1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adjustable comb?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Bruce Specht, Aug 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

It seems that lately I need to hold the gun higher on my shoulder to score well. My guns are all vintage 70's or earlier they have trap stocks but no rib adjustment or stock adjustment. Will installing an adjustable comb be the thing to do?

2. craby boy

craby boy TS Member

A point of impact test on paper @ 13 yds would be easy to do, then put some mole skin from drug store on the comb do it again, 5.00 and some testing will answer a lot of questions before spending a couple of hundred.

Pete

3. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

I would think that you would want to install an adjustable butt plate and recoil pad. That way you can lower the butt plate to mount it in the same place on your shoulder, but get your head up higher, which is what I think you are looking to accomplish. This should have minimal or no effect on your POI. JMHO Bill Malcolm

4. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

I am not sure what you are accomplishing or changing by "holding the gun higher on your shoulder". This does not change the relationship of your eye (rear sight) to the front bead (front sight) and thus does not affect the POI. Perhaps it helps somehow in gun movement, or perhaps helps offset some of the recoil, or affects a subconscious flinch. It may also affect facial comfort/fit on the comb, and thus help shooting a bit. It may also be that you have been holding the gun too low in the shoulder in the first place, and this is just adjustment. In any case, the buttpad should be snug into your shoulder pocket, with as much of the pad surface touching as possible. If the pad is either above or below the pocket and not supported by shoulder, it reduces the surface area which absorbs recoils, increasing felt recoil-something usually to be avoided.

You really do need to establish what POI the gun has at the pattern board before deciding you need an adjustable comb to change it. I would first try adding an adjustable buttplate which would allow you to set the recoil pad surface firmly in the shoulder pocket, and the gun at a natural level of comfort for good swing and follow through. Then with the POI established at the board, decide if you need to raise this. AS suggested, you can try this out with some moleskin etc to see if raising the POI is what you want. (that is what the adjustable comb does) If so, then you can invest in the comb change. Another advantage of the adjustable comb is that there is some left/right movement possible, which allows for a bit of cast on/cast off adjustment if needed.

Jim R

5. Bruce Specht

Bruce Specht Well-Known Member

I appreciate the post and will set up tommorow night to check POI. I've been shooting for thirty plus years and it's just the last year that this has been an issue. I had a 5th shoulder surgery a year ago tis coming Decemeber on my left shoulder (right handed shooter) it may be affecting my gun hols some how.

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Bruce:

Given that issues with gun hold began about the time you recovered from your last shoulder surgery, I would suspect that the repair work has possibly affected (subconsciously) your stance in some way, and that raising the gun pad position in the right shoulder pocket is in some way compensating for this difference. If that proves the case, then you can easily correct the issue with an adjustable butt plate. This would allow you to keep the gun position higher as you do now, but keep the butt pad down in the pocket for best recoil absorbtion, all other factors being equal. If you want to change POI at all, then you would need to adjust comb height in one way or another.

Jim R

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.