1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed on buying a gun

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by code5coupe, Aug 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. code5coupe

code5coupe Member

Advice needed on buying an internet gun

I'm in the discussion stage with someone on the internet about buying a trap gun. I'm arranging an FFL-holder to accept it, but want to ask your advice about the risks involved.

I don't know the person I'm buying from, and feel uneasy about sending several thousand dollars without knowing if I'll ever see the gun or the money again.

How do you minimize the risks in a transaction like this?? As I see it, by sending the money before he sends the gun, I'm the one taking all the risk. Is there a standard way that you guys to this so that neither party assumes all the risk?

2. lumper

lumper TS Member

If your having bad feelings than dont do it and if your looking for peoples advice as to help you feel better about it ... well ... just dont do it.

What is it that is making you feel uncomfortable about the transaction? Price to good? The guy has been a little difficult in answering questions? It sounds like you might just be having a little case of pre-transactional buyers remorse.

3. richrob

richrob TS Member

have it shipped from an FFL and pay using Postal Money Order, only ways I could think of to offer some sort of security. -Rich

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

Code5',

Allways pay with a USPS money order. Send any funds through the USPS. If there is any fraud involved, you'll have some help.

Make sure the shipper provides you with a tracking # for the package. This way you'll be able to track the package as it makes it's way to your ffl.

Make sure the gun is insured! insure it for about 25% greater than the value of the gun.

Take a digital camera with you to get pictures of the packaging and the gun in case of damage. This will simplify things if a claim is needed.

Ask for an inspection period to make sure the gun is as promised.

ec90t

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

Hey ... ask him what his ATA# is ... I forget who it was here on TS.com but just because somebody on the internet had an ATA# he was alright and he did the deal with him.

6. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Ask for the other person's phone number and give them a call. Ask the right questions, listen to the answers and ask yourself if it sounds OK. Also ask the other party if they can supply you with any TS.com references. If, for example, Foggy or SuperXJeff tells me that Joe Blow's OK, that's good enough for me!

Also be sure that each of you explicitly understands the terms of the deal, who does what when: payment, shipment, inspection period, acknowledgements, etc. Document everything.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Porcupine

7. slowdp

slowdp TS Member

I have used Tradiator.com before as an escrow service. You send them your money, they notify the seller they have your money, the seller sends you the gun, you notify the escrow service you have the gun, the escrow service sends your money to the seller. This is very safe. I used the service once when I could not identify the seller.

There are people out there who are waiting to rip you off. I have been lucky and have hit the good ones. One thing to do is to get the phone number of the person you are dealing with and use whitepages.com to reverse search the phone number. If the phone number lookup comes back with the address your seller gave you, you will usually be ok. I don't deal with those whose phones cannot be verified without a lot of other discussions.

I have been told to always use a postal money order and if the seller defrauds you then you have a federal offense going. Defraud through the postal service is federal. So what - you still have to find the guy.

Be careful and you should be ok.

8. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

home and cell numbers

call them

do a reverse look up on the home number - see if it matches the name and address

professional organizations

ask for education and verify that he/she went there

regards from Iowa

Gene

9. rennerize

rennerize Active Member

If you want to email me with his ID I can help you as I have bought and sold many items on here.
    Don

10. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sure. Foggy will pay if you get burned. Just tell him I said so. Jeff too.

(actually I would take their reccomendation myself).

FFL on both ends (no dealer will be party to fraud, you can complain to ATF), USPS makes it mail fraud and a Federal offense if there's a problem.

This is the way i would do it if I was nervous. The escrow service is a great idea, I didn't know you could do that.

Checking the guy out is good. I bought from an attorney in Idaho some years back, found him in the yellow pages and felt OK. Actually he was more nervous than I was and I sent the money to him first. He insisted on using a sending dealer to keep things right. It's not necessary but a good safetyu valve.

HM

11. Porcupine

Porcupine Active Member

Yo, Puke,

Sharing this forum for about four years with other trapshooters allows me to know many of them pretty well. I've bought from and sold to a good number of posters here (burned once by Larry M. in Nebraska, but that's another story), and I value highly the opinions of almost everyone here, even yours. A reference is merely one's opinion as to another person's character. I've dealt more than once with both Foghorn and SuperXJeff, and although I haven't met either personally, I count both of them as friends, and therefore trusted opinion givers. So, if they (or anyone else whose opinions I feel I can trust) say that someone else is 'OK' (whatever you meant by that), I have added reassurance that I won't get burned.

The friend of my friend is my friend. Should I make an exception for you? Just kidding.

Regards,

Porcupine

12. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You can do it the way I did if you like. I knew and trusted the FFL on my end, so that was not a problem. I just had the seller send the gun C.O.D. to my FFL dealer. The mail type carrier (any you want) picked up a bank Cashiers check from my bank. They then mail the check to the owner. He is protected by carrier getting a certified check on the spot and I was protected by not letting go of money until I got gun. The bank can and will put a stop payment on a cashiers check if not gun in package or any other problem. It will take one or more days for check to reach to seller. It was pretty inexpensive way for both parties. Good Luck. Bread-em all. Jeff

13. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

If you are uneasy about the transaction itself, you should also be concerned about what you are going to see if/when the gun arrives and you open the box. If it isn't as described, then you have an additional headache...sending it back to get your money returned and paying for shipping. Save the headaches and buy from a reputable dealer (FFL to FFL). Best Regards, Ed

14. mt

mt Member

I know the feeling....i purchased a used ljutic and a used perazzi...both times i was pretty scared...both transactions thankfully turned out fine but....

I think in the future, ffl store to ffl store is probably best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.