1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable Rib

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by shootsome, May 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shootsome

shootsome Member

I've been shooting a BT-100 with only an adjustable comb. Had to buy a new toy - an unsingle with an adjustable rib. It definitely shoots too high for me. Have to float the straight aways way too much. So I plan to lower the POI by lowering the comb. This always worked on the BT-100. But now what do I do with the rib? Leave it alone? Move it up? Or should I leave the comb alone and move the rib up to lower the POI? I'm confused.

2. harpo_old

harpo_old Guest

if you are comfortable with where you have the comb set, then move the front of the rib up or down. if you move it down it should shoot higher or up lower. do one thing at a time then put it on paper.

3. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

The easiest is use the comb to adjust your POI with the rib at it's lowest adjustment in the front not worrying about how much rib you see. Then raise the back of your rib to get the sight picture you prefer.

I like to see my rib as a ramp right to the target. YMMV

4. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

shootsome, if you think about it for a moment you will realize that some of the advice you got on this thread is just plain silly. You are already on the right track, so think it through.

You already know the sights on a shotgun are your eye and the front bead. So moving EITHER just has to affect POI. An adjustable rib and adjustable comb can work hand-in-hand, or separately.

Adjusting the rib up or down means you have raised or lowered the bead relative to your eye position. Since you want a flatter shooting gun, you want to raise your rib in the front. That will lower your POI. Now, if you care about mid and front bead alignment, you will find it has changed. If you want to see the same alignment as you had previously, you have to lower the comb. That will decrease your POI even more, because you have lowered your eye relative to the bead.

So how you adjust is up to you. It is a matter of personal preference, as long as you can still see the bead. I don't care about the middle bead at all. When I was shooting a non-adjustable rib gun I got used to seeing various amounts of rib between the beads. In fact, I like it that way. So I have the flexibility of adjusting only the rib, which I do fairly often to make minor adjustments (because it is easier and quicker on my gun) or adjusting the comb (more time consuming) or doing both if I want a big change.

5. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

+1 on ZZT's response. I have a Beretta unsingle and the instructions that came with it emphasize that major POI adjustments should be done with the comb. On mine, each spacer provided is supposed to move POI 3 inches. Lower comb, lower POI. Raise comb, raise POI. Fine adjustments can then be done with the rib. Each gradation on the rib moves the POI 1 inch. (34 inch bbl)
    Averaged, who used to comment a lot on this forum (and writes for Shotgun Sports, also details this method for adjusting POI. Remember that if you attempt to maintain the same sight plane (i.e. the bead-rib relationship) you are in practice simply keeping the same POI, not changing. As you change the POI, the way you see the alignment of the beads and rib have to change as well.

6. shootsome

shootsome Member

jimrich60 and ZZT - thanks much. I think I understand now how to bring the POI down and still see the same bead allignment I'm used to seeing.

7. dbhackett

dbhackett Member

Send pictures to doug.hackett@sbcglobal.net

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable rib for trap shooting

bt-100 adjustable rib