1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice for new shooter

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by snowbird14, Jan 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snowbird14

snowbird14 TS Member

Hi, new to shooting, entering my third year. I've seen some shooters, shooting with O/U shotguns using the bottom barrel and some the top for singles and handicap, is this just preference or is there a logic for using one over the other?

2. chourico

chourico TS Member

If you use the bottom barrel you will have less recoil.I say get an unsingle and forget about it.LOL.

3. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

There is mantra that will have you believe the lower barrel will rise less when the gun recoils but there's likely a more common reason to use one or the other. Most O/U guns have different chokes in the two barrels. A fellow might favor the lower barrel, usually more open choke, when standing from 16 yards to maybe the 22 or even the 24 yard line while selecting the upper barrel with a tighter choke when further back. Then there's this; sometimes the two barrels don't shoot exactly to the same place and one fellow likes barrel A while another may prefer barrel B in their guns. Lotsa reasons mostly in our heads......bdodd

4. snowbird14

snowbird14 TS Member

Thanks for the info

Part two, How should I set this 682 up to shoot all three, singles, handicap. doubles. Curently have lower barrel set too 80/20 full choke which I have been shooting singles and handicap with. Have not shot to many doubles and have no idea how a double gun should be set up. I started with a older BT99 and have been thinking about sending the stock somewhere to have an adjustable comb installed and shooting it for singles and handicap. All suggestion appriciated.

Thanks

5. Barry C. Roach

Barry C. Roach Well-Known Member

What's your yardage?

6. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You should have asked them. I'll bet if you ask three different shooters, all three will give you a different answer. If its not a older gun with fixed chokes their really is no ryme or reason for it. You will get abit more barrel jump with the top barrel, other than that I'd say the shooter is trying to find out which one works better for him/her. Break-em all. Jeff

7. snowbird14

snowbird14 TS Member

Still at twenty

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

Shoot what ever barrel you like for what ever reason.

The adjustable comb is something you will probably want particularly as you start shooting longer handicap. This is not an exotic or expensive modification. Check out Tronspace.com the guy does great work.

You probably won't know for sure where the gun is hitting for you until you build consistency into your game and that takes a bunch of practice. This stuff about 50/50 80/20 etc. really doesn't mean much, what is important is where the gun shoots for you. A bit of professional coaching is probably your best investment at this point as it will give you alot better direction for improving your game. A good pro will quickly be able to determine what you need to do to get the gun shooting where you look.

9. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

BT 99 for singles and handicap is a good idea. Set the O/U up for doubles, open choke first shot, tight choke for the second shot. You need the second barrel to shoot flat, but that can change depending on how fast you shoot the first bird. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.