Trapshooters Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Adjusting an adjustable rib and adjustable comb

8K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  BigM-Perazzi 
#1 ·
Here's my take on how to adjust the rib and comb on a gun that allows both to be moved. (I posted this earlier at the end of a long thread that I suspect no one ever read.)

First, I have noticed that I can get the sight picture I want (for me, a figure 8) just by changing how hard I push my cheek against the stock. So initially, I'll put the comb somewhere that seems comfortable and that gives me my figure 8.

Then I will shoot the gun (usually at no. 3 position, with the thrower set to throw straight-aways). I'll put the target just on top of the bead and see what happens. Let's say I get a clean miss. Next bird, I point the gun about 6 inches below the bird. Maybe I get a break that indicates that I'm hitting the top of the target. That suggests that the gun is shooting high. I'll try a few more shots with space between the front bead and the target to be sure. If I am convinced that the gun is shooting too high, I'll raise the muzzle end of the rib (which actually moves the barrel down).

Now I'll try a few more shots, with the target positioned just above the bead. Maybe I'll make some more (hopefully smaller) adjustments. When I get to the point that I'm smoking the birds (or at least getting very solid center hits) with the target sitting just above the bead, I stop adjusting the rib.

Now I'll turn to the comb, and adjust it so that I don't have to force my face anywhere. What I'm looking for is that when I mount the gun, I immediately see a perfect figure 8, without any need to "push" my face anywhere. What I want is to have the comb set up so that I automatically see the correct bead picture when I mount the gun. Every time.

Now back to the range and shoot the gun (again just throwing straights from position 3). Maybe (but probably not) I'll make minor adjustments in rib height if I'm not getting very centered breaks. And I'll adjust the comb slightly so that the figure 8 is still there without pushing (usually not necessary).

At this point, the gun points where I expect it to, and I see the desired bead alignment when I mount the gun.

This system will work for any sight picture you like and any alignment with the target you prefer, i.e., you can adjust the comb so that the rear bead covers the front bead and/or adjust the rib so that the target "floats" a certain distance above the front bead when hit in the center.

Note that this system doesn't rely on comb adjustments to change the POI - that's done by adjusting the rib. If you use the comb to adjust the POI, and then adjust the rib to get the desired sight picture, you will find that the rib adjustment has changed the POI.

Try it - you'll like it.

Ted K.

See less See more
#2 ·
I can't see how that works, Ted. I mean getting POI right with the rib and then adjusting the comb. Once you move the comb, the POI isn't right anymore, is it?

I can hardly hold myself out as an expert, since I recently finally threw in the towel at working with both the rib and comb.

My plan is this:

Put the rib somewhere and lose the tool.

Adjust the comb to get the hits you like.

If you run out of comb up, find the tool temporarily, lower the front of the rib but otherwise don't screw with it and go back to jacking around with the comb.

Same for other way.

Don't worry about what you see, beadwise, as long as you can see the front one.

Neil

#3 ·
1: Adjust the comb until the gun is shooting the way you want it to. 2: Adjust the rib until you are looking down it in a way that works for what you like to see. 3: The first time you aren't shooting well re-adjust both until you have completely lost both adjustments and have no idea where the gun is shooting. There, wasn't that easy?

#6 ·
No HMB, you missed the point. This is a system for setting up the comb so that the beads are correctly aligned when you mount the gun. I set up the rib so that I get a good hit when the target is positioned in the right place over the front bead. To do that, I have to look at the target, not the beads. The beads have already been set up (by mounting the gun) when I pull the trigger. Although I can see the front bead, it is barely visible in the periphery.

The proof of this pudding is where I look when I call for the bird: a position about a foot above the house and ten yards beyond it. I have already aligned the gun so that the "sights" (as you call them) align with a position about 4 inches below the top of the house, so that I have a clear view of the target as it emerges from the house. Thus, at the time I call for the bird, I can barely see the front bead. When I move the gun to shoot, I continue to look at the target. I certainly don't shift my view and focus on the front (or any other part) of the gun.

Ted K.

#7 ·
Here we go again...

The saga of the ADJUST-O-MATIC returns! I hope AveragEddie will be around soon to conribute, but we've been through this one before!!!

If you want to drive yourself up a wall, be my guest...purchase one of these ADJUST-O MATIC trap guns and have at it! After you have replace the set screws because they're worn out...sell it and get back to a conventional set up that FITS YOU and you can learn to shoot.

Neil is right on...if you happen to be "blessed" with one of these things, set it up so it's comfortable and lock away your tools and wrenches. You CAN-NOT
adjust the rib AND the comb without changing the POI. As far as the set up procedure you suggest, in my experience and according to most of the manuals I've read, you should be doing just the opposite, i.e., set the COMB for POI and then set the RIB for desired site picture, however, when you adjust the rib to get the desired site picture you have changed the POI.

Best bet is to trade it off...pick up a good quality old fashion top single SBT...get the stock FIT and live happily ever after!

Smok'n Joe

#10 ·
C'mon, Avaldes!!! These are trapshooters you're talking about. They do only two things: make simple topics complicated and pray for straightaways. Well, some of them do really nasty things to perfectly good barrels, but thankfully not all.

#13 ·
Well, I thought what I was suggesting is fairly simple.

Set the trap to throw straight-aways, set the rib to hit them, set the comb to be comfortable when the beads are lined up. The whole process takes me about 30 - 45 minutes (including the time to set up the trap machine), and I rarely have to make subsequent adjustments.

What's not to like?

Ted K.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.