1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjusting height of comb...

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by jlesley, Jan 21, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Just trying to understand some more things about comb adjustment. If I raise my comb I have more space between beads, is this correct? If so, why does one want more space betweens beads vs. less space? Thanks.... Jill

2. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Yes, there will be more space...but forget about that and don't let it get in your head. If you raise the comb, you raise your POI. In short, set the comb hight and windage (left or right) to where you see the target and smoke it and then forget all about the beads and that space.

You may want to spend a bit of time at the patterning board...this could give you a better understanding of to where your gun is shooting.

3. washandwear

washandwear Member

Hi

Raising the comb raises the point of impact.

Amount of bead separation is changed.

Some like the beads to stack and they often buy a gun with a high or adjustable rib or squeeze their cheek down which overrides the change in comb height.

Some observe the change in bead distance and decide to ignore it and move on.

Set the point of impact for smoke.

Ignore the bead change or add rib - two schools of thought somewhat equally divided on which is best.

Regards

W&W

4. the old guy

the old guy TS Member

Your eye is the rear sight on your shotgun. Moving the comb up - down - left - right is the same as moving the rear sight on a rifle. Want to impact higher? move the comb up, etc. Pattern at 25 yds instead of 40 to get point of impact. Adjust comb to adjust POI. Then keep your cheek locked to the stock the same way every time.
    Paul Bobby

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

Its simple. Raise the comb and the gun will shoot higher. Just raise/lower the comb until the gun fits you and shoots where you are looking. I have been working on this simple thing for 30 years. Some days it is just right, other days my gun fits me poorly.

Pat Ireland

6. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

O.K., that makes sense - but then if I can adjust the POI with comb height, then what exactly is an adjustable rib for? Jill

7. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

So you get the bead sight picture you want.

If the adjustable rib physically moves the front bead up or down when you adjust it, you'll this will also change your POI.

Most guns don't have adjustable ribs.

If you have both an adjustable comb and an adjustable rib, its kind of a trial and error thing.

Adjust the comb, then adjust the rib to get your "preferred" sight picture, then see where it shoots.

If it doesn't shoot where you want, repeat until it does.

8. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Banned User Banned TS Supporters

You've adjusted the rib to shoot lower as per Phil's instructions. If you want a similat sight picture you'll have to lower the comb. Simple!!

9. jlesley

jlesley TS Member

Simple for people who have been doing this for years, but not necessarily simple for us new shooters!!

10. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

The object of this game is to adjust your comb so when you pull the trigger the clay target breaks. The best way to do this is to set the trap machine on straight aways and shoot them from station #3. Use a tight choke and make adjustments to the comb until your hits are centered.

Remember this is a game of shooting moving targets. So when you fine tune your gun it should be done on a moving target. HMB

11. oleolliedawg

Look it this way Jill! When you raised the rib in front to lower the impact the sight picture got higher. So in essence, you changed nothing yet as your impact remained the same. Now you must correspondingly lower the comb to actually lower the impact. This game teaches you to act in opposites!!

12. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You better think that one over again. You raise the front sight, you will lower the POI. HMB

13. oleolliedawg

Each line on the KX-5 represents around 1" to 1 1/2" of impact adjustment-not alot. I believe yours was set as low as possible giving the highest impact allowable. Use that as a reference!!

14. oleolliedawg

HMB is correct. I always have difficulty thinking is adjustable rib theory. K-80's are much easier for my brain!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
adjusting shotgun comb right or left
best way to adjust stock comb

comb height adjustment

comb height impact

lower point of impact shotgun with adjustable comb

proper comb height shotgun

shotgun comb adjustments
will raising my comb raised my point of impact