1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for protecting my hearing

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jclark1975, Apr 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jclark1975

jclark1975 TS Member

So I'm finally trying to be diligent about my hearing. Probably a little too late, but I figure I can't let things get worse. I'm a musician and already have issues from standing next to loud drummers + amplifiers. I'm dealing with that separately. Any advice on either molded in-ear plugs or muffs. I primarily shoot trap once a week. I've been bothered by the ear muffs I have as they tend to hit the stock of the gun. Are there any low profile out there. How about in-ear pieces? My audiologist recommended just a solid ear plug, but wanted to get some advice.

Thanks!

- Jon

2. trapshootin hippie

trapshootin hippie Well-Known Member

Huhhhhh? Watt???????? Whatja sayyyyyyyyy?? Kin ye speak up a bit there young feller??

Gne J

3. semperfi909

semperfi909 Well-Known Member

The molded in-ear type are about as good as you can get without muffs. Make sure the stuff is injected to get a deep mold rather than just pushed in the outer ear if you really want them to work right.

Charlie

4. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Cheap expanding foam "roll them and stick them in your ear until they touch your brain" ear plugs work as well as most anything else.

5. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

Shoot archery.

6. k1200ltc509

k1200ltc509 Member

Zara, I guess this means u r back?

7. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

I use both the molded plugs and muffs together!!

If the muffs you've tried prior hit the comb and that noise bothered you, that alone told you something also!! It told you your head is moving in relation to the comb where the rear sight is located??

Hap

8. Tailbuster

Tailbuster TS Member

I use molded plugs along with muffs. The most success I've had is with the muffs that go around the back of the head instead of over. For the plugs, if you can get someone to mold you a pair that would be best, but Cabelas carries a clay like (almost like 2 part epoxy) that works well for about $18. or so. You can get electronic muffs or without in the back of the head design. Some are low profile which I would definitely do. The only issue with the muffs by themselves is they tend to get knocked by the stock or on recoil. A dislodged muff isn't doing anything. Thats where the double plugging come in. I suppose the inner ear electronic ear plugs might be the best solution, but I've never tried them.

9. myevh3

myevh3 TS Member

I use cheap foam inserts coupled with Pro Ear 300 ear muffs turned all the way up. Can hear everything and get double protection.

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Roll up plugs and good muffs. Nothing less.

Neil

11. AlanM

AlanM Member

Talk to your audiologist about molded plugs, that's who made my ear plugs and they were cheaper than having them done at a shoot. That way you will be sure that they fit properly.

Alan

12. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Don't trust your hearing to the molded plugs. Lots of people have had the same experience as Fred with the molded plugs, including me. Use the disposable foam plugs.

13. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

foam?

Check:

http://www.discountsafetygear.com/ear-plugs-disposable.html

14. Quack Shot

Quack Shot Active Member

I use the disposable foam style plugs and use a set of muffs on top, if I'm shooting indoors or shooting the heavier stuff. A good set of muffs for shotgun shooting is made by Peltor. They are called the "Shotgunner" muff. they have a relief on the bottom of the cups to allow room for the stock. They sometimes will bump the stock, but not when I'm actually shooting the target.

The Howard Leight disposables seem to work well enough that I can't hear the puller call "Lost". You must roll them and insert them properly into the ear canal. There are directions included with them, so you need to read them. I've seen many shooters jut hang them in the ear canal and I'm sure they aren't getting the benefit that is offered by the design.

An audiologist is a good person the talk to. I had one test the various combinations and we found one that works for indoor environments. We found that the disposables were sufficient for most light work outdoors. It is important to get some that fit properly. We tried several types and found one that works the best in "MY" ears. I'm not sure how accurate the testing was, but I'm confident that they work as intended

I don't care for the custom molded ones, but that is my preference. I'm sure that they are good when properly fitted. I just worry about something growing on them over time.

Whatever you do, use something that is proven to save your hearing. I don't have any confidence in the hype behind the "Valve" or "Piston" style plugs that stop only the higher levels of sound. If I need to hear sopmething on the line, I can loosen one plug slightly and then seal it up when it's time to shoot. Muffs are just as simple.

15. zarathrusta

zarathrusta TS Member

GIBBS: Like Jesus, I never really left.

I will tell you that I have been practicing like a man possessed. Are you shooting the State Shoot and/or The Grand this year? I'm looking for a squad to shoot on.

You got mail.

16. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

Moldex are the best foam plugs. Just the right softness and expansion. Muffs are overkill if you use Moldex.

17. WoodsonEnt

WoodsonEnt Active Member

I use and sell the Pro-Ears line of electronic muffs. They have a Sporting Clay Gold model that is designed for shooters. The muffs have a tapered, chop-side cup to them, and they have not interfered with the stock for me. I have sold lots of them, and I haven't had any complaints. They have a 26NRR rating. While wearing them...they amplify conversation, but when gun goes off, the amplification shuts down. They are pricey, but nice. I also sell the do-it-yourself molded plugs also. Got to my website above, click Web-Store, then click hearing protection. They are all listed there. If you have any questions, please contact me.

Matt Woodson

Phone: 270.804.5454

18. 221

221 Banned User Banned TS Supporters

The best advice is a minimum of Howard Leight foam ,NNR 33.... and the best is the foam and the highest NNR rated Ear Muffs you can find. Never shop for ear protection by price.

FORGET YOU EVER HEARD OF MOLDED PLUGS......They are not safety rated.....there's a reason for that. They may mask the sound while not offering your ear drums next to any protection.

Buy a 100 pack of the Howard Leights and leave the box in your vehicle....and you'll always have new clean ear protection.

Those of you who have good hearing, cannot imagine how valuable it is to protect. Just going deaf is bad enough, add an extreme case of tinnitus to the mix and it can be crippling.

Don't waste what you have on foolish trinkets.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.