1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ADT-Parody

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 635 G, Jan 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 635 G

635 G Well-Known Member

I get a boot of the ADT commercial,with a bad guy breaking in and an operator calls a young woman in distress & asks are you ok, help is one the way. An NRA member should say to the operator, I'm racking my shotgun. Dispatch an abulance the intruder is going to need one.---A similar add for the NRA would really help membership.

Lou

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

When seconds count, the police are just minutes away.

3. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Ever seen an alarm that went off immediately. Most I have seen take at least 90 seconds when triggered, this eliminates false alarms. It also gives the bad guys time to do what they want.

4. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Sorry, Lead man, that's not correct.

Places where you enter, like front and rear doors usually have a delay from 45-120 seconds.

windows and interior detectors are usually instant.

there a lot more fine points in security systems, this is just a basic normal setup.

The joke in the ADT commercials is twofold, 1: burglar smashes in front door. Rear of the house is way preferable.

2: Operator asks "are you ok?" Never happens, monitoring services ask for account passwords before doing anything in case of perp answering phone.

"I'm sending help".........that one makes me pee my pants laughing. Like,"That's ok, never mind, I'll be FREAKIN DEAD WHEN THEY GET HERE!!"

HM

5. Lead Man

Lead Man TS Member

Actually the guy on the commercial comes through the door (on the commercial in my area) which allows for a delay, in which case I would not be wrong according to your post.

Even when the alarm triggers through a window let's see an operator call that fast. I have ADT and have set the alarm off, the call never comes that fast. Your experience may be different mine is not.

6. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Same with 911 !

Test........dail 911, then dial Domino's Pizza...see who gets to you FIRST !

7. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

That's your problem, you have ADT.

Emergency 24 makes the call to the premises, the intrusion has set up a screen for the operator and a click to call the authorities. If the premises does not answer, the authorities are called immediately.

I have never, repeat never, seen the front door used as an intrusion point.

I'm sure it may happen somewhere.

The stupid thing is that ADT is a complete system supplier. this means you use THEIR infrared detector whether it's right for your application or not.

Same for control panels, other peripherals, etc.

It's an easy way for a hardware store to get into the security business(happened in our town) without having to learn the business or establish supply lines.

The installer also has to pay franchise money of some sort, I don't know the ropes there.

I relied on several wholesalers for good product,and good feedback on what was not worth using no matter what the trade journals said.

These days installers are certified, and the systems are better, but of course costlier.

Yes, Quite funny, lights on and someone walking to the door, just when I would like to break in if I was a burglar.

HM

8. primed

primed Well-Known Member

My system has a 45 second delay on doors only if set in the away mode. When it's in the home mode, it triggers an instant alarm.

FWIW

Bob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.