1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustiable Combs

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Birch1007, Jan 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Birch1007

Birch1007 Active Member

Newbie here with a dumb question. On a trap gun with a adjustiable comb, how do you get it adjusted to the proper hight. How do you know you have it set to the correct hight?

2. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

What gun are you shooting?

Generally, you set it for the height that makes the beads (front and mid) into a nice figure-8. After that you can adjust to your liking, but that is the base setting. If you have an adj rib, then you set the rib to your POI preference then set the comb to get the figure-8 again.

Left-right, well just set it so that you are looking perfectly down the center of the rib.

3. Barrelbulge(Fl)

Barrelbulge(Fl) TS Supporters TS Supporters

That's the way I do it. Mike.

4. Birch1007

Birch1007 Active Member

I'm shooting a BT-99. It was orginally my dad's, he bought it in the 70's I think and he had the adjustable comb installed on the stock.

5. vpr80

vpr80 Active Member

Set the comb so the beads are a figure-8 and shoot it. Also pattern the gun to know exactly where it is shooting.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Inorder to get the right height you have to shoot the gun. Shoot straight aways from station #3. If that is not available go to the skeet field and shoot low 7s. Adjust the height of the comb so you get center hits on the bird. HMB

7. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I like hmp's remarks. First, I consider the left/right setting to be adjusted to where it squares with the beads on the barrel; adjust left or right till the beads are lined up when comfortably mounting the gun. Then shoot straightaway birds with a buddy confirming whether you are low or high on your hits. Hitting birds at the top or missing above? then lower the comb a bit. Hitting birds low or missing below? then raise the comb a bit. Keep it up until your hits are as centered as possible with your skills. You may make adjustments as your skills improve.......breakemall

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

The last two posts have the best method. The end goal is hitting a moving target so why not sight you gun in on actual moving targets. Sighting the gun like a rifle and shooting at a stationary plate tells you very little about where the shot will go when you shoot at a moving target.

9. late bloomer

late bloomer Member

Use Neil Winston's method and see where your point of impact (POI) is and then make a determination of whether you need to raise or lower your comb when you are shooting at moving targets. This will be different for each individual. Some of the big dogs have a very high POI. This does not mean that you should do the same.

Terry Sandlin

10. bonzai272

bonzai272 Member

I recently put a Jack West stock on my 870 and am thinking my comb is too high. I have a noticable space between my beads. Should I remove some spacers until I get a figure 8, then try it from there and adjust accordingly?

11. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Don't get hung up on seeing a figure 8. Too many people think that is important. If you like a high point of impact (and you have a fixed rib) it is likely you will see a lot of rib between the beads.

Bottom line, move the comb until you shoot the gun straight (left-right) then move the comb up to get a higher point of impact, and lower to get a lower point of impact.

And don't look at the beads.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.