1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable rib on a 391 barrel

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by BLACKDOG, Jul 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BLACKDOG

BLACKDOG TS Member

I would like opinions and results of anyone putting a high adujustable on a Beretta 391 auto. Then who would be the best at do those change's

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I put a Hydeal 1/2" add-on rib on my 391. It cost about $ 70 and looks very nice. I can change the point of aim by raising or lowering the comb.

Moneymaker charges $850 to convert a 3921 to an adjustable rib. The only thing an adjustable rib does is allow you to keep the same rib and bead alignment when you raise or lower the comb. This matters to some people, though I don't know why.
    Only the relationship between the front bead and the comb affects your point of aim. I don't care whether I see a little more or less rib when I shoulder the gun
    because it has absolutely no effect on where the gun shoots.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Contrary to some opinions, an adjustable rib does aid in changing point of impact (POI). Per my Beretta unsingle instructions, changing the adjustable comb by one spacer up or down, will change POI by about 3 inches. Changing the rib by one mark will change POI by about 1 inch (at 40 yds) Per instructions with my combo, I adjusted the comb to set POI for the double barrels. Next, without changing comb again, I then used the rib adjustments to set to POI for the single barrel (and can also use rib adjustments for changing POI for handicap when desired.) Properly used, and adjustable rib can add much to being able to "tune" your gun to get the POI you want. I also have a Beretta 391 which has an adjustable rib from Moneymaker. It works extremely well, and since it replaces the factory rib, looks great and not as an afterthought. They are,of course a bit expensive, running around 750.00.
    Another alternative is an add on adjustable rib made by Keen Sights. They do a very nice add on which adds height, and has a fairly good range of adjustments. This rib can be added without mods to the existing rib, so you can always remove. It runs, I believe, around 450.00. Check out their web site, or call Vicki Keen for more info. Great people to do business with. The key to remember is to make the major POI changes with the comb, and if needed, fine tune with the adjustable rib. It works.

4. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

If I need to make one inch adjustments, I use thinner spacers in the comb. The Hydeal rib is 5/16" wide and matches the width of the 391 rib at the muzzle. It has holes for the center bead and the front bead. It's a very nicely finished black color, comes with mounting tape attached, has lightening holes. For the same money you can buy the adjustable rib - or the Hydeal rib and another 391.

5. birdbomb

birdbomb TS Member

deffinatly devault his beretta conversions are sweet

6. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

I have owned several Moneymaker ribs. IMHO, it is a crap shoot as to what you get. I have had rib posts that shot loose in the first 50 pr. of doubles. I had the 70/30 POI ordered that shot 100 high. I had a Moneymaker installed choke tube installed crooked in the bbl. that burst the muzzle behind the threads of the tube, bbl. wall was under .010. I also have had 3 barrels that were exactly as ordered and never failed, shooting 6M doubles a year.

I never heard of a problem with Dennis Devault ribs but never owned one, having gone to a MX 10 for dbl.s

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.