1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on a goose/duck gun

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by BrowningPotato, Sep 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I was wondering if anyone had some advice on a good waterfowl gun. I am wanting an autoloader that at least accepts 3" shells (I know nearly all do thsese days). Price is not really an issue I just want something that is proven reliable and preferably will not beat me to death. I am open to suggestions on both new and used (eg. models no longer made etc.) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

2. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I have thought about beretta but I havent been able to find anyone that has used one of their waterfowl models. I have a benelli montefeltro silver that is chanbered for 3" and rated for steel shot, but I hate to mud up all that scroll work.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

I have a Beretta Extrema I available (these will shoot 3 & 1/2 inch), my skeet partner had it and died before using it much. I think he shot a couple rounds with it but never hunted. I am just selling it for his wife. Comes with a hard plastic case and extra chokes.

You can have it for $750 plus actual shipping to your FFL.

HM

HM

4. Remstar311

Remstar311 Member

5. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

I am not familiar with the sp-10, however it sounds like it may be a little overkill for duck. While I do not do a lot of duck hunting at the moment I would like something a little more versatile. If I am wrong about this please let me know.

6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Benelli super black eagle is what I use

7. BrowningPotato

BrowningPotato TS Member

Cuban,
    I have heard alot of good things about the SBE. How is the recoil on this model? I cringe even thinking about putting a 3" through my montefeltro silver.

8. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

If recoil is any consideration stay away from the Benelli's. They are recoil operated vs the Beretta autos that are gas operated and the difference is very noticable after several rounds. Benelli and Beretta both now offer recoil systems on their new versions of 3 1/2" guns but are also over 1000.00. I have been to Cananda on several occasions waterfowl hunting and the Benelli's seem to have more issues than the Beretta's. I am still shooting a 3" mag 303 and never shoot 3 1/2" guns. Just not necessary.

9. grnberetcj

grnberetcj Active Member

[​IMG]

Remington, 11-87, Super Magnum Waterfowler XCS. Shoots 2-3/4" to 3-1/2" without any problems. Used the gun for the entire 2008-09 hunting season with no cleaning and the Delaware marshes are hard on guns.

Curt

10. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

first I dont want to bad mouth anybodys opinion because differences in opinions are good. I disagree about the recoil. I have Beretta 303's in 3" and 2 3/4 and they are the best auto period. However I also disagree with the 3" theory. If you goose hunt long enough you will wish you had a 3 1/2' gun. I have shot geese for 50 years and many times I was able to reach out and get the high fliers that others could not. I also have Beretta 3 1/2 guns and the recoil on the Benelli is not a lot different. When I go I always pick up the super black eagle. A 3' Monetefeltro is a different story. It will kick you hard.

11. bridgetoofar

bridgetoofar TS Member

You only need those roman candles if you are a goose shooter. If you are a goose hunter you only need 2 3/4" shells. So, you don't need a 3 1/2" gun that will probably not be reliable if you want to shoot some target loads from time to time. IMHO, it's hard to beat a 391 field gun or sporter.

12. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Cuban

You need to learn how to set decoys and call better if you are trying scrape out a 75 yarder. Just kidding you. I just don't feel the need for a 3 1/2" shell ever but that is just me. I don't like the recoil and 99% of the geese a 3 1/2" shell brings down so will a 3". It is all personal preference. And i don't like the added costs of 3 1/2" vs 3". Most all my hunting friends all shoot the 3 1/2" guns and none have ever questioned the 3" shells i shoot. I too would say a 391 would be hard to beat for waterfowl hunting.

13. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

Winchester superx 2 or 3 in 3 inch. soft shooters and ultra reliable. 3 1/2 inch shells in a Super black eagle are for a tougher man then me. I don't need 3 1/2 inch shells in fact I don't need 3 inch shells 50% of the time. When I do I shoot my SP-10 with 1 1/2 OZ of T's or TT's. An sp-10 with 1 1/2oz of steel kicks like a trap load. When you light off a 3 1/2 inch shell in a SBE you will know that yoiu have done something! sadly.. They pattern for shit. If you want a 3 1/2 inch gun you need the Mossburg pump as it has a 780 barrel and can handle the large loads of big shot. The sx-2 in 3 1/2 inch as well as the SBE do OK with large shot but unless you really need it I would just buy Heavy shot 2's in 1 1/4 3" shells. I can kill geese with them as far as I can my 10 ga. That is the best way to own a long range cannon that will cycle all shells that I know of!

for the record my favorte way to shoot ducks is with my 28ga with 3/4 of an ounce of Bismuth #5 shot over decoys. It just hammers them!

But Don't get me wrong... I love my SP-10, but I love it because I can load 65 yard duck and goose loads for 10 dollars a box. The only reason I still own my 10 ga is because large steel in a 10 is NEARLY as effective as large heavy shot in a 12 at 1/4 the price. I really see no need for the 3 1/2 inch chamber if you do not plan on shooting over 45 yards. Just buy hevy shot and shoot it if the birds decide not to come in or if its a pass shooting type of set up.
    ' I see no reason why an old 3'' 303 or 1100 or Browning a-5 with the proper choke tube isn't as effective today as when they were put away for more modern "better" guns . Jeff

14. BAD 303

BAD 303 Active Member

Very well said Jeff.

