1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adjusting point of impact

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Matthew Moser, Aug 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matthew Moser

Matthew Moser TS Member

how much difference does it make if you raise your adjustable comb to make your gun shoot higher? can you do anything to the adjustable butt plate to help???

2. bcnu

bcnu Active Member

1/8 inch washer= about two inches higher poi.

3. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Matt..... Adjusting the adjustable butt plate does nothing to raise, or lower, your POI. All the plate does is adjust where, and how, your recoil pad sits in your shoulder pocket. It may raise the stock higher to your cheek, but it will not raise the POI.....Dan Thome (Trap2)

4. buchholz

buchholz TS Member

Make a "Point of Impact Stick". Use some 2 x 1 runners 7 or 8 feet long and at the top put a 1 1/4" finishing nail. Measure down from it 18" and put another nail, do this for at least 4 or 5 times and then nail a couple legs on the critter. Set it about 45 yards away from you. Get some clay birds and slowly peck/drill/work a hole big enough in the bird that you can set it on the finishing nail and let it come through the hole. You don't want to just set the bird dangling on the nail as remember there is shot that is going to hit the board and wiggle it and it might knock off one and that won't help you. Set a bird on each nail and back up about 45 yards and pick one of the birds in the middle of the group and line up on it to look like the bird/bead/barrel relationship you want when shooting and touch it off.

This is an old thing past on to me on this site and it helped me discover where I was shooting and how it reacted. By the way use a full choke or better. Only bird that is suppose to break is the one you are lined up on.

If you break two of them you have to make adjustments as necessary (that is washers added or subtracted from your comb. If you break 3 of them, you are not tight enough..... or you are using juck shells. I was doing this with Rio's and got just one bird to break at 45 yards and then I wanted to see something that I suspected was a problem and put a Remington Gun Club shell in and see how it would do. Well three of the birds broke. That just says don't use them past the 16 yard line if you want to break a good score.

I don't know how many washers you'll have to use but remember you only want the bird you are lined up on to break.

Don Buchholz
    Chesapeake, VA

Keep on Keepin on

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<center>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    [​IMG]<br><br>
    </center> Bottom picture is my XT with beads in the fig8 relationship, top photo is after adjusting comb up to get a 1 1/8 drop at comb. This is working quite well for me.

6. Jim101

Jim101 Active Member

Mac you might want to check the chokes. Those patterns look way to open for a full choke at that range. They look more like a mod or IC.

Jim

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Just a change in POI after adjusting comb exsample. I do agree, I tossed that choke into the bottom of my safe. To use as a early rust detector. That is a IVP flush choke.

8. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Jack believe me I have heard more than I care to about that ^&*($% choke. LOL
    These pics just give a idication of how raising my comb affected POI. I will be revisitting The whole process after I get a bumpbuster from speedbumpstockworks this fall/winter. I also Am getting some choke tubes for a birthday gift. Right now I shoot a briley spectrum IM and love it. To balance of the exstended briley choke Ive installed my Xfull turkey choke. I like playing around with the dig camera and computer, got the two about the same time i started shooting ATA. Yes I did all neil W perscribed. I now have a Class champ win 3 other class wins and 2 HOA handicap victory. My scores made huge gains after all the pattern work.

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Kool, gonna go shoot now, Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.