1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice on 870 setup.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Mar 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I put together a 870 with a 34 inch barrel with the high rib by Hastings. It has the Graco adjustable kick reducer and length of pull settings and a adjustable comb. Having never set one up like this can someone give me some simple guidelines to start. My BT-99 was set up like this and I have never adjusted anything on it and shot it pretty good. What should I look for when adjusting the comb? Thanks for your input. I just had to do something while waiting for my knee replacement to heal. LOL Jackie B.

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Jackie, I would bench rest the shotgun. If you like the performance of your BT establish its point of impact by shooting a target placed at 13ft from the bench. Now that you have a reference point adjust the comb on the 870 until it shoots where the BT did. Raise the comb to shoot higher, move the comb left if you need to move the impact point to the left etc. If you no longer have the BT this method will still give you a starting point. I'd look for an impact area about an inch high to start. By the way, I have an 870 with a 34" hastings barrel and extended chokes. Sure stands tall in the gun racks:)

Robert

3. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Thanks Robert. I do still have the BT-99 and had not considered using the bench to determine reference points. Jackie B.

4. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Shooting Jack: The 870 34"inch Bbl will shoot lower than youir BT-99.

Pattern both guns at 38 yards put a dot on the pattern paper and put the front bead into it and then fire, do this with both guns, then compare the POI.

Then do adjustments on the 870 to get the same results.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.