1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for Novice please on POI

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bushmaster1313, May 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

An accomplished shooter at the range told me I needed to determine my POI.

He said to shoot at a cardboard target at short range.

How far should I be from the target and how do I translate from that distance to POI when shooting at flying clays.

Thank you

Lou

2. Bushmaster1313

Bushmaster1313 Well-Known Member

EE

I think the shooter said something like that at the range.

How big should I expect the pattern to be at 13 yards?

Thanks

Lou

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

you should get a hole with a full choke at 13yards, Neil W. postings got me on track. My search came up blank for the posting.

4. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

13 yards is for POI, back up to 35-40 yds for pattern.

Don

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

If you do the above you'll have most of it, Lou.

Neil

6. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

There's an old English rule for gunfitting it's approximate but works as a guide line @16 yrds each inch off on your impacct will translate to around 1/16 inch movement on comb.

The 13 yrd is good for the X3 to determin 40 yrd impact.

Joe

7. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

I have incorporated into my tests, firing several rounds at a clay target that is resting on a backstop from various distances, such as 20, 30 and 40 yards. There must be two important requirements to conduct this test, a safe back-stop with NO chance of flyover and a back-stop high enough to allow your "hold point" when aiming or your normal breaking point when shooting the target. If you cannot shoot your normal "point of aim" it will effect your POI.

A third requirement is to have a backstop that will allow the resulting shot pattern to "display" its' impact on the soil. The real-time effect of seeing the shot hits the target and how the pattern also covers all the area around the target, is quite effective compared to just shooting on paper alone.

8. jbshep

jbshep Member

A little time with the pattern board is helpful, but don't get too serious with it. Just be sure it shoots straigt and approximatly on target. Then go to the range. The POI for is all in the comb height. The best way for you to determine your POI with your gun is to shoot it at trap targets. Put in the tightest choke you have and watch where/how they break. Raise or lower your comb until you are in the middle if the breaking target; then lock down the comb and forget about it.

9. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

I guess left and right is of no consequence?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.