1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

advice on .22 rifle purchase

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Jan 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

what is the best .22 rifle on the market to shoot rabbits and squirels?----------------------- the boy is a smaller 11yr old- loves to hunt and has been shooting for 2yrs w/ a lil scoped, camo, plastic type .22 that has a trigger pull of what seems like 10 pounds!

2. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Take a look at the CZ's. I have a 452 that is exceptionally accurate with the right ammo. Steve

3. nipper

nipper TS Member

as above---- cz is very accurate with no mods

bill

4. 1290FPS

1290FPS Member

I am a big fan of the Ruger 10/22. I have one of the originals (has a four digit serial number) Easy to maintain, easy to clean, all kinds of accessories available, and will drive tacks at 80 - 90 yards.

5. Landshark

Landshark Member

Savage or the CZ

6. M-16

M-16 TS Member

The CZ has a youth model also very good gun for the money

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Ruger 10/22 is very good, easy to work on, and easy to upgrade if you want. HMB

8. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

I recommend a Ruger 10/22. The CZ and Savage are also good choices but I would buy the 10/22 and a decent 4 x scope (Leupold or Weaver).

Ed Ward

9. deercreek

deercreek Well-Known Member

I have gotten rid of most of my Marlin's, Ruger's and Savages...although I would consider an older one if in good condition. For a new mid-priced rifle CZ is the only I will buy in the future. I should have given them a try much sooner than I did. I guess I was just scared of the name and had no knowledge on them...I was the fool !

10. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

Although the Ruger 10-22 is a fine rifle and I've had several myself they are not the best choice for a new young shooter. Some states do not allow semi autos for hunting and teaching fundamentals without firepower is preferable.

The Ruger stainless M-77 bolt gun with synthetic stock is what I'd recommend. Almost indestructable with low maintainance and shoot fine. It worked for my son!!

11. B682GX

B682GX TS Member

There's nothing close to a Winchester model 52. If you can't find one, look for an Anschutz with a set trigger.

12. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Check out Champions Choice here in TN for your Anschutz needs. I bought a youth model for my daughter when she was 11, it's a tack driver. Adjustable LOP for growth, bolt action and a single shot for non-wasting of ammo and safety.

13. Savage99Stan

Savage99Stan Active Member

My number one rimfire-a Savage-Anschutz 141. It tells me if I'm on or not as it always is. Second choice would be a new Savage with accutrigger. I'd recommend against a 10-22 as a first gun only because of the bad shooting habits a semi-auto would tend to promote. Make the first shot count. I have and enjoy a 10-22 but usually pick up the Anschutz 22 or the Savage 17 if I'm looking for head shot squirrels.

14. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Ruger 10/22 is a good choice; also, Remington Speedmaster (Model 552) will shoot 22 LR, 22 Long & 22 shorts if it matters. A word of caution, neither gun action stays open after last shot is fired. If this is a concern, may want to go with a bolt action 22. Unless they have changed the operation of the Ruger 10/22, it does not stay open on the last shot. Darrell

15. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Dont give a young kid an autoloader- for a lot of reasons

You want a bolt action and maybe just a single shot--

Teach him safety and how to shoot.

Marlin probably - all of them are very accurate

A rossi break open isnt a bad idea either and can be had in a combo with a 20 gauge shotgun barrel-- I dont know about the accuracy level

Regards from Iowa

Gene

16. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

I bought my Grandson (now eight years old) a Savage Cub for his sixth birthday. The new ones had just come out with the Accu-Trigger. It has an adjustable aperture sight to teach a new shooter the proper use of irons and is grooved for scope mounts.

For his eighth birthday I mounted a scope to it. He had fired well over 1,000 rounds with the irons and was ready to start with optics, I figured.

The Cub is very accurate, light and just fits him. It is a single shot which I would insist on for a new shooter. I think it is a great value.

His gun was ordered and was shipped with out the Accu-Trigger. I was going to send it back, but the gunsmith/owner of the shop offered to put a four lb. trigger job on it and Grandson and I are pleased. His friend brought out a Rem 552 to the range last weekend when we shot. The Rem must have had a 10 lb. trigger and as it is a full size arm was not appropriate for the kids.

Good luck in your search.

HBT

17. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

I can't think of a better choice than a 10/22 Ruger topped with a big red dot optic. I just set one up for my daughter and it is incredible. I really don't see this gun as a promoter of poor shooting skills, actually just the opposite. A person that is having fun and hitting targets is alot easier to work with and is more receptive to instruction than someone that is stuggling with the mechanics of operating the gun. Also the new shooter will look forward to going for a shooting session (because it is really fun) and that love of the game is what you use as a carrot in your coaching efforts that don't involve live fire. Remember - the adult is the instructor not the gun.

The nice thing about the 10/22 is that you can start with a low cost gun and make what ever mods required so the gun fits the shooter without worrying about loosing value. New 10/22s come with a metal plate/hasp and lock that can be used to secure the gun from being loaded or fired and that may be something the safety minded parent wants. Later on when the kids grows you can look at a huge selection of aftermarket stocks, barrels, triggers, etc. These guns shoot well right out of the box but they can be made into extremely accurate guns if that is what you want.

18. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

The expensive ones are nice, Anschutz, Kimber, but I would get him a Marlin 39A, Lever action multi shot, easier to use than a bolt, and great shooters.

Used market should yield a good one for you.

HM

19. Spyderdaddy

Spyderdaddy TS Member

I have to agree with 1290FPS that a Ruger 10/22 is a tack driver, it's also
    one of the easiest guns for dis-assembly & cleaning I've owned. There's a
    huge supply of after market add-ons & spare parts available. If it were his first gun I'd side with the the bolt guys.
    Respectfully, Spyderdaddy

20. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

For a kid....I can't think of anything better than a Henry Golden Boy .22 !!!

It is not an auto, but has multiple shots...is accurate...and kids love the look!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.