1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Browning Superposed Chokes--Briley?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by UncleWray, Apr 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

Need some advice....

Have been selling off or trading down some of my shotguns to cover my financial situation. I'm trying to decide what to do with my Browning Superposed 20 ga. (RKLT, Belgian, 1965-ish, metal & wood 95%+, field gun, 3" chanbers choked skeet&skeet, 28")

My dad left it to me, so I don't plan to sell it, but my heirs probably will.

I don't shoot it much--just a recreational skeet shooter and I don't currently reload 20 ga. It's also light enough that the standard 7/8 oz skeet loads have more recoil than I like.

Not enough choke for pheasant or chukar hunting and I moved out of ruffed grouse country 10 years ago.

Would like to keep it as my #1 bird gun, but that means Briley chokes.

Also thought of Briley tubes with screw chokes in 28 ga?? I do load 28 ga.

Would I be nuts to have the work done? Would it dramatically reduce the value when it's eventually sold?

Appreciate your thoughts.

2. Jimmyc

Jimmyc TS Member

If briley does the work, I don't think it'll affect the value ver much at all. They are highly regarded. Tubes would be an option and prolly prices similarly.
    Jimmy

3. Boxbirder

Boxbirder Member

www.chambermates.com/

4. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Now that's a interesting question. I might lean on the side of having some brilely companion tubes made for it as they will come with 3 chokes for the two tubes. No trigger will be needed, but it will add some weight to the gun and most of it forward in the gun. Have you ever tried shooting someones tubes gun before to see how comfortable it was for you to shoot??? This will allow you to sell them off at a latter date without a major loss in your wallet. Add the barrel weight briley has and you may also be able to shoot the 20 ga. at skeet targets with a more reduced recoil without reloading.
    Now if the added weight would be to much for you, then choke tubes might be the way out. I passed on having tubes installed on my fathers hand me down gun. I did not want to take any chances on having problems down the road with whatever. Factory Original, just like the way we shot them when I was just a wee lad. Do let us know what you end up downing, as I would like to know!!! Break-em all. Jeff

5. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

Boxbirder, Interesting idea on the chambermates, but seems like I'd never get better than skeet choke patterns out of them?? I have shot game farm pheasants with the 3" 20 ga skket & did just fine, but I feel like have to pass up shots longer than 25 yards on wild ones (and I never seem to get any inside 25 yards with MY dog (lol).

Jeff, I hadn't done full research on the Briley tubes--seems like it might require modification to the gun? Have any idea what they have to change?

If I'm going to have to modify it, maybe I should just do the chokes. Never heard of Briley screwing (no pun intended) up a choke install.

Thanks, Wray

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Wray, I have heard a few stories that ended badly with all of them at some time in the past. Now maybe their learning curve is over, but everyone can make a mistake, we are after all human. Their should be no modifications needed to your gun if you use Briley. Kolar will want to reduce your forcing cones to install one of their tubes so I understand. Go To Briley.com and get on their website. If you want to order (or ask questions) talk to Gary Singer and he will fix you right up and fill you in on whats what and feel free to ask any questions you have. It will take a bit of getting used to the small extra weight up front, but after your used to it, you will not ever want to go back to a reg. barrel again. The extra weight up front will smooth out your swing and even help keep your gun swinging, even if you try to stop or slow down, do to the extra weight. Because of these two reasons no serious skeet shooter today uses a 3 or 4 barrel set anymore. Best of Luck with your project. Breake-m all. Jeff

7. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

Thanks, Jeff

I'll give Gary a call next week. Having a human to talk to is much better than just sending an email!

Best, Wray

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
briley choke tubes superposed pheasant

browning superposed with tubes

can a browning superposed be fitted with screw in chokes
can browning superposed be adapted for screw in chokes
extended chokes for superposed
installing choke tubes in superpose
superposed briley
superposed skeet choke