1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on buying a new gun safe...

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by glcmedic118, Nov 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

I am interested in purchasing a new gun safe. Curious if anyone has any advice on what brands are best and possibly other information so that this is an informed and wise investment. Thanks for your input.
    Grant

2. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Get one twice as big as you think you need. They seem to shrink after you get them home. Liberty makes a nice one and in numerous sizes and finishes.

Jim

3. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

Jim,
    I have been looking at Liberty safes and like what I see, just making sure they are quality products with good components. Thanks for your input.
    Grant

4. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Jim 101 offers good advice... buy a bigger one than you think you need. The wife will suddenly wnat to put her valuables on several shelves. A fire proof safe is nice if the price is reasonable. Fred

5. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Buy the biggest and heaviest you can afford. You don't want to end up like this guy.....

http://wcco.com/local/guns.stolen.wells.2.594767.html

Just locking them up in a bedroom don't quite cut it. This guy was lucky.

I should also say kudos to the parents of the juvenils, who went to the police.

Doug

6. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Whatever you do, bolt them to the floor. Lag bolts if you must, but through bolts with large washers or backing plates work best. Use a beer bribe to send someone into the crawl space if you have to. Out huge-by-large 'fridge was delivered by two guys who CARRIED it around to the back of the house and into the house. If they could do that, then they could carry some gunsafes full of guns or, and four of them could even do many of the big safes.

As for fire proof safes, be sure to equip it with a dehumidifier. The fire proofing material absorbs moisture.

7. fordtough

fordtough Member

what state are you located, i am a liberty safe dealer and some great buys on them right now. i am in SD, i can ship.605-645-2661

8. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

Fordtough,
    You can email me at grantcapel@verizon.net Thanks for your interest.
    Grant

9. cnsane

cnsane Member

Make sure it's fireproof. And buy the biggest damned safe that your company of choice offers. It WILL fill completely up and it will hold it's value better than a smaller box would. Check out used safes, all the dealers offer are little ones that people outgrew. Also, make sure it's heavy. That's thicker steel. My Fort Knox weighs 1500 lbs empty and I never even considered putting a bolt through the hole in the bottom of it.

10. Tdog

Tdog TS Member

Grant:
    I just got done doing a little research and buying 3 gun safes for the PD that I work for. Most all of the under $1000.00 safes are very similar. They are made of 12 guage steel and are lined with 5/8 inch fire rated dry wall. The main difference between them is the door. As others have said, secure it to the floor. You are really only buying a little time for someone who is motivated and has a few tools. You may want to get two smaller ones than just one big one for several reasons. First; It will most likely take the burglars just as long to get into the second one as the first one. Next; give your wife the combination to only one of them to put her Hummels in. Second if you buy two now you might be able to get a better deal than if you wait a year or two, and you will need another. LOL

11. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I have looked at Cannon Safes and I have liked what I have seen. They do make one hell of a safe for 60 guns. Fort Knox is also a good safe. I like the way they are built.

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

What is the company name of the safe that you put together? Comes in 6 parts so you can put a very large safe up or down stairs or thru narrow doors???

13. trap junkie

trap junkie TS Member

that would be Zanotti at www.zanottiarmor.com

14. Buddy O

Buddy O TS Member

I just went thru this exercise a couple of weeks ago, taking the good advice that was posted on this site.
    After comparing features & price with Browning & Fort Knox, I concluded that the best buy is the Liberty Presidential model P-50 with an electronic lock & pistol rack, installed & bolted to the cement floor professionally by the dealer for $4220 less the trade-in value of the Liberty LX-25 which I've had since '02.

15. harleyhog

harleyhog TS Member

I have a National Security ( I think Liberty may sell tehm and it is the top of the line. The web says it sells for $7400 ??? I want $3500

16. Bawana

Bawana TS Member

I just thought of something. When you get a safe BOLT it to the wall and or floor. If you bolt it to the floor do one thing. Go to your local welding shop and DON"T TELL THEM WHAT YOU ARE DOING. LIE AND SAY ITS FOR TABLE OR SOMETHING BUT NOT A GUN SAFE. Have them cut 4 steel sections of pipe say 2" or 3" long. Say about 3" or so wide. Now you want another inner pipe cut say out of stainless steel. You want the stainless steel to fit inside the steel pipe with freedom to turn without getting caught on the outer pipe. You will also want the stainless steel to be cut 1/2" shorter then the outer pipe. The reason is if someone comes in and tries to cut the bolts or pipe they will have a hard time doing so because stainless steel is hard to cut with a tourch or sawsall. It will be twice as bad if the stainless steel is moving around inside the out pipe to boot.

17. Blakester

Blakester TS Member

Hello, I just bought a 39 gun Patriot gun safe for $1899.00 free delivery
    1880 degrees for 1 hour. I really like mine, super nice digital lock with 2 keys top of the line, lifetime warranty on everything, it has 10 - 1"1/2 dead bolts....... Ricky

18. Unsingle

Unsingle Member

I don't care about the manufacturer of the safe, but do check the thickness of the sides. Stay away from 12-14 gauge. A burglar will go thru the sides. The better safes are 10 gauge. Stay with that as a minimum. If you buy a safe with the thin sides, you don't have much of a safe. Most fire-proofing doesn't offer much burglary protection. The next time you look at a safe, look at the electrical hole drilled in the back of the safe. You will be shocked at the thickness of the steel.

19. glcmedic118

glcmedic118 TS Member

What is the advantage of the new electronic locks over the old combination locks? I appreciate all the input on the safe discussion.
    Thanks again
    Grant

20. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Make SURE your long barreled smoke poles will fit in your safe!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.