1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for Shooting in a Winter League

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MMcVitty, Jan 3, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

I am going to entering in a local Winter League and was interested in getting any tips or tricks to shooting in cold weather. I have lost a significant amount of weight in the last year and am having trouble keeping warm when hunting, especially my hands. I also have had problem in the past shooting with a heavier jacket. Any ideas tricks to not loosing feeling in my fingers? Any cold weather issues that you have run into?

"Don't go out in the cold", while a helpful response, is not the type of response I am looking for.

Thank you all.

2. Star4Ever

Star4Ever Member

Insulated boots with silk socks under and wool socks over.
    A warm hat that covers the ears... use ear plugs.
    Keep your neck warm with a turtleneck or scarf.
    Under Armour insulated shooting gloves.... not cheap but they really work.

Lastly before each shot, take a nice long inhale and exhale slowly letting your muscles relax.
    When you tighten up your muscles due to the cold you will shiver.
    You have to relax. the cold is easier when you are relaxed and not tense.

hope that helps
    Art

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Buy good quality clothing, footwear and gloves. Warmers work fairly well, put them on the back of your hands. Bill Malcolm

4. DaveXT

DaveXT Member

Dress in insulating layers. Products like under armour cold gear or products with primaloft will keep you warm as long as you have a wind barrier. Wear a similar product on your legs and feet as well. A good winter hat will do wonders too. Neoprene gloves or thin fleece gloves work well. If it is really cold, surgical gloves under the fleece are good. Use a shorter recoil pad to make up for the layers.

Dave

5. GW22

GW22 Active Member

+1 for Under Armour cold gear. The price seems obscene but it's worth it.

-Gary

6. hehawboy

hehawboy Member

leather gloves for sure,under armour. wool hat,and socks , and after your done shooting some ginger brandy

7. lots of 24's

lots of 24's Member

Most importantly......do not be discouraged with lower scores. With a few extra layers of clothes it is impossible to mount the gun the same way every time. Do not figure you have some how gone in to a slump.......you havent. Its just winter shooting. Some days there is no difference. Other days you will go crazy trying to figure it out. Dont go crazy, just smile and be glad to be shooting with your buddies all winter long. Enjoy it!!

8. UpNorthMN

UpNorthMN Active Member

Assuming you're right handed, wear a mitten on the left hand, put a muff like this around your waist, and put a hand warmer inside it. Put your right hand inside between shots. Keeps your finger trigger warm.

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=TextPac-Pro-Texter-Hand-Muff&i=452529

Wear a Browning or Cabelas or Beretta wind shear sweater. Unbelievably warm.

I wear these pants on the snowmobile on the way to the fish house and stay warm. They'll keep you warm trapshooting:

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/product.jsp?productId=749861

There is no bad weather. Only bad clothes ;-)

David

9. Redcobra

Redcobra Active Member

GW22:
    Is it the UA coldgear tech glove you are speaking about?

10. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Try to spend some time outside in the cold each day and don't keep your house too warm so your body will adjust to the colder weather. Exercise if you can to improve circulation. Then follow some of the layered clothing suggestions above.

11. burtona

burtona Member

Just move where the weather is warmer!

12. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Redcobra: I was talking about the shirts, but the gloves might be my next purchase.

-Gary

13. open choke

open choke TS Member

I use underarmor top and bottoms sock liners with merino wool socks.

The beretta merino wool jacket and asentioned before a hat to cover the ears. I use a fleece beenie hat with ear covers built in

14. Grizzlyman

Grizzlyman Member

SmartWool long underwear top & bottoms work extremely well, yet don't make you feel like you are wearing a trash bag. Great stuff! Layer with micro fleece, a good jacket and a windbloc ski hat. In other words...break out the duck hunting gear!

15. dds4horse

dds4horse Member

basicly just drape yourself in under armour. oscar

16. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Since attire is covered I have a suggestion if you plan on shooting in the worst(windiest) most awful conditions...have a gun setup just for this condition for use on those days to maximize your score when the going would a very touch road with your normal trap gun...I switch to a shorter LOP sporting clay gun just to not have to change things on my regular gun and practice on awful non league winter nights just to be prepared to deal with whatever Maw Nature decides to throw at me if shes PMSing...I paid dearly scorewise trying to stick with my high shooter on a couple of just such league days when the targets were really dancing

17. powderburn

powderburn Member

Hi
    I've found that one of those pocket handwarmers that use the stick fuel inserts work nicely. Also if you can rig up a way to put two of these on your lower back next to your kidneys, that will help keep your whole body warm. Alot of blood flows through that area and this helps keep your whole body warm. I've shot in terrible cold weather over the years and found myself sweating out there in the low teens. layers with the outer layer being a good windbreak is a must. Carharts and insulated boots. un hook the side of the bibs where your butt stock is placed. Also, the targets are harder in the winter. Seems to take a couple more pellets to break them. Since shotgun patterns lose energy very quickly right out of the barrel, and also that powder doesn't burn as well in the winter, getting on targets quicker, I feel, is important. If you ride targets til they peak, this may be difficult for you. Good luck!

18. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Florida. HMB

19. slayer

slayer Well-Known Member

Windstopper outerwear wool blend underwear and a lot of big headgear. The bomber hats are the best. You snap one side when you are shooting. Bill

20. MMcVitty

MMcVitty Member

Wow. Lot's of good info. Thanks for the advice. - Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.