1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advice About Kolar Max Trap

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by everettjunior, May 31, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I had the chance to shoot a Kolar Max Trap 34" unsingle. I shot 50 rounds of practice from my handicap yardage and center punched about 47 of them. After a small comb adjustment I felt little to no recoil. I was wondering if 50 targets is a fair judgement of what to expect from a gun. Also was wondering about expirences that you have had with Kolar in respect to gun reliability and also quality of service after the purchase. Any information would be greatly apreciated before I make any sort of firm decision.

Everett

2. Shawn

Shawn Member

50 Targets would not be enough targets for me to decide on a gun.

I would need a several thousand targets to decide on a gun.

Of course that is not always possible.

Shawn

3. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I believe Krieghoff offers a test drive program but I am not sure that Kolar does.

Everett

4. Dave S

Dave S Active Member

I think Hal Dupont offers test drives on both.

5. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I will look into that Dave, thank you!

Everett

6. dudleyone

dudleyone TS Member

DuPont offers test drives on Kolar & Kreighoff, but not for several thousand rounds. I have owned a Kolar for several years and service is just outstanding.

7. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

I was very impressed with the wood on the gun and also the way it fit me. I think it had a #2 stock on it. I have never picked up a gun that fit me that well and hit targets as hard as it did.

8. Border Bandit

Border Bandit Well-Known Member

Everett, I knew it was the gun for me after the first station on the practice trap. The gun is rock solid with the best service in the business, not to mention as good a custom stock fitting from Jeff Mainland as you'll get anywhere.

In the rare chance you'll need factory service, you can expect to have your gun back in a week. I'm shooting 1 1/8 loads at max vel, and as you've learned, recoil is not an issue.

Good luck with your choice. BTW, I saw the new lower rib Max TA at the Cardinal Center, yesterday, and if you're not a long neck, like me, it might be worth a look.

best...mike

9. darr

darr Well-Known Member

I have put about 6000 targets through mine.I have not needed any service but they have answered a few questions for me and are always helpful.My Kolar patterns like no gun I have ever seen.It will smoke ball a target from the 16 with an IC choke in it.I had never spent this kind of money before on a gun.But just like you I shot 2 rounds with one and I had to have one.It fit perfect.Mine has a #4 stock.

Darr

10. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

I shot a Guerini, a Blaser, and a Kolar at last year's Grand - the place to really try out and learn about your likes and dislikes. The Blaser and Guerini are nice guns, but seemed to recoil way too much for me, anyway. Kolar spent quite a bit of time fitting a Kolar try gun to me and furnished shells to use. I vowed if I ever decide to get another gun it WILL be a Kolar. No recoil and smoked all the targets. I am sold. Regards, Ed

11. Riverrunt

Riverrunt Member

Everett,

You have a PM.

John Harden

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

You can't please all of the people all of the time, but Kolar tries harder than any other company I have ever dealt with. I just wish I was up to shooting to level that my T/A Max is. I got my custom stock back just before I had my recent shoulder surgery and I am having a difficult time not shooting it. Bill Malcolm

13. Kolar233

Kolar233 TS Member

I purchased a used Kolar combo last year at the Autumn Grand. The setup I had, shot way too high for my liking and try as I might, I was not able to shoot it. I called Keith Spranger at Kolar and was so surprised at how well he treated me. Remember this was a used gun I bought so they at Kolar had no dog in the fight so to speak. Keith asked questions and sent pictures, ask more questions and I sent pictures and finally we came upon something that works. I can't say enough good things about how well everyone at Kolar has treated me. If I ever have a desire to buy a new gun, there is only one place I will look.

BTW their field reps Aaron Willoughby and Mitch Loveless are cut from the same mold as the people in Racine. If you get a Kolar, you will never regret it.

Skip Dillin

14. bjk1972

bjk1972 Member

I also bought a used Kolar last spring and have had nothing but great customer service. Keith Spranger should write a book about how to treat people. He is promp and goes way out of his way to help, even with silly inquiries I've had.Got to give props to a good American company.I'll be checking out the T/A s myself this weekend @ Cardinal.

15. daddiooo

daddiooo TS Supporters TS Supporters

Kolar offers THE BEST customer service on the planet, period. There are so many companies out there, and not just gun manufacturers, that could take a serious lesson from these guys about how to treat customers.

If you hammered 47 out of 50 caps with a new gun...imagine how good your scores will be after 2500 targets. Go for it.

Kolar owner since 2004.

Dave

16. everettjunior

everettjunior TS Member

Thank you for all of the information everyone. I want to make sure I take a loot at all of my options but I am really leaning towards the Kolar.

Everett

17. Riverrunt

Riverrunt Member

Everett

You have another PM

John Harden

18. below 0

below 0 TS Member

I've owned mine for 8+ years now and can honestly say that it is the finest shooting shotgun I've owned. I've had a Kreighof and liked it pretty well. but am in love with the Kolar. Dale

19. tincanman

tincanman Member

Excellent customer service and U.S. made. If the gun feels good to you, buy it. The company behind the gun is excellent.

20. Riverrunt

Riverrunt Member

Everett,

Check your PM

John Harden

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

kolar max trap