1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable rib?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by FLAKETM, Jul 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Sorry if this ? sounds silly: If you have a gun with a factory adjustable rib and adjustable comb and you shoot no more than 80 percent high, do you just lower the rib to the 80 percent POI or do you also have to raise the comb? Just using 80 percent as an example.

2. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

good advice. Todd

3. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

Thanks, MIA. So, from what I get from all this - an adjustable rib won't do the job on its own with the comb all the way down. I have to tinker with both.

4. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

It's a 2000 I'm considering buying. I'm going to shoot it over the next few days and I have no experience with an adjustable rib. Right now, the fellow who owns it has the front of the rib on what appears to be the second notch. His comb is jacked up high -- about three one-eighth-inch washers. I can hit okay with it like that but I'd rather not shoot such a high comb. He doesn't know the POI in terms of 70-30, 80-20, etc. My TMI Special shoots about 85 percent to 90 percent high -- according to the pattern. I guess I thought that with an adjustable rib, you could just put the rib down most of the way and leave the comb alone. But I'm not sure.

5. FLAKETM

FLAKETM TS Member

MIA and Stubs: Thanks so much for your advice.

6. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

To avoid chasing your "POI tail," remember that whenever you move EITHER the rib or comb, you are changing the POI. The two sighting devices your brain uses to calculate when to issue the "Fire" command to your finger are your eye and the front bead - move either and you move the POI. If you move the rib and then move the comb, you are double-adjusting POI.

I know this flies in the face of many gun owner's manuals, but adjusting the rib to get the POI where you want it and then adjusting the comb to regain your sight picture means you will move the POI twice.

I start with the rib in the middle of its adjustment range and use the comb to get the POI where I want it. Then I have plenty of rib movement available for fine-tuning later on, if needed.

Yes, I know that method might leave you without a figure-8 sight picture but that's really okay. Your brain doesn't use the center bead so as long as it is under the front bead, it doesn't matter how far under it is. My guns all have about 3/8 of an inch of rib showing between the beads and it is something you will get used to quickly.

Ed

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

It really depends on the type of adj rib. Perazzi requires a comb adjustment for any change in inpact your just tilting the rib otherwise. Caesar Guerini and krieghoff type you can just move the barrel or comb independent and get a change in poi. It really doesn't matter as long as you can get the POI where you want it.
    Joe Goldberg

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Yes, I should have specified that I was referring to adjusting the FRONT of the rib. All of my adjustable rib guns have a pivot at the rear of the rib, so I didn't consider the teeter-totter types.

Ed

9. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

As with a rifle, to raise the poi, you must raise the rear sight. On a shotgun the rear sight is the eye. To raise the eye you must raise the comb. Adjusting the rib gives you the figure 8. I have a 4 slot P-gun. To get it to shoot 100% for me the comb is raised and I can not adjust the rib enough to get a fig. 8

10. Kolar Dan

Kolar Dan Member

Guy,
    Whyat are you going to do with Myrtle? Let me know when you are going to the club and I'll see if I can get by there and give you a hand.
    Sonny

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.