1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable Rib on a TM-1

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by MikeInNPR, Jun 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Would putting an adjustable rib(moneymaker) on a TM-1 be a bad idea? Right now I have my TM-1 fitting me better than ever, but the gun is shooting way to low. I recently rolled the comb over to keep from having to "cheek" the stock so hard to get lined up like I want. As a result the POI has dropped. I would like to have the sight picture and POI I want and thinking an adjustable rib may be the answer? Any comments?

2. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

It would be a lot easier to just ditch the mid bead and shoot the gun proper.

ss

3. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Wouldn't an adjustable comb be cheaper? It sounds like that you need to make up the wood that was removed rolling over the comb.
    Dave

4. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Concur, just add an adjustable comb. Adding an adjustable rib by itself will not help you.

5. short shucker

short shucker TS Member

Guys,

You're missing the point of this thread.

The shooter has lowered the comb height to see "the magical fig 8 pattern" that everyone says you need to see. Since he has done this, the POI is too flat for him now (go figure). He wants to put an adjustable rib ($800 +) to get the desired "fig 8" bead configuration and bring his POI back up to where it was before he lowered the comb height. Yes, he'll also be out another $200 for the adjustable comb once he figures out he'll need that to make the rib work like he wants.

I wish they would stop teaching the whole "fig 8" thing. A lot of nice guns have been ruined trying to get the bead stack right.

6. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Making the stock fit me was as much a necessity as anything. I was feeling alot of recoil in my cheek. Sounds like some guys cringe at the thought of modifying the gun from it's original design.

I relize I will most likely need an adjustable comb if I go thru with the rib. Other than some people don't feel the need to spend $800 on a rib, is there any other reason not to give this a try?

7. Gary Waalkes

Gary Waalkes Well-Known Member

If you want to put an adjustable rib on that gun, you will also need an adjustable comb. the rib on a TM1 is low and to get an adjustable one on there, you will have to raise the rib height to accomodate the adjustment mechanism and barrel connection. The guys face is already too low and now the rib is raised. Going to need an adjustable comb just to keep up. the photo below shows the end of a TM1 barrel - they are very low.

[​IMG]

8. markdenis

markdenis TS Member

I you put an adjustable rib and comb on your TM-1, you will be able to set it up to fit you and make it shoot where ever you want. That is of course if you have enough adjustment on both the rib and comb.

Mark Rounds

9. BigDave1200

BigDave1200 Member

Sight picture to me is where the bird is in relation to the end of the barrel. I used to be concerned that I could see flat down the rib but your not supposed to be looking down the rib, your supposed to be looking at the target. Am I wrong?

10. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Gentlemen,

Please take note that the original poster didn't mention a "figure 8" at all. He adjusted his comb for comfort which lowered the POI. Now he wants to bring the POI back up.

MikeInPR,

You will need to raise your comb to achieve what you want whether or not you put an adjustable rib on it.

11. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Before you spend a bunch of money on an adjustable rib or comb ... try adding a "moleskin" on the comb! That will tell you if it works.

12. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

Rastoff

"Please take note that the original poster didn't mention a "figure 8" at all."

You are correct he didn't mention a figure 8 in those words. He did however say that he recently polled the stock over for a purpose and as he describes the roll over work was done to aid in bead alignment in one direction or the other.

"I recently rolled the comb over to keep from having to "cheek" the stock so hard to get lined up like I want."

Mike also said that he was feeling recoil in his face which again eludes to bead alignment. He hasn't explained in which direction the beads needed to go to get him lined up like he wants. However having a rib which is adjustable up and down would suggest bead alignment is important to him.

"Making the stock fit me was as much a necessity as anything. I was feeling alot of recoil in my cheek.

Bob Lawless

13. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

MOLESKIN !!! Feels nice on the jaw,too.

14. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

Mike,

Here is my TM1 with a adjustable rib
    [​IMG]

15. luvtrapguns

luvtrapguns Well-Known Member

Doug, That is a really nice looking rib and TM-1. I am in the camp that says make the gun to suit you. The purists would have you keeping everything as it left the factory. What good is a standard gun if you can not shoot it well. Who did the rib work?

Mike adjusted his comb to get the left/right bead alignment correct. The lower impact point was an unwanted side effect. A moleskin, as I know them, will add height to the comb but will also thicken the comb putting mike back where he started. An adjustable comb seems to be the best answer. Marc

16. Doug Kennedy

Doug Kennedy Active Member

luvtrapguns and Joe,
    Dennis Devault did the adjustable rib. Stu Wright and crew did the rest of the gunsmithing work. The TM1 in the picture I posted is for sale. The price is 4850.00

17. Quick 1

Quick 1 Active Member

Mike,
    After shooting a TMX a short time, my old TM-1 just didn't feel good anymore! I had Jay Barnes at Moneymaker put on an adjustable tapered rib and told him to make it shoot 80% high in the top notch on the rib (lowest poi position)and he did exactly that. The rib is a little higher than my Tmx rib so I had to use long posts on my adjustable comb. Later I purchased a beautiful TMX stock and forearm on trapshooters.com to complete the update. I had to extend the posts a small amount on the TMX stock. Yes, it cost a little money to get what I wanted, But I feel it was well spent. The gun was outdated and of no use the way it was, now it is my favorite trapgun.
    Mike

18. MikeInNPR

MikeInNPR Member

Quick 1 (Mike),

Thanks for the response. This is pretty much my way of thinking also. Would it be possible to get a couple pictures of the rin that was added to your gun? Are you satisfied wiht the work that was done? email is above

19. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Thsi is a new TMX stock. Will bolt right on to your project andbe right height
    mia_2008_030324.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.