1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adjustable mec charge bar question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by kallen, Dec 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kallen

kallen TS Member

I have a model c crony adjustable charge bar for my mec reloader. I recently changed powders from titegroup to tightwad due to availability. Previously my bar was set up for 16.7 grams of titegroup powder and the settings was 0+36. I know that titewad is less dense and so the volume would need to be increased as would the setting. I was shocked to see the bar setting had to be increased to 4+0 to get the same number of grains of titewad. I checked my scales with the old load of titegroup and they were right on 16.7 Shooting crony people told me today this is not possible to need that much change in settings. My question is if anyone else has had this experience. There may not be a problem as long as the proper powder is dispensed but just interested in others experience here. Thanks in advance, Ken

2. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

With a reliable scle that is not much of a volumetric change in charge bar adj.

Dr.longshot

3. kallen

kallen TS Member

Hodgons people tell me there is about 40% greater volume between the two powders.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

For get the dial settings on your universal charge bar. There is to much slop or take up in the adjuster. Like the mec bushings these settings are only to get you close. I adjust dial to a point below my target weight. Then turn up slowly until slop is taken up. Then I adjust up until desired drop is reached. Weigh your charges and adjust as necessary. Trust your scale, not the graduated scale on adjuster knob. Like the Mec factory bushings you need to get close then adjust as needed. i have 2 loaders with charge bars. One bar has a brass spring gizmo on it that helps with the slack in the adjuster. both once set, Drop consistantly.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

That is the advantage of the adjustable charge bar- as stated above- set the bar to what your scale indicates

regards from Iowa

Gene

6. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

kallen .... Just like those before me stated, an adjustable metric bar is just that adjustable (fantastic option for a MEC), the settings on the metric knob are only a reference and only that, to get you close. Always use a powder scale for exact settings, preferable a digital scale (much faster for small changes in weight/volume although a beam scale is hard to beat when on a budget), always keep a written log of your metric settings as a reference when changing powders and loads. Always take the slop out of the adjustment screw threads when making final setting and always in the same direction each time you have to make an adjustment.

Always remember that powder is measured in grains & not grams as in "16.7 grams of titegroup powder".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.