1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

ADJUSTABLE STOCKS, RIBS, TRIGGERS, WHAT ELSE?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by senior smoke, Dec 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    I was shooting a winter event a few weeks back and a guy on my squad had a field grade mossberg with a full choke barrel. he just happened to shoot the high score on that squad. other guns being used were a perazzi, rem 90T, kreigoff, and my browning. on that squad we had, adjustable stocks, screw in chokes, adjustable ribs, adjustable triggers for lop, add on glowing beads, you name it, we had it on that squad. i asked the new shooter if he was going to get a trap gun? he said why? i have shot this gun since i was a kid when my dad gave it to me. i think i brake targets good with it. i said, now that i think of it, your right. how many shooters starting off with field guns, shot pretty well, but due to peer pressure or trying to fit in, buy a trap gun that they could not shoot as well as their field gun. is it better to just find a gun that you can shoot well, without all the fancy add ons. or are we just providing work for the gunsmiths out there? (NOTHING AGAINST GUNSMITHS!) HOW MANY TIMES HAVE YOU SEEN A shooter CHANGING HIS ADJUSTABLE STOCK, CHANGING HIS ADJUSATABLE RIB? would we shoot better just purchasing a gun without allthese adjustments?
    steve balistreri

2. Mr. Marcy

Mr. Marcy TS Member

Sounds Like Lumper is back!

3. james huffington

james huffington TS Member

Just remember, "Its not what you shoot, it's where you shoot"

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

You would save yourself a lot of stress if you would just shoot the gun before you decide to but it. One of the most important parts of a gun is the trigger. Very few high priced guns have a trigger that you can adjust for weight of pull and creep. HMB

5. phirel

phirel TS Member

senior smoke- You don't seem to understand. When I shoot a poor score it is clearly the guns fault and something must be done to the gun. I shoot a K-80 with a PFS so I have many more screws to turn than most. If my gun does not behave, I change it. I also never clean my gun after it shoots poorly. This is all part of the game of trapshooting.

Pat Ireland

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Pat,
    Do you talk to your gun? HMB

7. Dednlost

Dednlost Member

It's not the adjustability of any gun that is the problem, it is the lack of knowledge the adjuster usually has.

8. Pukey Stagg

Pukey Stagg TS Member

SS...I thought you were going to be too busy for TS.com since you got a job.

Pukey

9. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I can take out my 870exspress and shoot very well with it, I mean really up until I got hooked on trap it's the only shotgun I shot. I do now prefer the higher shooting gun I have now. A ultraXT w/adj comb. As far as the sights go. There was never much of a sight on my 870. So the glowing thing at the end is for looks. After getting hooked on trap, patterning my XT(Neil W) getting it where I wanted. I much prefer to shoot TRAP with the XT. The 870 I still use for 5stand and sporting. Is all the extras needed, maybe not. You will want them though if you buy a gun and shoots other than you like.

10. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

Steve, IMHO you guys got beat by a person of unusual talent. In my personal experience, the better gun I bought the better I shot....with the exception of Perazzi's. I've had four and couldn't hit squat with any of them. I still have the fourth one, an MX-15 that is for sale reasonable.

Buz

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

pukey:
    start 1-2-08, bored as heck!
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.