1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice needed, fraudulent parking tickets!

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by senior smoke, Jun 16, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    My son could use some advice on how to handle this situation. He lives in downtown on the East side of Milwaukee. The parking situation is terrible. Between the police and meter maids the city has been issuing an abnormal amount of parking tickets the last few months.

So many in fact, that the local NBC affiliate is in the middle of investigating the abnormal amount of fraudulent tickets that have recently been issued by meter maids.

My son purchased a special monthly parking pass a few months ago, allowing him to park overnight on a city street. Despite having this permit properly placed in his vehicle for the meter maids to see, he has received 4 parking tickets within the last month.

Each time this happens, he has to call a phone # and speak to someone where you pay for parking tickets. After spending 45 minutes speaking to a customer service rep and then a supervisor, they agreed that he should have not received parking tickets due to the permit that he paid for.

The supervisor assured him that she would take care of the tickets after he mailed additional information to her.

My son comes home from a business meeting last night and finds two more tickets issued to him. He sees a meter maid and had her read his permit and she agreed that he should have not received a ticket.

She said the people issuing the tickets were not her, and she could not do anything about it. He has to call Monday at the same phone # that he previously called. She put his name and license plate # in her computer and it says the next ticket he receives will result in his vehicle being towed for non payment of parking tickets.

When my son previously called the phone # to try and get the matter resolved he said the people he spoke to acted like they could care less and did not really seem like they wanted to correct the error.

The local television station feels that they are issuing tickets without reading the permits on the dash of the vehicles. They said if citizens just paid these fraudulent tickets Milwaukee would receive additional one million dollars in revenue.

Any advice?
    Steve Balistreri

2. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Yes, you can do what I did with the hospital. They had a bogus charge on my bill that was supposed to be part of my free yearly physical, paid by insurance.

I just told them, "Fine, I will be happy to pay the 80 dollars to file a small claims action, and you can send one of your people to court to explain it. If no one shows up0 I will have a judgement on you."

Next morning I got a call, saying they were going to Write it off.

Cowards. I was hoping to tell the judge what crooks they were.

So when you talk to them let them know what you intend to do. BTW, better pay the tickets so you don't get towed. Add it to your small claims action, plus fees and interest.

HM

3. wayneo

wayneo Active Member

Does Milwaukee have a Citizens Advocate that woks through the Mayor's office? Look in the white pages under city government offices, call them and file a complaint with the Parking Control. It will be on record at least. The Citizens Advocate that I have worked with have a lot of pull.

Wayne

4. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    Contact the media person doing the investigation and offer to show them everything. Offer to let them do a sting operation on the meter maids, using the car as bait. Mention fraud AND racketeering.

And find a hungry lawyer. There are too many lawyers out there, so it should be easy.

5. senior smoke

Thanks, will tell my son. I can not tell you how aggravating this is as well as time spent.

Here's something that is real interesting. My daughter has a friend who goes to college near down town Milwaukee. The police and meter maids are constantly issuing parking tickets to students as there is little available spots to park.

In one year that I attended the same school, I received 28 parking tickets myself which I paid. My daughter asked her friend how many tickets she has had this past year while attending the same school?

She said she has had no tickets???? She said she is going to school to become a police officer and her permit is coded that she is in the police program and they do not ticket her. She parks there all day while going to school where other students usually have to try and move their cars every 2 hours. If true, this stinks!!!
    Steve

6. Tommy67

Tommy67 Member

Halfmile, be careful when the hospital says they will "write it off". Sometimes that term is used when the bill is called uncollectible and written off as a bad debt which could then impact your credit. Hopefully this didn't happen to you, but I have seen it done before.

Tom

7. R.Kipling

R.Kipling Well-Known Member

First off they are not fraudulent parking tickets, they are just issued in excess, or in error. If they were a fraud you could wipe you tail with them and be done with it - no such luck here.

Rather than let this excess continue, after the obligatory second phone call, I think I would get one of those window shields and print in big letters something to the effect "I have a Parking Permit" with a big bright "look here" arrow on it. subtitled "smile, and look up, you are on candid camera"

Half,

I'm in a 5 year battle with a truly fraudulent hospital bill right now. The original bill was incorrect with excessive charges. I corrected it, negotiated with the "hospital" accounting department - even sent them two written letters stating the problem and the results with my check.

