1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advantages of an unsingle?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kerz, Mar 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerz

Kerz Member

Just wondering what the advantages of an unsingle are vs O/U. If one is used to shooting an O/U, it would seem the handling/swing would be significantly different.
    Vic

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Less felt recoil due to the position of the barrel being more inline with your shoulder.

3. 101voodoo

101voodoo TS Member

If it's a combo and the unsingle and O/U are somewhat close in length and weight (ex 34/32) swing shouldn't be much different. If you're talking two different guns, well, they're two different guns.

Tron mentioned the recoil issue; I think the biggest advantage is the additional 'view' you get without the barrel blocking part of your vision. Also, the height of the rib helps with heat waves coming off the barrel.

Jim

4. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Unsingle vs O/U.....

Typically the Unsingle barrel of a combo will be 2 to 4 inches longer that the O/U barrels, for much the same "handling/swing", while offering a longer sight plane.

John C. Saubak

5. BILL GRILL

BILL GRILL Well-Known Member

I shot a k-80 unsingle for a few years, then went to a top single and shot my best scores to date. Both guns fit also I shoot one eye.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

The unsingle has two perceived advantages. First, at least in theory, the lower set barrel means that recoil forces are in a straighter line, meaning for some, less perceived recoil. Second, for some the high rib eliminates the distraction that the barrel can give, and provides a clearer view of the target. Better target acquisition equals more hits. However, some do not seem able to shoot an unsingle well. This may be due to some subconciously using the barrel as part of the sight picture, and without this reference, they are unable to align the barrel properly with the target. Thus more misses. Another approach would be simply to add a higher rib to a top single. This would provide some of flavor of the unsingle in that the barrel would be isolated from the sight picture, as it is by the unsingle. Would not give the perceived reduction in recoil of course. In the end, it really just boils down to a matter of preference, and which configuration feels better and works better for you. I have a Beretta unsingle, and for me,it works very well. A close shooting friend, however, prefers his Beretta top single. (both of us have a combo, and use the o/u barrels at doubles.)

7. guido

guido Member

Also, you look so good with an unsingle.

GUIDO

8. MXSHOOTER

MXSHOOTER TS Member

Un-singles only look good if you can shoot a winning score with them, I can not and went from AA to C, After going back to a top single my scores steadily increased and I am now back to AA. I went from an MX-2000 RS combo that I shot for 2 years of steadily declining scores to a MX-2000 top single combo for the last 3 years. I could not tell any differance in recoil all though some claim they can

9. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

jimrich60

"The unsingle has two perceived advantages. First, at least in theory, the lower set barrel means that recoil forces are in a straighter line, meaning for some, less perceived recoil."

Just a question. If Kerz wants to know

"Just wondering what the advantages of an unsingle are vs O/U."

If you are shooting the bottom barrel of an O/U are you not receiving the same perceived recoil as an unsingle? After all you are shooting the lower barrel in both cases. If this is so why would it be an advantage?

BTW Tron said this also and I am not in agreement with him either.

Bob Lawless

10. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

Bob,

I think those guys just didn't read the question carefully.

11. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Top singles point more naturally and have less effect from cant. Un singles offer better visibility for the two eyed shooter and theoretically less perceived recoil. A new gun will always help the profits of the gun manufacture.

12. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Email:
    Date: Mon, Mar 23, 2009 - 07:55 PM ET
    Website Address:

jimrich60

"The unsingle has two perceived advantages. First, at least in theory, the lower set barrel means that recoil forces are in a straighter line, meaning for some, less perceived recoil."

Just a question. If Kerz wants to know

"Just wondering what the advantages of an unsingle are vs O/U."

If you are shooting the bottom barrel of an O/U are you not receiving the same perceived recoil as an unsingle? After all you are shooting the lower barrel in both cases. If this is so why would it be an advantage?

BTW Tron said this also and I am not in agreement with him either.

Bob Lawless

Bob:

You are right. I was, of course, comparing an unsingle with a top single. If shooting the lower barrel of an O/U, you do of course get the same effect in perceived recoil, at least in theory. My bad for not reading Kerz' question properly. The other "advantage", of course remains, as does one that I did not mention, and that is that the higher rib area should, again in theory, allow for better dispersion of heat waves, and thus less sight picture distortion on hot days. Interestingly enough though, I think we are seeing fewer and fewer O/Us at trap singles. This seems to be because more shooters perceive the single barrel to handle better and more naturally than the O/u, or for other reasons, but does seem to be the trend.
    Jim R

13. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

jimrich60

"This seems to be because more shooters perceive the single barrel to handle better and more naturally than the O/u, or for other reasons, but does seem to be the trend."

I will say I agree with you more shooters shoot singles whether they are top or bottom barrel. I have shot an unsingle for singles and handicap since 1991. The gun is actually a combo but no matter what I do I can't get comfortable shooting singles with the O/U it just doesn't feel right.

Bob Lawless

14. DTrykow

DTrykow Active Member

No advantage. Same recoil, and on a high-end gun same weight. I've never seen heat waves so I cna't comment on them. Now Comapring Un-single to Top-single those are apples and oranges. Dave T.

15. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

"I will say I agree with you more shooters shoot singles whether they are top or bottom barrel. I have shot an unsingle for singles and handicap since 1991. The gun is actually a combo but no matter what I do I can't get comfortable shooting singles with the O/U it just doesn't feel right".

Bob Lawless

Bob:

I have to agree with you there. I have pretty much run the gamut, starting trap with an 870 pump for some years, then going to an O/U, moving into a series of BT99s, and finally into a Beretta unsingle combo now. While the O/U was okay, the single barrel (whether the mid-single BT99 or my current unsingle) just feels right at singles and handicap. I have tried the O/U barrels at singles a few times but it just does not feel right. But necessary for doubles and works fine there. Purely perception of course, but thats half the game anyway.

Jim R

16. Nuts

Nuts TS Member

unisingle, top single, o/u, doubles gun.

Beware of the man (or woman) who shots one gun for everything.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

advantage of unsingle

purpose of unsingle shotgun
single shot vs unsingle trap gun

top single vs unsingle

unsingle

unsingle trap gun

what is the advantage of an unsingle trap

what is the purpose of the unsingle shot gun