1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustment to thr right

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gordy h, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gordy h

gordy h Member

Ive got the comb to the right as much as it go's,but still pattern shows to the left. I have an adjustable pad which way to go with that to bring me back to center? thanks Butch H

2. willing

willing Member

Remove the center bead.
    Bill

3. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

Move the front bead to the left (tiny amounts here). Bradley type allows rotation to left & right with thread movement. It does not matter if it doesn't look uniform on the end of barrel if it gets the shot on the spot. M14 rifle, for example, has this feature built in on front sight assembly. It is an accepted method of changing the point of aim. Rough it in with the front then fine tune with the rear. Regards, The TinMan

4. phirel

phirel TS Member

Butch-- Is it you or the gun. You should move the comb to align your eye directly down the barrel. The mid bead is important for recognizing proper alignment. It should be in a direct line with your eye and the front sight. The mid bead plays no role in shooting the gun.

Also, if you are trying to determine the point of impact from targets much further than 15 yards, accurately figuring out the center of the pattern is very difficult.

Pat Ireland

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Butch, I had the same problem. Dinking with the bead or pad will not solve yours. You have to get your face over to the right. That means bending the stock, or taking a rasp to it to remove wood on the left side of the stack and comb.

6. TinMan88

TinMan88 TS Member

NSXER, I follow what you are saying here and it is an element often overlooked. I shoot a lot of paper for understanding where the gun is at after a session of wanking on it. Personally, I've never seen a steady rest on a trap field. Form follows function. How is your count of broken targets at the end of the day?

I agree with ZZT that cast-off is the real solution as we can all agree that the eye IS the rear sight. Bending a stock is something that few folks are comfortable with, and it costs money and downtime. (It does however move the breach of the gun to the left, thus pointing the gun to the right). Altering the pointing reference (the item attached to the tip of the rib) so that 'what you see' vs. 'where the barrel is at' will in most cases make a noticeable difference. I think changing a sight is waaay less involved than bending the barrel, as has been discussed here a lot. Agreed? I don't want epic disagreement here. If it works, Butch H will get fewer missed targets. Regards, The TinMan

7. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

If you are right handed which I believe your stating, Is your stock cast off for a right hand shooter, to check this make sure the gun is un-loaded and look down the Bbl from the muzzle and the the stock should be off to the left
    now that is looking w/ the gun in the upright configuration, as front bead to reciever, if it is dead on there is no cast.

I have problems getting a gun w/enough cast-off for a right handed shooter,
    I like 1/2"inch cast-off. I could not believe my luck on my recent Caesar Guerini purchase that it had enough cast off for me, I have the comb as far right as it will go and the sights line up.

You can bend the stock yourself, send me your e-mail address and I will send you pictures of my stock bending apparatus, it is simple to do.

A heat lamp, damp cloth, adjustable clamp and some blocks of wood, try to do too much at one time can crack or break the stock.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

8. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Ok, what do we not know?

1 We don't know if Butch is looking straight down the gun.

2. We don't know how he has determined that the gun is shooting left.

Why are we giving advice? We've no idea what's going on, after all.

Let's do that first.

1. Butch, now you've moved the comb, what do you see when you put the gun up? Critically, that is. Exactly what do you see? If it has two beads, are they lined up. If not,which bead is where?

2. Why do you think it is shooting to the left? Again,exactly how did you discover this?

Neil

9. gordy h

gordy h Member

OK I'll try to explain more. The comb is to the right all the way. my beads make a stacked figure eight. my broken target are chiping small pc. to the left and large to the right. I shot 20 rounds on the pattern board moving a small amount to the right every 3 shots. this was at 13 yards off hand.The
    hole is always to the left about 3 " average. I'm not new to shooting, I am a 96% shooter with my TM1, so I'm not new. Just got this MX3 and am haveing this problem. I am going to Tuson and am trying to get back on target. Thanks to all for your input,I'll keep trying, Smokem all Butch H

10. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

OK, so you are looking straight down the gun. But there's still something I don't understand. You kept moving the comb and now you are looking straight down the gun. It seems like that has to mean that you started shooting looking crooked down the gun. Did you ? Can I ask why?

I wouldn't pay any attention to your breaks.

I'd get a rest so you don't have to do it freehand.

If it continues to shoot that crooked off a rest, you are going to face the fact that you are going to have to fix it, bend it, or sell it. You can't shoot it as it is.

Neil

11. Mo Bill

Mo Bill Member

TO move the comb further to the right I have done two things..and
    ,in combination,got me set up the way I needed to be.

1..I used a Dremel tool and took out metal from the right end of the
    slot in the base of the adj comb hardware..maybe a tiny bit of wood
    as well.
    2..I ground off the corners of the nuts used to tighten the posts( the
    ones beneath the base plate of the comb hardware...between the two
    I got the comb over where I wanted it.

MO BILL

12. gordy h

gordy h Member

Not being a wize guy,but never NUFF said, at 69 years old, it's never to old to learn. and TC is been more helpful than I can ever say. The guys on here, No
    all the shooters on here are the greatest, I am glad to be among them. again Thanks to ALL of you. Butch H

13. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

To accurately get the POI you have to use a rest otherwise it could be you and not the gun ... If the point of impact (POI) is right on off of a rest then you have to adjust for you pulling or pushing the gun or as Neil says fix it or get rid of it ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

comb adjustment for right handed shooter