Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adjusting comb level

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  Stl Flyn 
#1 ·
In a website I saw a shotgun mounted in an aluminum jig that appeared to be intended to allow the gun and its stock to be measured and adjusted to fit the shooter.

I noticed that there was a long straight edge sitting on the rib and extending back over the stock. I appears that the height of the comb was being measured in relation to the rib so that the two could be made parallel. I can only figure that this was done to minimize the effect of recoil to the shooter's cheek.

If that's why it was being done, wouldn't it make more sense to make the top of the comb parallel with the center of the bore so the top of the comb would be parallel to the recoil force?

Mike

#2 ·
The comb is made parallel to the rib so that your eye is in the same relationship to the rib regardless of how far forward or back your cheek happens to contact the comb.

I believe possible reduction in cheek slap is a secondary benefit of a parallel comb. Some combs are even higher at the rear than the front to enhance this effect.

#3 ·
Mike,

Most trap guns have Monte Carlo style stocks where the top of the comb is indeed parallel with the centerline of the barrel.

Like Tom said though, its not primarily for recoil, but that is a secondary benefit.

#4 ·
"<I>The comb is made parallel to the rib so that your eye is in the same relationship to the rib regardless of how far forward or back your cheek happens to contact the comb.</I>"

I've read this explanation before and this is something that confuses me. Even though it makes sense, why would the shooter's cheek contact the comb in more than 1 place if the gun fits properly?

"<I>Some combs are even higher at the rear than the front to enhance this effect.</I>"

This contradicts the first statement. If the rear of the comb is made higher than the front on a trap gun, doesn't the comb then become more parallel to the bore than to the rib.

Mike

#6 ·
"The comb is made parallel to the rib so that your eye is in the same relationship to the rib regardless of how far forward or back your cheek happens to contact the comb."

I've read this explanation before and this is something that confuses me. Even though it makes sense, why would the shooter's cheek contact the comb in more than 1 place if the gun fits properly?

Here in Beautiful Nebraska the shooting starts in January and ends in December, with a temp. spread of about 120 degrees F. One day just the vest is too much clothing to wear, while on another there simply aren't enopugh jackets ever made to keep you warm. Consequently, the location of your head on the stock may change due to the thickness of clothing on your shoulder. If the stock was tapered, the POI would change as well.
dju

#7 ·
Listen to hmb.

You want a slight slope to the comb in two planes. Higher in the back and lower in the front. Closer to your face in the back and a tad further away in the front.

Set up this way, the comb will not move into your check bone during recoil.

I use about a 1/8" "slope" - or difference for both settings over the length of the comb. Even with a lot of variation in check position (+/- 1"), the effect on POI will be less than +/- 1" at 30 yards.

Don Verna

#8 ·
Thanks for the link. I found the article confusing. While trap shooting is mentioned, the article seems to focus on sporting shooters who shoot from a gun down stance, and I couldn't tell whether the writer was in favor of or against parallel combs. I read the article carefully enough that I noted that he never specifically stated what parallel combs were parallel with!

A Devault newsletter sent to me by a friend quotes Dennis Devault as stating that the top of the comb of a trap gun should be parallel with the centerline of the bore of the barrel. I need to figure a simple way to measure the drop of my rib relative to the bore centerline of my under barrel so I have a reference from which to measure the comb.

Mike

#9 ·
I devised a way to determine the slope of my Browning's rib in relation to the center line of the bore of the under barrel and have adjusted the slope of the comb.

When the top of the comb is parallel to the center line of the bore it is also 3/64" lower at the front than at the back in relation to the top of the rib. I'm going to try it there this evening. Adding/moving 1/64" AN washers will let me adjust the slope without raising or lowering the area of the comb my cheek rests on.

Mike

#10 ·
Mike, just suppose the shotguns rib was extremely high at the rear down to nothing at the front? The guns bore is true and straight. Which way will you set the comb to have the POI remain the same with any cheek position along the comb? Bore or rib? Remember, the eye is the rear sight and the front bead is the front sight for POI purposes regardless of the straight bore line!

Hap

#11 ·
Mike,
The is article you are speaking about the one written by Dave holmes in Clay Shooting USA? If not, I would suggest you go online to ClayShootingusa.com and see if you can pull it up from their archives. Although Dave is talking about sporting clays stocks and how he feels parallel combs may not be for the clays shooters, he gives a good explanation talking about the zygomatic arch (cheek bone and how it play into comb fit.

Surfer

#12 ·
If you go to Dennis DeVault's site and click on "What is an engineered stock", it shows you that positioning of the comb, or click on link above. If it is set parallel to the barrel it will be higher in the front of the comb, and lower in the back, compared to the rib, as it states. The finger grip K-80 stock on his custom stocks page in my mind, is the absolute best looking and I would think comfortable stock, I have ever seen. Jon

#13 ·
Heck, down here in Alabama we don't even wear shirts when we shoot in the summer. Then, in winter, we think we're going to die if it is 49 degrees. So, a parallel comb is a great thing. I am in the midst of making the change now. (I'm a skeet guy.)

Mike Durhan

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.