1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

??adjustable rib on O/U barrel??

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by chiefjon, Feb 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

I would be interested in feedback from those who shoot an O/U with an adjustable rib. I know there has been considerable debate regarding the real value of an adj. rib on an unsingle...but, I wonder if any of you have really adjusted the rib to move the POI on either the over or under barrel. Could you really make a back up to your unsingle, by adjusting the POI of the O/U to match the POI of the unsingle. Or, what is the real purpose of having an adj. rib on an O/U barrel. Thanks for any input.

JON

2. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

I have an adjustable rib combo, and I do in fact adjust the ribs to different POIs. For doubles I like a flatter shooting gun, so the rib on the O/U is usually set up flatter. Since the O/U is only an inch shorter than my unsingle, yes, if I put the rib in the same notch, it shoots to the same POI as the unsingle with the same comb height.

3. citadel

citadel Active Member

Jon would you like to try my MX10 adjustable double out at Coon Creek some time soon and see how you like it and we can go to the pattern board and try moving things around and see what happens when we do so. Just let me know and we can find a convenient time to meet. You can phone me at 916-677-2030 and I will call you back during the week.
    Let me know.
    Doug/ citadel

4. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Doug,

Thanks for the offer. I was just looking for some feedback. When the weather clears up a bit, maybe we can get back to shooting...

JON

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Jon.. You've been at this sport a long time.. so maybe this will mean more to you than others... As your shooting progresses.. I see most shooters going to a higher POI.. They get more comfortable with barrel speed.. and the more they shoot.. the easier they control it.. I started at 50/50... and by the end of my first run.. I was 80/20... After a 3 year lay off.. and bad eyes.. I'm starting back at 60/40... and trying to move into 70/30... After my eye surgery..hopefully.. I'll get my smooth swing back.. and maybe my 80/20.. The adjustable rib.. and or comb allows this..

After all was set for me.. a while back.. I changed nothing.. It's the time in the middle the adjustable comb/rib was useful.. The best shooting I ever did was with an old fixed rib Seitz #49.. The comb did all the work... I bought an adjustable rib Seitz.. but always go back to my older one.. It just works better.. They weight with in .04KG of each other.. and I share the same PFS stock..

I guess at the end of the day..to a seasoned shooter.. an adjustable comb is all you really need..But. to each his own..

6. turmite

turmite Member

Jon, I hope you don't mind me asking a couple of related questions on your thread.

I am building a junker bolt gun into a trap gun just to see my students grin when they get to shoot it. Look in the bolt gun thread for a rendering of what it may or may not look like in it's finished form.

I am in dire need of info about the taper of the rib, if indeed an adjustable rib would benefit considering the intended prupose and if non adjustable, what kind of rib specs to use.

The finished barrel will be 30" in length and the rib can be a max of 1.438" above center of bore. Lop is adjustable from about 13-15" (just measured on cad). Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Mike

7. Hammer1

Hammer1 Active Member

Have no first hand knowledge or experience.

But the kind people at Hal DuPont's Krieghoff store told me that the K-80 Trap Special with their adjustable-rib combined with the ability to change lower barrel hangers that they could set a Doubles gun to shoot up to 120/0 on the lower barrel and a flat 60/40 or 50/50 on the upper barrel.

Again, no first hand knowledge.

8. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Big Bore,

I understand what you are saying. Once I got the adj. rib on my unsingle set, I really have never changed it. But, I really stink at doubles and was thinking maybe spending more time with the o/u would be good and maybe and adj rib on it would even be better. My eyes are really the problem. I just ordered new everyday glasses...with a new script, and will order the new shooting glasses this week. I shot my best doubles with a 30" Citori Plus...but for the price of the damn DT 10 I can't say that outloud.

Turmite,

I really have not had much experience with the "taper" of the rib. I shot a Broadway rib for a while and it was really the only rib I ever paid much attention to. It was so wide you couldn't miss it...but no real taper. Having the adj. rib on the unsingle was helpful when I was first getting used to the gun. For me, it did help.

JON

9. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Sure you can say that Jon...thats why I love the Citori Pluses so much...no it cant let you adjust indivual barrels, but I've always been happy to get both barrels shooting in the same place ...about 90% high which works great...I hope you kept it and didnt let the hi rollers convince you how inferior it and you are for shooting it

10. dverna

dverna Active Member

turmite,

The adjustable rib on the the K-80 moves the barrel to effect the POI. There is no change to the comb needed to maintain the same sight picture.

The adjustable rib on a CG changes the height of the front sight to effect the POI. It would seem that to keep the same sight picture, the comb must also be moved (opposite to how the front moved?) when the rib is moved. CG owners will chime in as I am guessing (never shot one - just looked at it).

For your bolt gun, the CG type rib will be easier to build. The K-80 type relies on a very ridged rib that has sufficient strength to bend the barrel.

Don Verna

11. mkstephen

mkstephen Active Member

I prescribe to Harlan Campbell's theory.

I have a Caesar Guerini Magnus combo 34" unsingle and 32" O/U.

I have my Casesar Guerini's 34" unsingle set to 100% high - 5.5" high @ 13yds - 15" high @ 40yds. Chokes improved modified on singles - full on handicap.

My O/U 32" barrels are also set to 100% high both barrels. Since CG O/U barrels are regulated to the same point of impact if one barrel is 100% high so is the other. Chokes light modified 0.017 on bottom barrel - improved modified on top barrel 0.026.

We work hard to get a gun's point of impact (unsingle) to shoot where we are looking. Why would we change the barrel (to O/U) and have it shoot to two different points of impact?

I might add that when changing barrels I don't have to move my comb. I see the same sight picture when using either barrel - stacked figure 8 beads. This is a plus for the way the gun is built as years ago changing barrels meant you had to change the comb or cheek piece.

All three of my barrels shoot to the same point of impact. For other shooters that may be 80/20, 60/40, etc but I believe in keeping everything the same. Your mind doesn't have to figure out three different points of impact - just one.

That's Harlan's theory and I prescribe to it.

Michael Stephenson

AA-26-AA

12. chiefjon

chiefjon Active Member

Michael,

You describe what I think I want. I have adjusted my POI on the unsingle...so, when I put the o/u on the action, I may see the same bead picture, but the POI is different. I am a work in progress on this, but it seems the adj. rib on the o/u may be an ans.

JON

13. zzt

zzt Well-Known Member

Jon, if your unsingle and O/U barrel lengths differ by more than an inch, and you have them set up to shoot high, an adjustable rib on the O/U is the only alternative to adjusting the comb.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable rib barrels