1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on bead shank removal

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by HoosierHawk95, Jan 25, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Recently I was installing a new front bead on the rib of a 682e and twisted the bead off as I was tightening and aligning it. What is the best way to remove the shank that is in the rib in order to put in a new bead?

Thanks for your help and thank for keeping comments about the stupidity of the bead installer to a minimum.

2. HoosierHawk95

HoosierHawk95 Member

Recently I was installing a new front bead on the rib of a 682e and twisted the bead off as I was tightening and aligning it. What is the best way to remove the shank that is in the rib in order to put in a new bead?

Thanks for your help and thank for keeping comments about the stupidity of the bead installer to a minimum.

3. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Well, aside from drilling it out, you may want to try and heat the area around the shank with a soldering iron and then use a spring loaded center punch on the stud to unscrew it. This actually works very well. You simply get on the edge of the shank and use the punch to turn the shank counter clockwise.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have used that method a lot. A bead shank is pretty tiny, but I would still try it (gingerly).

Alternatively I might Dremel a slot in it and use a screwdriver.

HM

5. oletymer

oletymer Member

Drill and tap for the larger shank Remington beads. You won't shear them off anymore.

6. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

You can get a reamer from Brownells that will remove material from the bottom side of the bead. You just trim a little off until the bead lines up.

Jim Skeel

7. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Find someone that has a rib centering tool, for installing beads, use it to drill out the old bead shank, and then, as suggested, enlarge it to accept a larger bead. Brownell's sells them

<a href="http://s50.photobucket.com/albums/f326/dancingbear12/?action=view&current=drillingfixture.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a>

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If there is part of the shank above the surface of the rib the edge of a flat file can be used to cut a groove in the top of the shank and then you can unscrew it with a screw driver. If it is flush or twisted off below the rib surface the heat and spring loaded punch will work but it takes some patience.

9. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I just removed one for a friend. I set it up in my milling machine and drilled right down the center, with a tiny number drill and then just removed the shank with a small easy out.

Ed Yanchok

10. trim tab

trim tab Active Member

Hoosier, if you put on a new bead,do not keep turning it to tighten as you know what will happen. Turn it until its snug then back off and turn it a little more, back off and then turn it little more. Do this until it is aligned. Couple gunsmiths showed me this and works great.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Before I did any drilling I would try to work out the threaded piece. Try using a very sharp pointed tool and look to snag the outer edge of the shank and spin it out. It won't be tight just hard to get ahold of. The same thing Tron is suggesting. Beads will very rarely line up tight. You probably know by now not to force it into lining up . I just use blue locktite.

12. skeeljc

skeeljc Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

They do make left handed drills for this. You need to run them in a mill with a reverse.

Jim Skeel

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.