1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advantages of Various Barrel Configurations

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by pendennis, Oct 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

All, this is not meant to be a flame war, and I would like to keep things as objective as possible.

On the breakdown-type shotgun, there are several different configurations as I understand it as (for simplicity's sake) -

The Under-single - the bottom barrel of an over/under design.

The over-single - the top barrel of an over/under design.

"Mid-single - the "middle" barrel configuration, a la KS-5.

Single barrel - based on a design similar to side-by-side.

(Did I miss anything above??)

Taking into consideration the necessary stock configurations such as monte carlo, adjustable comb, and the placement of the top rib -

Is there a preference among shooters for one over the other? Please take into consideration felt or perceived recoil, and the need for recoil reduction devices.

As background, I own a Perazzi MT-6 under-single, a BT-99 Plus, and a Remington 870 configured with an adjustable comb trap stock. I've also tried out Beretta, Krieghoff, and Browning guns of various designs. In my limited experience, the undersingle recoils more in a straight line, with less upward motion.

I'm very interested in your experiences, good and bad, with the various types.

Thanks in advance.

Best,
    Dennis

2. smsnyder

smsnyder Well-Known Member

i think the unsingle barrel gives you the best view of the target with less recoil.

3. YODA100

YODA100 TS Member

Did you leave out the over/under for a specific reason?

4. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

It has been reported here that some people cannot shoot an unsingle well for some reason. I use a high rib top single and feel that I have all the advantages of an unsingle with respect to recoil. I would like to try an unsingle but I would make sure I liked it before making a big financial commitment.

5. pendennis

pendennis Well-Known Member

Yoda100 - Yes, I specifically left out the O/U, because it is a variation on the single shot trap, albeit heavier sometimes than the single barrel. While there are a great many shooters using the O/U, my interest has become focused on the single barrel.

If you would like to comment on the O/U in the relationships I've outlined, please do so. I'm seeking knowledge.

Best,
    Dennis

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Dear Mike

There seems to be a learning curve to shoot the Unsingle well. I bought one years ago and it took quite a while to get acclimated to it. Now, I shoot it well, but with this said, most folks can pick up a Top Single, single, such a BT-99, mid single, such as KS-5, fixed breech, such as 1100 or 870, or O/U and shoot lights out.

Some folks can pick up anything and shoot lights out. We have a 15 year old at our gun club that ran a 100 with my Unsingle gun (and ammo) the first time he ever shot it! GRRRR!!! This young upstart also shot my release 870 Comp ten shots and proceeded to run a 50 straight. The first time he ever shot a release! And no, he did not shoot the trap house. LOL

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

I have shot a top single and a "standard single (BT-99) quite a bit. My primary gun is an un-single (K-80). I bought the un-single K-80 25 years ago because I was under the common myth at the time that an un-single was a bit better with perceived recoil.

I can't perceive any actual differences among the handling and shooting characteristics of these different configurations as long as the stocks fit me reasonably well. The only real advantage I have discovered with my un-single is that it provides more space between the rib and the barrel and this makes it a little easier to keep my ports clean.

Pat Ireland

8. Hitapair

Hitapair Active Member

Like your observation, Pat!

9. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Once a rib is tall enough to eliminate heat risers, more is not necessarily better. The higher the barrel is relative to your shoulder, the more it rotates upward under recoil, affecting POI. The more you cant your gun, the lower the rib you want. And although you didn't ask, tapered ribs used with beads in an actual figure-8 alignment, or preferably with rib showing between the beads improves target acquisition better than moving to an unsingle using buried beads or the "snowman" configuration most call figure-8.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.