1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjusting my new PFS stock ....need help please

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by tractorboy, Jun 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Am trying to set my PFS up for 1oz 1150fps 12ga loads.

Started out with the 10 turns out on the factory PFS recoil setting and had trouble with too much movement causing the gun to come loose from my shoulder. Went to 6 turns out on the recoil setting and still had trouble with the gun coming loose from the shoulder. While this is not bad for singles, it is very bad when your shooting doubles and the gun comes away from the shoulder after the first shot.

Should I set the recoil adjustment tighter...say 4 turns out? Another thought that I had was maybe I could increase the LOP some and maybe the gun would stay in place on the shoulder better.

I think the PFS will be a wonderful device, and I think that I will eventually love it, if I can just get it adjusted properly.

How did you folks go about getting it adjusted so that it doesn't come loose from the shoulder after the first shot?

2. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Make it hard to press at first. The loosen as you go along. Shoot 500 rounds between settings. It takes time to fine tune a PFS, and everyone is different in finding their comfort zone. You might also read the instructions.....

3. W.P.T.

W.P.T. TS Member

Do not forget to put the lock nut in behind the adjustment for tension or it will not stay put ... WPT ... (YAC) ...

4. mollyone

mollyone TS Member

Tractorboy- I used the bathroom scale, Set mine to brake or move at

40lb. This gave me a reference to start,at 35lb now

Shoot all events at this setting. Hope this helps

jpark

5. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

I set my stock up now one turn out from full lock. It still soft and don't hurt my wrist from the movement..
    Make sure you have the metal ball in and the lock nut.

6. hunter44

hunter44 Well-Known Member

Kraiza, does the metal ball go between the tension set for the recoil reducer & the lock nut? I don't think my manual said anything about that?

7. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Yes. The tension screw, ball, lock nut in that order.

8. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I set my PFS up with the same comb height and LOP as my wood stock. What I am wondering is did any of you find that you had to increase the LOP on the PFS, from what you had used on your wood stock, to keep the PFS stock from coming loose from the shoulder when the shot is fired?

9. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

I've never seen or heard of a metal ball, this must be something fairly recent.

10. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

tractorboy, I have a PFS on a 682 Beretta & shoot loads similar to yours. I have it set at 9 turns out & it works fine. If the gun jumps off your shoulder when the unit rebounds, you may have to grab the pistol grip a little firmer & pull a little harder toward your shoulder since the PFS allows more gun movement than a solid stock. I set mine up with the same LOP as the original stock. Mine is 3 yrs. old & did come with a metal ball. John

11. waverider

waverider Well-Known Member

Skeetman,

The first used one I got only had the tension screw. Vern put an extra screw when he checked it out at the Grand at Vandalia, OH couple of years before the end.

Jason

12. skeet_man

I have the tension screw and the lock screw, but have never seen or heard of a metal ball that went b/w the 2...

13. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's a "new" thing because, sometimes, the lock nut catches the adjustment nut and turns it to the right as you seat it (tightening the adjustment more that you wanted it). The ball, a 7/16" ball bearing fits between the two nut and keeps one from turning the other.

Simple fix for a minor, sometimes occurring, problem.

Bob

14. straightshooter1

straightshooter1 Well-Known Member TS Supporters

It's a "new" thing because, sometimes, the lock nut catches the adjustment nut and turns it to the right as you seat it (tightening the adjustment more that you wanted it). The ball, a 7/16" ball bearing fits between the two nut and keeps one from turning the other.

Simple fix for a minor, sometimes occurring, problem.

Bob

15. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

With mine set at 4 turns out it breaks on the bathroom scale at about 40 lbs and has 5/16" of travel if you fully compress it. I increased the LOP by 1/8" and it helped the coming loose from the shoulder problem that I was having. The gun still fits fine with the slight increase in LOP. I may go an additional 1/8" on the LOP and try to stop the problem entirely.

Mine came with the ball and also came with a bracket that ties the top rod and bottom rod together. I had to call Vern to find out what the figure 8 tie bracket was for because it wasn't shown in my manual or in the website drawing. Vern indicated that the new bracket was designed to provide additional stability and prevent flexing.

16. skeet_man

Tractorboy- Can you post a pic of the figure 8 bracket? I also haven't seen one of those yet either.

17. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

18. skeet_man

Super, thanks for the pic. Did you have to buy that aftermarket (and if so, whats the cost) or is that std equipment on new shipments?

19. tractorboy

tractorboy Member

Ian, the figure 8 bracket came with my stock which I purchased new directly from Vern about 6 weeks ago.

I checked the reviews on this website and I remember that some shooters reported that they had flexing and twist in their PFS stocks. I would like to report that mine is "solid as a rock". However, it is still new with only 1700 shots fired so far. Are you coming back to Dallas this year (Craig was here in early June and did quite well)?

20. skeet_man

Unfortunately I won't be @ Dallas this year. Last years pan am was a very last minute thing, and I doubt its going to be the sort of thing I'm able to do very often (that was about a $1k trip for me by the time everything was said and done).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.