1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advantages of long forcing cones and porting????

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by racer, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. racer

racer TS Member

No advantage to the shooter...

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Ernie, The advantage of reduced forcing cones is to allow the shot to enter the barrel without hitting the lip at the end of the chamber. You can see this lip on all of the older barrels. As the shot leaves the hull and enters the barrel the pellets at the top hit this lip and become deformed (out of round). They can then fly off and leave bulk of the pattern and become wasted. The reduced forceing cones help keep these flyers in your pattern and this works at it best when used with the newer type overbored barrels at the same time. Now as far as Porting goes, porting will help with barrel jump after the shot. This will allow a faster second follow up shot and will allow the shooter to better see the broken target even in a single shot game as trap to help keep your head on the gun. Now if you combine the overbored barrel, reduced forcing cones, and Porting at the end of the barrel, many say that the recoil is reduced a small amount. Not enough that you can feel the difference in a shell or two, but over a 100 target event or more during the day many find it a plus. Others will feel no difference at all. I do like the porting as I do see the broken target better after a shot. The strait aways more so than any other target. Hope this helps you out some. Break-em all. Jeff

3. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Jeff pretty well summed it up

4. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

Don't know about long forcing cones....never shot a gun with them so can't compare, but as for porting, don't wast your money...

5. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

They reduce the value of your gun to the point no one will buy it so you end up keeping it for long enough to learn to shoot it.

6. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

It's my understanding that the shot in a shell is completely separated from the bore by the walls of the cup of the wad which carries the shot through the bore. If that's the case, then the concept of the shot hitting a lip in the bore (and being deformed by the experience) is meaningless.

Further, I had always thought that the lip I see in some bores near the chamber is just far enough down the bore to accommodate the shell when the crimp is fully opened, so that the wad sees a smooth surface as it leaves the shell.

Any experts know whether I am right on either score?

Ted K.

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

There is, and will continue to be much debate over this subject.

Some contend that porting, overboring, and lengthening forcing cones reduces recoil, improves patterns, and increases your muzzle velocity, will get you 16 targets over your shooting career that you otherwise wouldn't have gotten, and may even cure the common cold.

Others contend that anything that reduces the mass of the gun and increases the muzzle velocity of the ejecta must increase the recoil. From a purely "physics" standpoint.

Neil Winston has done a few tests that showed, at least for the cases he tested, that none of this stuff really does much of anything.

If you are absolutely and utterly convinced it will help, by all means, do it.

If you believe that the benefits are dubious, you may well be advised to spend the money you otherwise would have spent on forcing cones and porting on a clinic from a good, reputable shooter. Which will probably get you more targets than porting or forcing cones would have.

I believe I'll have another sip of African coffee.

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

I join those who prefer their barrels unmolested unless there is a flaw in the original machining. I had a barrel "done" by a highly-regarded barrelsmith five or six years ago - backbored from .730" to .745" with a lengthened forcing cone and rechoked - and didn't see or feel any before-after difference. I didn't have it ported because I once owned two identical trap guns except one had porting and one didn't. No one who shot them could see or feel any difference in them, either.

However, there may be something to say for the confidence factor that having a barrel professionally "done" can influence. Believing that their gun shoots better could be important to some people.

Ed

9. TNCoach

TNCoach Member

timb99,

I enjoyed reading all of Neil Winston's statistical observations, but without him sending a barrel to one of the "masters" like Jim Eyster I don't think his lecture contains much merit.

Anyone can go out with a barrel hone and fail to make a difference only a true craftsman can tune a barrel.

Ernie,

I wouldn't hestiate to send another gun to Jim he's simply the best!

Less recoil and a fantastic pattern...
    TNCoach

10. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

You Guys are right theres nothing to overbored barrels and reduced forcing cones!!! That's why all brownings have had them since 1992 in there invector plus barrels and all the Beretta's have had them since they went to the Optima bore barrrels and all Kolars are now 740 bores or even up to 750 bores. But all you Guys out there with the old reg. invector chokes and Reg. Moble chokes, and any other .725 bore guns, you just keep on thinking my gun has great patterns as you send it off to get barrel work and tuned up!!! Yes, I want mine from the factory not a aftermarket job. Any of you guys out there switch over to the new one piece plastic wads yet??? LMAO. Break-em all. Jeff

11. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

gets rid of that nasty factory warrantee also!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.