1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Advantage of Single Barrel?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by JD Jake, Jun 22, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JD Jake

JD Jake Member

In singles is there any advantage to using a single barrel gun compared to an over-under? I've always shot an over-under and I'm wondering if there is any reason a single barrel gun could improve my game.

Thanks,

Jake

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Leo Harrison, Paul Shaw, many shoot an O/U for singles... Don't paint with such a broad brush...

Jim

3. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

A single barrel is stronger, the locking mechanism is designed to shoot I believe way more targets than an o/u. Further more the trigger can be made much simpler, faster & the firing pin can strike the primer staight on & not on an angle like the lower firing pin of an o/u. The biggst factor is endurance & reliability. This is just my opinion based on observation & comparison of my Beretta 682 Gold E to my Infinity.

Phil Berkowitz

4. BigJohn270

BigJohn270 Member

What about a combo? The firing pins would be the same, etc.
    I am guessing you are talking about a dedicated single barrel gun as opposed to using a single barrel on a combo.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Mainly because single barrel guns emulate the handleing and pointing characteristics of a Mod 12!

6. mirage1

mirage1 Member

Although I shoot an o/u I believe a single barrel gun affords
    you more visibility-better target acquisition.IMHO.

7. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

What ever the advantage of a single barrel is, it is something for the individual to decide for themselves.

That being said, I do like shooting my 682s with the single more than the O/U barrels and I have better scores as a result. Real or imagined, whats the difference. I can't say that the single barrel will help your game but it has helped alot of guys and they are popular on the trap field.

Try out a BT99 if you get a chance, it will give you a good idea of what the single barrel is all about.

8. FRedmon

FRedmon Active Member

Ask Leo about his O/U?

FRedmon

9. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

For a number of years,, through the 90s, I shot a Rem. 3200 for all games. I found great comfort in the one-gun-does-all mentality. It was also likely my most prolific and successful years in trap events. I was a little younger and less disabled then......Bob Dodd

10. texasbilly

texasbilly Member

I have a Winchester 101 single barrel trap for sale. At $750 it is much less expensive than Browning BT99, and handles better (IMHO). Why don't you buy the gun and see for yourself?

Happy shooting from Bill T.

contact me at texasbilly@comcast.net

11. Rick Barker

Rick Barker Well-Known Member

Because most people shoot a longer single barrel than they do an o/u, they also have the slight advantage of a longer sight radius. While the increase might not be much, a 32 single compared to a 30 o/u or a 34 single vs. a 32 o/u, it does never the less help your shooting, by decreasing the miss margin. There are a few singles with 35 & 36 inch barrels which is a lot to swing. Most auto-loaders and pumps match longer singles for sight radius, because they have 30 inch barrel and a six inch long receiver. If the receiver is grooved along the top, it adds to the effectiveness of rib on the barrel.

12. BMC

BMC Member

I shoot an 32" OU for singles and doubles and a 34" single barrel for handicap. I enjoy shooting both guns. The only difference for me is if there is any wind at all it will, at some point and often many times, catch my barrel mid swing causing me to miss. This isn't such a big deal in singles where there is more barrel movement as compared to shooting from long yardage with less barrel movement and an increased need for accuracy. Although a few weeks ago the only target I dropped in singles was when the wind suddenly started blowing from the side for a few moments. Wind and stacked barrels is much tougher than wind with a single barrel.

13. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    LOL<br>
    <br>
    You bet there's an advantage to a single barrel. You can have a gas operated
    semi-auto and reduce felt recoil to go with it.

14. BigM-Perazzi

Brian's got the best answer yet....

15. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I can't think of a distinct advantage to shooting a single over an O/U. For me it was a matter of convenience. I shot a model 12 for singles and caps an a O/U for doubles. Only because I am not very good at operating the corn husker in doubles.

I got tired of dragging two guns around all the time and cleaning two guns all the time. So I bought a combo gun, At that time my out look changed It made sense to me that I shoot more singles and Handicap than doubles. So I use the single because for the same type of swing and action the single make more sense to me. Doubles is a much different game as it is two targets not one therefore two barrels not one. Singles one target one barrel handicap the same.

So to me it is what is practical and common sense nothing more. Example singles and handicap hold points are the same for me so the feel of the gun for both games is the same also.

Doubles different hold points than singles and caps. So I second the statement about what work for the individual is what is needed.

Bob Lawless

16. BigM-Perazzi

Dave Long, Clay Target Champion, uses an 1100 for singles/caps and a browning O/U for doubles....

Leo uses his O/U for singles and Doubles because it gives him more time on his doubles gun. Single barrel on caps...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.