1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Admitting you have a problem (newgunaholic)

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by st8shuter, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. st8shuter

st8shuter TS Member

Thinking of starting a support group for those of us who cant hang on to a gun more that a few weeks, i myself need intense support, the last one lasted two weeks. i cant help myself. i ve had 6 guns since the new year. Is there hope for me? are there others?

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

HI! My name is Matt and i'm a "NewGunaholic".

God grant me the serenity

to accept the things I cannot change;

courage to change the things I can;

and wisdom to know the difference!

:)

3. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

Hi Matt !!

4. DecalDude

DecalDude Active Member

My Name is Jerry and I have a problem. I find myself thinking all the time on how or what do I have to do to get the next gun. How will I justify it to my family.

Jerry Lewis

5. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

headhunter--I won't ask how you knew what to say following my post if you won't ask how i knew what to say in mine. :)

Matt

6. moore5833

moore5833 TS Member

Been one for years. I can go 6mos to a year-then i relapse. I never sell the old ones,just get new ones.

7. gus

gus Member

I thought I was cured. One day I was bored and experimented with golf. "Just wanted to try it to see how it felt". You know how that goes. Now I do it with clubs.

8. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Easiest cure for this aliment is a drop in income, layoff, loss of job etc. This will cure you real fast. Over the years, I have seen a progression as it goes something like this. When shooters have money and have this same problem as yourself, they will trade guns often. Once the money starts to dwindle, instead of trading guns, you look to trade wood. Then you start trading barrels. Some shooters get a high from getting a new gun and the challenge to tune the gun in. Once you start shooting well, you start looking for the next gun. Shooting good scores gets boring for some. You don't realize what you have done until you purchase a gun that you just can't get it to shoot a good score at all. Then panic sets in.
    Steve Balistreri

9. dmarbell

dmarbell Active Member

I probably should be a charter member, CEO and Chairman of the Board. I've owned at least six 391s - two with Moneymaker ribs. I started trap with a Walmart 390, and shot it so well I sold it. That was after buying a super trap stock for it. Missed it so much I bought another one, and put it up for sale before I received it.

I did a lot of research, and bought a Winchester Select Energy with adj comb for a good price. Shoot it better so far than any gun I've owned. Shoot it so well I almost bought that Ruger Red Label for sale on here a week or so ago.

I try to scratch my itch by buying chokes for my guns. I bought a set of Angle Port chokes for the Winchester, but it didn't keep me from bidding on the Ruger. Nor did it keep me from buying a 391 field gun earlier this week.

Maybe we could have a telephonic board meeting?

Danny

10. Basicdesignmachine

Basicdesignmachine TS Member

I’ve given up Resistance is futile, accept it and move on to the next.
    Lou

11. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

well.. I don't get to overly excited over guns anymore..... but show me a barrel I like.. and it's hard for me not to lust after it.. Either I buy it.. or try to sell it so I don't buy it... Any gun I build.. that's not my dream gun.. is just a platform awaiting another barrel..

12. trapshooter5

trapshooter5 Member

Me too! I'm like Moore5833...I have now started hoarding extra barrels for the guns that are in the safe that I never shoot!! Probably still better than buying a fancy new car or a boat that is worth nothing when I need to get rid of it. Also on the plus side-met a bunch of good folks through all the wheeling and dealing....Paul in Virginia

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

When you finally teach a gun to hit targets, it's time to kick it out of the nest and send it out into the world to break targets for someone else.
    You've done your job, and now you should find another gun that needs to be trained.

14. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

I don't have a problem ... I refuse to go to meetings!

15. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Thanks to other hobbies, the New Gun Disease comes and goes with me. But I recently made the mistake of snooping on Jaqua's website and spotted something unusual that I've been lusting after for years. But of course, it's priced about 15% over my budget (and what I think it should cost). But I WANT IT!

Maybe there should be a pill for this.

-Gary

16. timberfaller

timberfaller Well-Known Member

Been one since I was 14 years old!!

Thats 41 years and counting!

17. pedagogue

pedagogue Member

Hi, I am Jack and I am a gunaholic!!!! The difference between a gun nut and a gunaholic is gun nuts don't go to meetings. jack

18. headhunter

headhunter Well-Known Member

One day at a time boys...

19. dhip

dhip Active Member

I just make a promise to buy something,or pay for something for my wife.Then I remind her to remind me that I promised hers first every time I mention getting another gun..Haven't bought a new gun since.

Doug H.

20. train222

train222 Well-Known Member

My problem is two fold...

Yes, I admit that I have been a 'Gunaholic' almost my entire life!

But my bigger problem is my sever case of 'Collectaholicism'...

You name it ,I have collected it at one time or another....Is there a cure for this dreded Ism ?

Stu Gabriel (MrGun)

http://www.mrgunsplace.com/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.