to find a better deal than this...Dan

20. Aussie Phil

Aussie Phil TS Member

Thanks Joe

I suppose I should have clarified that I live in Pleasanton, so really close to the Livermore club. I put down San Jose as I wasn't aware if anyone would know where Pleasanton was - but I ignited a debate over whether I am actually in Northern California, so now I am scared to talk geography.

Actually, I lived in Utah for four years, but everyone tells me that isn't America either :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

buying a used trap gun

used browning citori trap northern ca