15. K80433SC

K80433SC Member

What is "lost"(no pun intended) by MOST of the 3 1/2" shell proponents is that the downrange energy of larger payloads is usually LESS than that of shorter shells. The gain in pellet count is negated by loss of actual knock-down power at longer shooting distances. This has been proven countless times in ballistics tests.

The ammunition manufacturers have everyone duped into believing that the 3 1/2" is the way to go, though. After all -- isn't the BIGGEST......better? In this instance, the answer is "not really".......

However - if you insist on the extra felt recoil, just to gain an additional number of pellets ; most of which will fly right past your duck or goose, anyway - that is your choice. I am certainly not here to argue, but rather to lend an opinion about the original question.

I hunt with a group of avid fowlers here on the east coast. We have hunted from Maryland to Maine ; to Texas ; to Saskatchewan, Canada ; even to Alaska, in pursuit of differnt species of ducks & geese. We also make annual treks to Kansas to hunt wild pheasants. Every member of this group shoots either a Beretta or a Benelli semi-auto in 3-inch chambering. We have PLENTY of gun to bring whatever we seek - to the game bag.

Personally -- I shoulder a Benelli M1 Super 90. With the inertia-driven action of this gun, recoil is NOT an issue - and the reliability of this gun is exceptional. It will cycle just as rapidly as your brain can relay the thought to pull the trigger, to your finger. Cleaning (even stripping) of these semi-autos is very simple and quick - should you decide you want to get rid of salt water, dirt or dust. The Benelli Super Black Eagle is another option, although more pricey. I also hear great things about the new Benellis with the recoil-reducing stock designs, although I have not shot any of them.

As I stated above, a few of my companions also like their Beretta semi-automatics. Although different in their gas-operated design, they have also performed flawlessly on every hunt we have shared.

As with any question about which is "best", you are certain to get differing opinions - based upon personal experience. So long as those opinions are truly based upon actual usage experience ; under actual field conditions, then you have something to "take to the bank". From there - feel, fit & price become your determining factors. Good Luck.

16. Baron23

Baron23 Well-Known Member

Personally I like my SBE II, and no...I in four years of shooting it I have not had the need to shoot 3 1/2 shells....I live in Maryland and we bring the geese in close. But maybe in the future...who knows.

I have not found any issues with it cycling 2 3/4" target loads at the range, as was alluded to above. I have found the gun to be extremely reliable, easy to clean and maintain, easily adjusted for fit, comfortable to shoot, and do not find the recoil to be an issue compared to any other similar guns.

I got it in synthetic stock. I believe, that if I had to, I can use it for an oar all day and then shoot without problems.

The only thing I found I didn't like was trigger pull weight...but I'm primarily a target shooter and anything over 4 lbs feels heavy to me. I certainly do not want a light trigger in a crowded goose pit on a cold day wearing gloves. I did have it lightened just a touch but mostly we just took the creep out of it. The only smith I know of who works on these triggers is Ernest Marlette, 1410 Irving Street
    Winston-Salem, NC 27103
    M (336) 456-1818
    B (336) 761-0433
    marlettebuilders@hotmail.com

Good luck with whatever gun you buy.

17. hunter870

hunter870 Member

[​IMG]

I hunt geese with a Beretta Xtrema2, and like the option of 3 1/2" shells when I'm reaching a bit further, combined with the idea I can shoot a round of trap or skeet to warm up before the season starts with target loads. My hunting buddy shoots waterfowl with a Browning 10 guage, and I've never had trouble keeping up.

BTW, the Xtrema's a pretty good dove gun, too!

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have friends who are duck guides. They all have Browning A-5's. Sound and relyable guns on the water. I have a A-5 3". That is my main gun for geese and duck. I have bought a Sp 10 and love it. I have not had a chance to use it on geese yet but I will. As for duck its more gun then you need. Go find a good A-5 and you will not be sorry.

19. k3uro

k3uro Member

Hey,

Mag 10, best all around gun I have ever used for Ducks and Geese.

Jim

20. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

I have a Rem Ultra 3 1/2", a Benelli SBE, a Benelli M-1, and a Beretta Extrema.
    For ducks I use the Benelli M-1 w/26" barrel cause I never use 3 1/2" shells for ducks and it swings quick. I use my Beretta Extrema 28" barrel for Geese with 3" and 3 1/2" shells. Felt recoil on the Extrema is the softest I've ever shot, but the receiver is very long so be cautious about getting a 30" barrel. It will be a very long gun and may hinder your swing. If it's 7 degrees and a wet lab is shaking off in your blind...Benelli.

A few years ago we were in Saskatoon waterfowl hunting. It was 65-70 degrees. We were shooting alot of Snows with Kent steel. Everyone was sprying "OFF" bug spray in their actions to keep their Beretta's running, except me with my...Benelli. No one brought cleaning rags or oil, and the powder residue was clogging the actions of the Beretta 391s. The Rem Ultra would be my last choice (jams). I had a Win.Sup X-2, which shot very soft, but it shot too flat and was heavy. BTW the new "chevrons" in the Benelli plastic stock really do reduce felt recoil.

Since you are use to a Benelli, why not get a 3" M-1?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

pattermaster goose