1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable rib question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Fritzboy, Dec 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Please settle a question. A fellow trapshooter insists the only way to change POI is by moving the comb. He says adjustable ribs have no effect on POI. And I am not talking about the standard K-80 that actually flexes the barrel. Is not a shotgun barrel like a rifle barrel as to POI? You move the comb in the direction you wnat the shot to go. Should not moving the front sight also move POI? You move the sight up and the shot goes down and vice versa. Are Krieghoff,Perazzi and others merely putting an adjustable rib on that has no effect? I think not and my laser sighter proves it.

2. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

Moving the comb and/or the FRONT of the rib will affect POI. Moving the REAR of the rib on guns with "teeter-totter" ribs (Perazzi, for example) will not. Any time you move the sights (your eye or the front bead), you change POI. If the sights don't move, neither does POI.

Ed

3. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

The trick is to move only the rear of a "teeter-totter" rib and not move the front. It's an extra-cost option, generally kept under the counter and available only to All-Americans.

Neil

4. Neil Winston

Now that's thinking, John! I'm still moving them both and wondering what will happen.

Neil

5. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Average Ed is 100% correct. Neil made fun of him because, well, just because it's Neil.

When you adjust the front of a tetter-totter rib, you move the bead and affect POI. The only reason you adjust the back is to unbend the rib. If you forget, or adjust the rear to the wrong notch, don't worry. It has no effect on POI.

6. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

AvereageEd is not 100% correct. His first sentence is correct, and his last sentence is wrong. HMB

7. Neil Winston

All I know is that Wenig just called and the stock Bill English made for me is on the MX-2000 and shipping today, I'm going to copy John's idea, which I think will reduce the mysteries of that system by 75%, maybe more, and I might be able to have some fun with it.

Besides, zzt, Ed and I pull each other's legs all the time. If I didn't comment on that, he would have thought I wasn't reading what he posts anymore.

Neil

8. AveragEd

AveragEd Well-Known Member

All in good fun. I'm closing the office now until Monday and probably won't be on here until then, so everyone please have a great Christmas!

Ed

9. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

I'm sure glad that my Trap guns both have fixed ribs. Incidentally what happens to a 'teeter totter' rib if you don't get the notch movement in sync ? When you move the rear up one notch you are supposed to move the front down one notch. Does the rib bend or cause damage to the gun ?

10. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Fritzboy.....What I said was "Moving the rib has very little effect on POI UNLESS you're AIMING at the target!"

Jere

11. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

Gary.....Yes, you know Harry's "fellow trapshooter" and that's probably the nicest thing he has ever called me. Merry Christmas Gary and everyone who enjoys this site.

Jere

12. Rebsmith

Rebsmith Member

13. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Neil if you want your Perazzi to shoot higher! Take the rib off and mill .080 off from the muzzle to the end of the back end of the block, turn the front spring loaded adjusting blade up-side down, re-install the rib with the rear at highest point w/o the center C-Clip stud and take a round file and refit the center C-Clip stud so it slides in, it will not move back and forth if done properly, do not make the hole bigger, just file the bottom of the center stud opening.

This will take POI to about 18" high. You can still lower POI from that.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

14. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

Fritz Boy why do you think the factory came out with adjustable ribs? And People like Simmons and Moneymaker install them?

Alfermann needs to design a Adjustable rib for their gun, something like a One Touch like Ljutic has would be perfect. I think Larry and Gary Alfermann can do the job. They need a spurt in gun sales.

Fixed ribs seem to be a thing in the past.We are in the 21st Century now.

Maybe an electronically controlled adjustable rib, and an electronic release trigger to go with it.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.