1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjusting POI on a Browning XT Trap O/U

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Anthony.L, Aug 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

I have a brand new Browning XT Trap 32" O/U. The factory rib is not adjustable, and it came with the standard white middle bead and HIVIZ front sight.

Today I shot the pattern board for the first time. When I mount the gun I stack the fiber optic sight directly on top of the white middle bead (figure eight). With this mount, the pattern board showed 50/50 result (shot pattern dead center of sight aim).

So, my question is how can I adjust this so the pattern is more 70/30. I would prefer it to be a little higher. I know I can change my mount and space the front sight and middle bead apart but that's not consistent. Is there a way to raise the middle bead, or some add-on that accomplishes the same thing?

Thanks in advance!

2. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

I have an adjustable comb on mine and have raised it up quite a bit. Not sure on the split but I'd guess it is 70/30; more above than below.

The beads stack but, as you say, there is space between them. The only solution I can think of would be to get an add on rib. The space does not bother me or at least I don't think it does.

3. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Well maybe that is the solution. I'm considering sending out the stock for an adjustable comb and recoil reducer/pad. Just need to find a local fitter first that can help me determine my length of pull.

Anyone know of a good fitter in WA state please let me know.

4. Captain Bud

Captain Bud TS Member

What you need is an adjustable comb or some padding on the top of the stock, to raise your eye up.

By raising the comb you raise the pattern. Try tapping some newspaper to the top of the comb area. About an eighth to a quarter of an inch in thickness. Do this starting at 1/8 and then add a few sheets at a time until you find the thickness that works for you.

Then you have to make the decision whether to put the adjustable comb on the gun or find a more permanent way of creating the thickness equal to the paper build up, that you found works best for you.

IMHO, find a very good gunsmith and have him first fit the gun to you, ( in case the stock needs to be shortened) and then have him do an adjustable comb job to your stock. You will be very happy once it is finished. (If it is done correctly). This would be the time to put on a recoil reducer if you choose to do so.

Good luck.. And you bought a very good shotgun. Take care of it and it will probably become a hand me down to your children (if you have any).

And enjoy the shooting sports.............

phil

5. E. Beaver

E. Beaver Member

When you get the comb where you want it just install a taller mid bead so that they stack to your liking.

Charlie

6. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I used to use Moleskin, Dr Scholls I think it was. Comes in a roll with sticky back.

Cut it to fit and the sticky wont hurt the finish, or it didn't back then.

I never liked space in between beads. Ended up with an adjustable comb.

A slight add on rib such as suggested above may be the answer.

A great gun choice for the money I think but fairly flat shooters.

Regards.....Gerald

7. warpspeed

warpspeed Member

Well as far as the hardware installation, I like the work Joe @ Tronspace Gunworks has done for me. Do a search here and you will find a long line of satisfied customers.

Then find a coach or stockfitter loacal to get the adjustments correct. Or do like I did. Buy the Stockfitters Bible and do it yourself.

8. tarheel

tarheel Member

Warpspeed is Right Anthony,Tron can't be beat,and get a jump on things,he's not @ the Grand,call him now,you might be able to speed things up by several days,I feel sure he will get lots of work from shooters returning home From the Grand!

You will be glad to talked to him,he will not give you the Bums Rush!

Regards to all,

Tarheel aka Don Sutton

9. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I have about 130,000 rounds through my XT over the past ten years. NEVER a problem. Your gun WILL SHOOT FLAT (I like mine like that)if you stack the beads, and there is not a thing you can do other than have some space between the sights. (I'm like you, I don't like that either) UNLESS you go to someone like KEEN SIGHT RIBS and tell them what you have a what you want it to do. They can cut you a sight and are not too expensive. They also do very good work.

Good shooting and enjoy your XT!!!

10. dougp

dougp TS Member

Adjustable comb is the proper way to go ,however I recommend using the Moleskin from Dr, Scholl,s , inexpensive. If it does not work for you then you have not invested a lot of money on an adjustable come. I hunt ducks and geese with an old model 37 Ithaca , with a low flat stock , having shot so much trap couldn,t hit any game birds . Installed Dr. Scholl,s moleskin and was very successful . Just another thought to help you out.

11. Robster7

Robster7 Member

While raising the comb is one option, you may wish to try a Briley custom eccentric choke tube.
    For about $125.00, the custom tube can raise a POI ~6" at 40 yards.....
    It's a option some prefer.

12. Caribou woodland

Caribou woodland Member

Just to try: 2 pices of double face-tape and wrap it whit a pice of ShamWow on the stock.
    It works for me. And I will get a adjustable comb I know why.
    Salutations

Pierre

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Shoot the bottom Bbl

GB
    DLS

14. philk

philk Member

Take the middle bead of if you don`t like seeing space between them .

15. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Jim Porter is correct...if you want to raise the POI, AND see the existing beads stacked in the normal fashion, you will have to change/modify the rib. That is not easy on a fixed rib gun.

I shot an XT for years, and I just compensated for the lower POI...there was a learning curve, but I had some success.

Many others have done well with fixed ribs...look at all the champs of old who shot M12's and 1100's...just to name a few. Adjustable ribs are a relatively recent phenomenon.

bluedsteel

16. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Remember, your eye is the rear sight. The height of your cheekbone largely determines where the eye is.

My XT shoots over 90% high, but since I am an Amerind, I have very high cheekbones.

My Sporter shoots about 70% high. My Bunker gun shoots about the same.

If you have low cheekbones, you will need an adjustable comb. Tron can indeed do a great job.

I feel fortunate that my 3 Brownings fit me as well as they do. Since I shoot right handed, both eyes open, while being left handed with a left master eye, high shooting guns have been a great solution for me. Floating the target helps me prevent crossfiring.

However, this is another story for another time.

17. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

I have an XT and a BPS and the bottom barrel of my XT and the BPS both pattern 90/10. (Patterned by the book,over rest,counted pellets etc.) Mine has 30 inch barrels and the standard Monte Carlo stock. Jack

18. Anthony.L

Anthony.L Member

Thanks for the all the advice guys! I do currently shoot with both eyes open and shoot the bottom barrel exclusively so far. Next time I will pattern the top barrel, curious now where it will shoot.

Sounds like an adjustable comb is in my future, but I will first try the moleskin to make sure the height will help. I would love an adjustable rib but not interested in cutting up the gun to much...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjusting a browning xt trap stock

browning poi

browning shotgun stock adjustmen for poi

browning ultra xt stock adjustment

browning xt adjusting

browning xt raised rib

browning xt trap poi

ithaca 37 poi low