1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice Needed Cleaning Choke Tubes

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Chuck DeVoid, May 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

Inherited some Extended Ported choke tubes with the purchase of another O/U shotgun, and while they work fine, they are messy. After a days shooting, the exposed area is covered with burned on fouling, not so much from itself but from the other choke tube spraying onto each other. The problem is compounded when I use one ported choke and a non-ported choke together. The knurling on the non-ported choke gets filthy from the ported chokes spray, and the fouling really gets etched in.

In addition to a stiff bristle brush and some elbow grease, is there a product that can be suggested that will remove this burned on fouling easily, but not harm lettering or anodizing on the choke tubes??? I've so far used Remington spray cleaner and Hoppes solvent, but both require a lot of scrubbing.

Your suggestions would be much appreciated, and thank you in advance.

Bill

2. Texas Ton

Texas Ton TS Member

That slip 2000 stuff will work but it won't in the time frame they say, needs to soak a few hours or overnight.

You can lessen this alot by coating the tube with the same grease you use on the hingepin, if you will do it every 100 rounds you can knock the junk off with a rag---regrease and go again. Same with ported barrels, grease around the area that gets caked with junk, wipe it off and go again.

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I have used this product (see link) and it works very well. You will probably need to let the tube(s) soak overnight. Bill Malcolm

4. Spanky

Spanky Active Member

I made up a 'T' handle that accepts the 12 ga. stiff brass/bronze bristle brushes. When plastic seem to be building up or noticeably building up I use CRC brake cleaner and the brush setup. The CRC has no effect on the finish of the tube. Lightly oil, add tube grease, and re-install.

5. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

I have used the choke shine by truelock, sort of pricey, although it works well, but i believe its nothing more than the citirus degreaser that you can buy at any hardware store like Lowes, home depot, etc. at a lot lesser price. smokum, Big Jim

6. Bob Merkov

Bob Merkov Member

Chuck,

Try Mineral Spirits. This is what Beretta recommends using when cleaning their guns. I was a bit skeptical at first, but not any more. I soak the tubes and do them last with a wire brush and everything comes out. My tubes are Comp&Choke (great chokes) and after shooting four or five rounds of doubles they really get fouled up. Since using Mineral Spirits, I no longer use any of the closet full of cleaning products I have purchased.

Bob M.

7. fssberson

fssberson Active Member

Use what ever chemical you want for soaking, but then get a large brass brute brush, place it on a short cleaning rod. Get a portable drill [14.5 volts or stronger] and put the cleaning rod in the drill, get a pair of pliers [channel locks] wrapped with some grey tape to prevent scratching the choke tube and some good gun solvent [Break Free] and spray on the brush -- go for it. This method is fast and gets everything. For the really stubborn plastic at the end of the tube, use an exacto knife to scrape the stuff off... then use the brush again. Fred

8. Chuck DeVoid

Chuck DeVoid Member

Thanks all for your replies and suggestions.

Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

thebrassbruteshotgunrod