1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjusting POI W/Adjustable Butt Plate Exclusively

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by gdbabin, Sep 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Is it viable to move POI up/down using an adjustable butt plate alone; i.e. on a stock with a non-adjustable comb and rib? If not, I'd be interested in learning why.

It seems to me that moving a butt plate up/down would have the same affect as moving an adj. comb along the vertical plain.

I realize maximum adjustability would be realized with both a movable butt and comb, but what if one didn't want to cut their stock? Could the butt plate get you there alone?

Guy Babin

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

No. Your cheek is still mounted on the comb in the same place, so your bead/eye relationship is still about the same. Actually, the maximum adjustability is with an adjustable comb AND adjustable rib. The adjustable butt plate helps with comfort and allowing you to have proper stance more easily.

Why wouldn't you want to cut your stock? It's a tool, make it fit.

Joe

3. gdbabin

gdbabin TS Member

Is it viable to move POI up/down using an adjustable butt plate alone; i.e. on a stock with a non-adjustable comb and rib? If not, I'd be interested in learning why.

It seems to me that moving a butt plate up/down would have the same affect as moving an adj. comb along the vertical plain.

I realize maximum adjustability would be realized with both a movable butt and comb, but what if one didn't want to cut their stock? Could the butt plate get you there alone?

Guy Babin

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

No. Your cheek is still mounted on the comb in the same place, so your bead/eye relationship is still about the same. Actually, the maximum adjustability is with an adjustable comb AND adjustable rib. The adjustable butt plate helps with comfort and allowing you to have proper stance more easily.

Why wouldn't you want to cut your stock? It's a tool, make it fit.

Joe

5. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Guy,

An adjustable butt is used primarily to allow the shooter's head to be upright, e.g. to compensate for gun mount height and/or neck length. The only way it could change the POI would be due to a slight change in the way the cheek is placed on the comb.

An adjustable comb can change the height of the eye, relative to the height of the rib and is raised or lowered to change POI by changing the height of the eye. The POI will move in the same direction that the comb is moved.

Rollin

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Any change you make will have an effect on POI. Changing the height of the butt plate will result in a small change vertically in the POI. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjustable butt plate change the poi utube
adjustable butt plate poi
adjusting an adjustable butt plate
adjusting butt plate
ajustable butt plate is moving
butt plate mounted cheek

how to adjust an adjustable butt plate