1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

advantage of longer barrel/disadvantages???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by knutershooter, Jun 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Taking into account geometry etc, longer sight plane, swing etc what are the advantages of a longer barrel 34 vs 30 etc. Any input would be great. does the longer barrel help at handicap?

Thanks!

2. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Never witnessed a short barrel win consistently ....

3. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Is the a geometric reason? Swing? Can you elaborate?

4. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

BigM, if you have never witnessed a shorter barrel win consistently, you should watch Rachel Hopkins shoot her 32" MX10........she wins rather consistently.

Use the barrel length that fits you.

5. dhip

dhip Active Member

I was wondering if you should stay with a barrel length no longer than your inseam length.That way no danger in smacking barrel on ground when you open the action aand are waiting for your turn to shoot,plus it would look proportionately to you legs while waiting.

Doug H.

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

What's most important is the feel of the swing TO YOU and the OVERALL length of the gun (i.e. how far the front sight is from your eye when shouldered). A 30 bbl in a pump gun or semi-auto seems plently long to me but a 32" on a SBT seems a little short. Beyond sight radius and weight distribution it's mostly mental. But "mental" doesn't mean it won't work. I've tricked people into thinking I "fixed" their gun and then, after they raved about how much better it shoots, told them it was just sitting in my safe for the last month. If you think it helps, it does.

-Gary

7. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

Hunter, I don't consider 32" a short bbl....

8. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

To elaborate on BigM's last statement, a Short barrel in Trap would be 28" or less. 30"-34" make up the majority of Trap guns.

Doug--Interesting theory and i suppose if thats how you'd prefer to choose barrel length its your prerogative. I shoot a 34" barreled Beretta and have never raked my barrel on the ground. My inseam is 4" shorter. It just takes paying attention like gun safety.

9. shotgun1957

shotgun1957 TS Member

i shoot a 32 in consistently in handicap which i,m shooting from yhe 22 yd line
    i love the swing and the weight of a bt99 with a 32 in, barrel

10. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

If you're a tall guy the longer barrel reaches your toe better without having to lean over awkwardly.

John C. Saubak

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

advantages of a longer barrel fo trap

advantages of longer barrels

perazzi advantage