1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustment of comb right & left?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Pull-it!, Apr 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Is there any reason to change the adjustment on a comb left or right?

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Moving the comb left or right moves your point of impact. If your point of impact is too far to the right, move the comb to the left. Raising the comb will lower your impact point.

Robert

3. Pull-it!

Pull-it! Member

Are you sure about moving the opposite way of where you want it to shoot?

4. V10

V10 Well-Known Member

Move the comb in the direction you want the POI to move. Move the front of the rib in the opposite direction you want the POI to move. Just like the sights on a pistol.

Raising the comb raises the POI. Lowering the comb lowers the POI.

The reason you might want to move the comb left or right is if you have lost or gained weight. Sometimes significant weight loss affects your face. In order to then get the beads to align (left/right) you need to move the comb left or right.

5. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You move the comb right or left so the beads line up. Before you do that, be sure you're not canting the gun because that will keep the beads from lining up properly.

Then, with the beads lined up, if the gun is shooting right or left of your intended point of aim, you have to find out if the barrel isn't shooting straight or if it's the fit of the gun or your shooting technique that's throwing the shot offline.

You don't just move the comb because the gun is shooting right or left. It's not that simple.

6. RAScott

RAScott Member

I went to the club and pattened my o/u barrels and the top single from 27yards. Shot 3 shots from a rest at 7 different papers folded in quarters. To my surprise all of the pattens were to the left o/u top and bottom top single. I took the sheets home to study them and that is what I found mostly with a light full choke a 22" circle and was off from center 3" at 27yard i believe that will be about 5" at 39 yards, so I moved my comb to the right about 1/16 to 1/8". that sould move POI aprox 3". according to my book the stock fitters bible. I am hoping to go to the club tomorrow and repatten it (snow today). With all of my guns, you move the comb in the direction you want the POI to move.
    It kind of explains a mystery miss then bare down and totaly crush the next target, at least thats what im hoping.
    Bob S

7. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Help me with this. I shoot one eye, gun set up by Country Gent. I break targets well, my face bleeds and is bruised. It doesn't hurt, looks bad.
    Went back to Aaron last year. He thinks the gun fits fine. I shoot a K32 with an an anj. butt and comb. Any idea why this gun does this or what I need to do differently?
    Thanks
    Grif

8. RAScott

RAScott Member

Thats Gotta hurt, wrong pitch? not keeping your head down? pull the stock in tight. Wood on WOOD.I had a stock made and can shoot 300-400 per day and nothing on my face.

9. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

RA
    I do to much wood on wood, hold the gun tight. Perhaps too tight, I don't know,
    looking for suggestions. Thanks for your help.
    Grif

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Loosen the top screw that holds the butt plate to the stock. Put a washer between the wood and the butt plate on the top screw and tighten. Keep adding washers until the problem goes away. HMB

11. high 2

high 2 Member

Grif, if your face is bleeding, there has to be a problem. Is it a factory K32 stock? Most are very thin and almost knife like on the comb. If this is the case you could have a thicker comb built, or go to a soft comb. Also maybe go to a better designed K 80 stock. I`ve worked with a couple of people that had very tender skin that would chafe and bleed easily. Took some work, but got the problem fixed. You also might try shooters rouge. It should help keep the face from bleeding so easy. Larry

12. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Move the comb in the direction you want to move your point of impact ... If you raise the comb the gun will shoot higher, I had to raise mine 9/16 of an inch to get the gun to shoot 100% high ... When the comb was down all the way I was shooting way under the targets (3 foot or better), kept putting spacers in until I started hitting targets and then added one more 1/16 at a time until I was centering the targets and started taking the tops off of the birds, took one spacer out and locked it down ... Instead of having 9 - 1/16 spacers under the comb I got two thick and one thin spacers to make up the space I need and have them in there ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

13. puablo

puablo Well-Known Member

I would do a check on my form...are you a face creeper on the stock? Also pay special attention to the pitch. I have to change the pitch on all my trap guns...the toe sticks out way too far and throws some extra recoil up in my face. One of the cheapest fixes for the comb would be to get a cheekeez pad and add that to the top of the wood comb. I personally find that the soft comb added by gunsmiths don't help me enough, so I add the cheekeez adhesive pad to the top of the comb, seems to work better for me...just check out your sight picture if you put a thick one on. If you do, you will have to move the comb over to the right to allow more cast off(if right handed). Also try vasoline on your face, this will allow the comb to slide and not grip your face. good luck, Jeff/puablo

14. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Grif,

As you are gathering, "cheek slap" has numerous causes. The most common one is the wrong pitch. It is correct if, when you slowly mount your gun in the posture used when you shoot, the whole pad makes simultaneous contact with your shoulder.

Changing the pitch in the way most likely to improve things if pitch is indeed the cause your your face slap, hmb's suggestions is sound. More than one washer and a longer pad-attachment screw may be needed.

Even if the comb on your gun is narrow/sharp/pointed, pitch, head-raising or too much cheek pressure on the comb can still be a part of bloody cheeks.

So can an unfortunate angle of your face making contact with the comb. This can be caused by other stock dimensions that fail to fit your shooting form, specifically, your gun mount.

Rollin

15. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Pitch, the key to less face slap.

16. deereRalph

deereRalph Member

Than
    What do you mean by pitch? How do I change it?
    Thanks Guys, Sorry to sound so stupid.
    Grif

17. tomlieb

tomlieb Member

Years ago I experienced what Grif is experiencing. I couldn't make it through one round before the blood would run right through the skin about where the cheekbone is. It was unbelievable and just kept getting worse. Like you say, not painful but a real mess. The fix was to have the stock properly fitted by someone who knows what he is doing. This was a long time ago and I had a stock made by Ed Sower who made me a hydrocoil stock, similar to the JS aircushon stock made today. The pfs stock wasn't available then, but it would work also. The good news is that you can fix it, but it will not go away by itself.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

comb adjustment for right handed shooter

how much weight is added to a shotgun when a comb is added

moving the comb to adjust poi

what to do when shotgun comb is moved as far as it will go

which way do i need to move the comb to shoot right

which way do you move a shotgun comb to adjust poi
which way do you move the comb for a right handed clay target shooter hitting the back of a right handed target
why would i need a raise comb on my 970