1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable stock or release?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jdhalf, Apr 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jdhalf

jdhalf TS Member

I've been out of shooting for a few years, and now that I've tried to start again, I'm getting kicked a little in the face and have an occasional forehand flinch (really bad when it hits). Anyway, it's now at the point that I have problems hitting the ground, and am looking at making some changes. A new gun is out of the picture for now, so I'm looking at having my stock made adjustable and/or going to a release.
    I want to make 1 change at a time, and would like some opinions on which to do first.

thanks,

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

Do the one you need most first and get the release. As to the face kick, if you are getting it on angle shots, you are losing your alignment on your swing and you need to work on your technique. If you are getting it on every shot and particularly straights from post 3, you can easily and cheaply change your stock's pitch by shimming under your buttplate or getting an adjustable buttplate put on. At this stage of your learning process, a decent stockfitter should be able to eliminate the face slap if you are of fairly average build.

3. alfermann66

alfermann66 Member

A releaase trigger won't stop the forehand flinch...at least it didn't for me, but it did improve the situation somewhat. Get the stock done so the gun fits you and the other problem may go away as well.

Buz

4. Frye

Frye TS Member

I think a little more info might be needed here.
    What are you shooting now? Is it the same gun you shot in the past? Did this gun beat you up before you stopped shooting?

I suspect your gun is getting into your head. You're not fitting into the gun correctly, your expecting it to hurt you when you pull the trigger and your anticipating that before you even see the target. I don't think a release trigger is going to be a wise change for you right now. Adjustable comb, Maybe but it's hard to make that determination without the right information.

Frye

5. Bob Hawkes

Bob Hawkes Well-Known Member

JD, You didn't say what gun you are shooting.Try a Precision fit Stock if you are able. Well worth the money. Good luck, Bob

6. jdhalf

jdhalf TS Member

thanks everyone. The gun i am shooting is an older Browning Citori combo (top single). It's the same gun I shot in the past. I also have tried a Beretta 682, and seem to be doing the same thing with it. In my opinion, I'm lifting my head for some reason (not sure why I've started that). I was always a little prone to flinching, maybe once every 200-500 rounds, but since I started again, it might be 2 times in 100 rounds.
    I'm leaning towards the stock work, I've gained weight and years since I shot last.

Does that help anyone?

Thanks again?

7. chatbrat

chatbrat TS Member

I really think this is the answer, you mentioned you gained some weight. OK I went for a fitting for my new Infinity 5 degrees negative pitch, the gun slapped me, increased negative pitch to 7 degrees (the same as on my Beretta NCP) no slap---if you hdon't have a flat area around the pectorals you most likely need some negative pitch on your gun----Phil

8. shot410ga

shot410ga Well-Known Member

Stock fit first, then release, if required.

9. jdhalf

jdhalf TS Member

Thanks everyone. I will be making some changes to the stock, starting with the pitch recommendations.

10. Frye

Frye TS Member

I have an idea that helped me when I started dropping targets and walking off the line with a sore face. I was pulling my head off the stock and didn't know why.
    Now, I force myself to do 2 things.
    First, I hold a level gun at the same focal point somewhere around the center of the house on all positions. I center my beads then I look above my barrels. I then relax my right hand just enough to stay into the gun without pushing it to hard into my cheek, then shift a little weight to my left front foot.
    2nd. Call for the target but do not move until you see the target clearly then swing smooth to the target and wipe it from the sky and follow through.

Now here's the trick, when you break the target follow a piece to the ground holding it in the sight picture, If you catch yourself putting yourhead down on the stock, you're lifting your head. It took me about 3 practice rounds to get used to not dropping the gun right after the shot and my scores dropped just a little when I changed my hold point to a level gun, but I'm improving rapidly in handicaps, my face doesn't hurt and I'm much more consistant in singles and doubles AND I didn't need to cut up my guns.

Frye.

11. phirel

phirel TS Member

shot410ga gave concise and easily understood excellent advice. I would give the same advice, but I would use many more words than he did.

Pat Ireland

12. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I agree with the stock fit suggestions. Try a flat washer or two between the recoil pad and the wood (as a temporary fix) and see if that helps. The link above will take you to a source for pitch spacers.

I, on occasion, have a forehand flinch and feel that comes from not having my mind focused on seeing the target. I tried the release trigger, because the hammers were included when I bought the Kolar. I like shooting the release because it is so fast. Learning to shoot double release has been a bit of a challenge. Bill Malcolm

13. N. J. BOB

N. J. BOB Active Member

I miss Rollin !!!!!!

14. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

It has been my experience that most front hand flinches are the result of poor target acquisition and the brain wanting the gun out of the way so it can see the target better. If the flinch occurs only as the gun gets to the target, that is likely the cause. My suggestion would be a lower gun hold point so the brain has a longer amount of time to look at the target before the gun gets to it.

You also seem to have a gun fit problem, so the first place I'd spend any money is on stock work.

Ed

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.