1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on muzzleloader to acquire.

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by LWLarson, Apr 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

Looking to take up muzzleloading for whitetails... Any good advice on what muzzleloader to purchase?

Any advice would be appreciated...

LWLarson

2. School Teacher

School Teacher Well-Known Member

L W:

You have many choices from pure tradition to the most efficient. A traditional BP gun will have a "slow" twist, i.e. 1 turn in 60 plus inches and will be suitable for only patched round ball. It will also most likely be a cap lock or a flintlock.

The modern muzzle loaders feature a "fast" twist, i.e., 1 turn in 28 or so inches, and are intended to shoot sabots ( a plastic shoe holding a .44 mag or similar caliber pistol bullet) or conical bullets. The modern muzzle loaders may be a cap lock or an inline, bolt action style rifle. Ignition choices include percussion caps, musket caps or 209 primers.

A few modern muzzle loaders are intended for smokeless powder but most shoot Pyrodex or a similar black powder substitute or traditional black powder.

You will need to check your state regulations regarding what is allowed in your state.

Knight and Thompson Center are typical brands. I used to shoot a .50 caliber Thompson Center Hawken style cap lock with a 1 turn in 48" twist. It would shoot either .490 round ball (with 90 grains or less of Pyrodex) or a .44 caliber Hornady XTP pistol bullet. I took several deer with it.

Later on, I bought a Ruger 77 BP inline and mounted a Burris 3x9 scope on it. It had a 1 turn in 28" twist and would shoot a 2" three shot group at 100 yards using two Pyrodex 50 grain pellets and a Hornady .44 caliber 240 grain XTP bullet in a sabot.

Inlines are IMO the way to go if your state allows them. They usually are more dependable, accurate and have better triggers.

Ed Ward

3. XP100

XP100 Well-Known Member

If legal in your state look for a Savage smokeless powder muzzleloader. Lots of advantages. Cleaning less often, longer range, no smoke after shot, very accurate. drilled for scope, accutrigger on later model.

4. jaeger18

jaeger18 Member

TC Encore, used one for years and never had a problem. TC also has a lifetime warranty on all of their stuff.....

5. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

+1 for the T/C Encore.

Jim

6. wm rike

wm rike Member

There are three ways to look at it, and then you just need to decide where you fit in. If you just want to hunt, you probably want a conventional centerfire bolt gun. If you just want to hunt during a designated muzzle loading season, get the inline. If you want the black powder experience, go traditional. You'd be amazed at the thrill of a flint-lit hunt.

7. bigbore613

bigbore613 TS Supporters TS Supporters

I have a new unfired CVA mag hunter ,.50 cal ,1in 28 twist.Belongs to a friend .His wife through out the box with the accesories. GUN only .$90 plus shipping. Jeff

8. locdoc

locdoc Member

LWL,

You might also consider the following T/C that I have up for sale here.

F/S * * T/C Omega 50 cal Z5 Premium Pack * * F/S

Click on the website link above.

In any event good luck with your search.

Doug Whiton, P/W dealer/dist

9. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I'll also recommend the Encore. Mine puts three 250-grain Hornady SST/ML bullets into 1-1/4" at 100 yards using three pellets of Triple-7 and a Federal 209A primer. Chronographed muzzle velocity is right at 2,200 fps. The T/C trigger is great as it comes out of the box.

Ed

10. jrw136

jrw136 Member

Here’s one in excellent shape, about half the price of the current model and comes with EVERYTHING you need to start hunting/shooting today. I got it some years ago to go Deer hunting but about that time my club broke up and my best buddy died. Haven’t shot it in 10 years, if you what pictures I can have them for you in a day or so.

Thomson Center Fire Hawk .50 cal Muzzle Loader, Camo synthetic stock, Includes ALL and I mean all accessories; Powder, sabot bullets, cleaning kits, powder measurer, full possibles bag, etc. everything you need to start shooting and hunting. Pictures on request. $200 + shipping

11. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

I have a T/C Omega that shoots absolutely lights out. I have a 3x-9x scope on it and holds a 2" @ 100yds 5 shot grouping without cleaning. If I just shoot three then it is sub MOA. I have taken deer cleanly at 175 yards with no problems.

If traditional is your game, then buy a kit and finish it yourself. It is much more satisfying this way.

ss

12. Tripod

Tripod Well-Known Member

I bought a "white river magnum" from Cabela's on clearance a few years ago and it is kind of an ugly black thing but it will put .44 cal bullets in a pretty small group at 100yds and last year I took a nice 8 pointer at 199 yards measured, Admittedly I knew how far away he was and what the hold should be, but those inline guns will shoot!
    One of the things I would look for is ease of priming (mine sucks) and cleaning. I think they all shoot good and mine has an excellent trigger.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Dont turn down a good deal on the TC's ..their service is the best..a load I'll share with you that I concocted for my 50cal Black Diamond....I use a .458dia 400gr Speer flat point meant for the 45-70..in a crush rib sabot meant for .452 pistol bullets...its a tight fight but thats what makes it shootunder an inch and over 1600fps...that bullet/sabot combo over 110gr of Blackhorn 209 powder shoots exactly like my Marlin 45-70 with fairly hefty handloads...I guarrantee that anything smaller than grizzly will fall and die very quick...maybe grizzly too, but I'm not good enough at loading and running like hell to find out : P

14. LWLarson

LWLarson Member

guys,
    thanx for the great advice... In my state, we can use inlines.... just no scopes during ml season. I am leaning towards the TC, altough I have heard really good things about the Savage, and really like my Ruger 77 in the .280 cal.. just starting to shop around, so doing my homework. i knew this forum would be a great starting point.

Thanks again,
    LWL

15. 687 Trap

687 Trap Member

On the high side of price but and Encore is the way to go. Plus you can add other barrels and have a multi-purpose gun.

Ron

16. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Before you jump on any of these suggestions, post the name of the State you will hunt in. Some States allow any gun that loads from the muzzle end while other States are more restrictive as to the design and ignition system.

MK

17. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

Badbull muzzleloaders are the best! Parker bullets & Bob Parker are the best!

18. UncleWray

UncleWray TS Member

If you can only do iron sights, try a peep sight &and a gun that will let you mount one reasonably close to the reciver or breech plug. (so you don't need a front sight that stands 3" above the barrel.

I have a T/C Hawken that my dad built from a kit. Couldn't shoot for beans till I got the T/C rear peep.

I get "minute of deer" sized groups at 100 yards off shooting sticks with the peep.

19. Mapper

Mapper Member

If you could find one, a used Austin & Halleck would make a fine rifle. They were made in both in-line and traditional. Premium barrels and Timney triggers on the in-lines. I think they stopped production a few years ago. Otherwise, the T C seems to be pretty popular.

20. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

Have any of you Encore guys used 5744 smokeless powder? I have heard of some Savage guys using this powder, and I am wondering if 5744 would be safe in an Encore as well.

I use 5744 for cast Boolit loads for my .30-06, and .45-70. The .30-06 loads are running about 1800-1900fps. The .45-70 loads are the same charge as the .30cal loads at 25 gr.

I would think the TC should be able to handle those pressures just fine.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

chronographed blackhorn loads

thompson center firehawk loads