1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable Rib Guns for Bunker

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by smoke100, Feb 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smoke100

smoke100 TS Member

After years of shooting bunker with a fixed rib/comb MX-8, I'm considering switching to a high, adjustable rib/comb Perazzi, either a MX2000/3 or 2000/5. The main reasons for considering this change is to compensate for decreased flexibility that makes it more difficult to get "down on the stock" and the theoretical advantage of a more upright head position. I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has made such a change and the positive and negatives they may have encountered.

2. GIV1911

GIV1911 TS Member

I bought a 2000/3 last october I haven"t shot it at bunker yet, sure does great at skeet and ATA trap, just purchased a MX2000 unsingle barrel for it.
    bryan

3. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Contact FFwildcat about the rib I made for his son..

4. Baber

Baber TS Member

Ain't sold on the high ribs. Might be ok for slow ATA or the Trick shot of Doublr Trap but not for bunker. Tried a 2008 at Benning last year and it swing like a fence post. I have a photo of Guy Avedisian with a 2005 that shows the target way out ofthe house and he has not even seen it. He sold the gun after a few months. It's hard to beat the flat ribbed bunke gun for bunker.

Tom

5. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

Tom.. while I don't disagree with you.. as my best shooting was done with my old step rib MX-8 barrel... my MX10 3 step..(low rib).. or my 34" flatrib.. There are a few Olympic shooters who have done well with a 29.5" lightweight MX2005 barrel.. I don't know if they stayed with it.. but in Kerrville.. their shooting was fantastic.. The add on rib I've played with has a whole lot of hope for me.. and bunker... From what I can tell.. it's 2 entirely different shooting styles.. Personally.. I like the relationship between the front of the barrel.. and the target.. I need to be assossiated with both... Some shooters have no barrel/rib association.. and just see the target... When I shoot like that.. my add on short rib works great.. Bottom line is.. you've got to shoot both..

I do agree.. the market is littered with high ribs people just could not shoot.. Anyone can shoot a low or flat rib.. Going back to the old days.. Ljutic Olympic rib... DB-81... It was always a Love/hate thing.. I don't think any kind of promotion will change that..

All Good.. Mike

6. Setterman

Setterman Well-Known Member

Depends how you shoot. Some use the ghost barrel for reference, some the ghost bead. If you look over the rib, and your POI is right, it shouldn't matter.

I've shot a Blaser Super trap and a flat ribbed MX8. Couldn't tell any difference

7. smoke100

smoke100 TS Member

PerazziBigBore:

Since your MX10 is the same as the MX2000/3, I'd be interested in knowing how it compared to your MX8 in terms of handling and balance.

I've had an opportunity to shoot an MX2005 and felt uncomfortable with the "aiming point" so far removed from the bore. I thought the MX2000/3 (AKA MX10) might retain the same feel of my MX8 but allow a more upright head position (which is the one thing I did like about the MX2005).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

guy avedisian

high rib for bunker

what is the rib hieght on a perazzi db 81 compared to a mx2005