1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on Beretta 682 Wood Swap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HTSmith, Aug 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

I bought some used wood to swap out on my Beretta 682 Gold. How much trouble is the swap? The first thing I've noticed is that the forend wood is stuck tight to the forend metal. How to get it loose without damage? Any other pointers/warnings appreciated. Thanks

2. steveziv

steveziv Member

I bought some wood that needed fitting and got (IMHO) absolutely screwed by my highly recommended local 'smith. I ended up sending my 682 to Cole for something else and they were able to fix the damage the first guy did before my primo stock cracked.

My advice is to ship everything to Cole and have them fit it if you feel the least bit uneasy about doing it yourself.

3. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

You might pay more for Coles to fit it than you paid for the wood- particurally when you include shipping and insurance both ways

Keep that in mind

Heck it might go right on

In any case a local gunsmith that deals with wood should surely be able to handle it if you purchased the correct wood

Regards from Iowa

Gene

4. HTSmith

HTSmith Active Member

Thanks for the advice. This wood came from Coles and was originally fitted to similar vintage 682 to mine. Any idea on how to get the forend wood separated from the metal? Its stuck tight.

5. ken1okie

ken1okie Active Member

Take the forearm screws and insert them from the back side. Tap LIGHTLY alternating front and back screws until the forearm iron begins to seperate from the wood.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Or put in the freezer and freeze and then tap as discussed above with rubber mallet

I have done the freezer deal and just tapped on the forearm iron and it came off

Metal and wood have different expansion ratios - that is why that works

Gene

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.