Over 4 years later, I get a call from an attorney - they intend to sue me for an unpaid bill. Long and short, the company I negotiated with was an outside contractor that "didn't have the authority" to modify the invoice. And, -here's the kicker - in my state my appeal limitation was 3 years. The hospital can pursue the claim for 6 years.

Yep, the hospital waited out my limitations and now says they don't have the original records on the charges nor are they dealing with the now defunct contractor. It's a 1K bill that will cost me 5K to fight, plus the time.

Clincher- the bill never showed up on my credit report until after the vampire called. Personally, I can't wait for the R3volution - Shakespeare was right!

Kip

8. fly

fly Active Member

scan the parking pass along with a letter stating the problem, and mail it to the address on the ticket. Done.

9. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    The hospital may "write it off" but that means they may then sell the debt to a debt collector.

10. fly

fly Active Member

My answer is for the original question pertaining Milwaukee.

11. Straight50

Straight50 Member

This is ridiculous. I would contact a lawyer about representing you in court. Most lawyers will conference with you free of charge, and inform you whether you have a case against the city or not. At least you will have an idea about how to proceed.

12. fly

fly Active Member

start a lawsuit over a 50 dollar parking ticket!

13. John Galt

John Galt TS Member

I'm sure glad I don't have as many crosses to bear as Senior Smoke.

14. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

The hospital's are known for over charging and double billing. A friend caught a $3000.00 double billing one time.

They aslo don't want bad press by going to court to explain things. The word will get out on what they are doing and others will then start watching their bills.

The good old boys club is big with cops. Its in every town and city.

As for your tickets, its free money to the city. MOST people just pay it and let it go. To scared to fight it. Don't have enough time to fight it and so on. Go after them in court. Breach of contract, unlawful ticket writing anything to throw mud in their face and have the papers and media there to show the city what they are doing. FIGHT IT.

15. senior smoke

Fly:
    It's more than just the money. After paying for the permit, after displaying the permit in the vehicle, the meter maids are not even looking to see who has a permit.

The amount of time it takes to try and straighten this mess out while you are working is very hard. They are not open on weekends. The very next ticket he receives his vehicle will also be towed.

The problem has affected so many people that here in Milwaukee a television station has felt a need to have a special investigation. The reporter handling the investigation asked a meter maid on camera why has there been so many fraudulent tickets issued and she drove off right on camera?

It seems as if they were told to ticket everyone in that particular area of the city and we can straighten it out later. How many people are so fed up on trying to straighten out this matter that they just pay the tickets giving the city added income.

Once your car has been towed, it's to late.
    Steve

16. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

When I was doing Lab Equipment repairs at OSU there is hardly any parking avail. so I parked near the job,If I got ticket I paid it but I doubled the price of the ticket in labor on my invoice. I don't care how many they write I make money on them.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

17. senior smoke

Gary:
    Here in Milwaukee they tow your car away.
    Steve

18. one1bird

one1bird TS Member

Buy a boot put on car stick several old tickets under wiper
    they will not add another for fear of having other ones blow away as most meter maids are too lazy to pick them up make sure permit is in plain view take lots of pictures LOL

19. goony

goony Active Member

Put a note inside the vehicle where the meter maid can see it referring to your parking permit. If that doesn't work contact your alderman/councilman. You are correct that they don't care and could care less if they help you. The 45 minutes spent on the phone is meant to discourage you so you hang up before your issued is resolved.

Mike

20. senior smoke

My son just off the phone since calling at 8am this morning. He was 30 minutes on hold, then someone picked up the phone and hung up on him. He called back and waited another 35 minutes and asked to speak to the supervisor that he originally spoke to when he first called and she told him she would correct the problem.

The rep said that she no longer works for them. My son waited on line another 15 minutes and someone again picked up the phone and hung up on him again.

My son contacted the tv station who is doing the investigation and has told the reporter his situation and offered to do a television interview and the guy said get in line. He said so far no one is willing to comment on why there have been so many fraudulent parking tickets.

My son has made a call to his alderman's office and is waiting for a return call.

My son's car was not towed last night because I switched cars with him for the week so hopefully he can straighten out this matter.

Now I know what people mean when they say "it's like fighting city hall".
    Steve

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.