1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb??????????

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by SR1, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have a Browning Special trap o/u with 30"bbls with a non-adj.comb.I shoot this gun fairly well but do not ink ball the targets on a consistant basis.My question is does anybody think a adj.comb would help as I do lower my head to get it on the stock.I have a morgan pad on it and that helped get the stock in a higer position for me but they only adj. so far.Thank you for any and all ideas Shaun.

2. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Adjusting the comb upward will raise the gun's point of impact...it will shoot above where you point it. If you want to return the POI (and your current "sight alignment") to its original location you will need to add an aftermarket rib. The whole thing can get very complicated very quickly.

If you can locate a professional stockfitter reasonably close to where you live, I'd take advantages of their services.

Morgan

3. ddrsuz

ddrsuz Member

As I am sure you will hear from all the august senior (as in experienced) members of the forum......go pattern it. If you are getting offset patterns or feel uncomfortable behind the gun, then the adjustable comb should help. If you are addicted to a certain sight picture on the rib, then you may need to adjust it further with a butt pad. If you jack up the comb to help with your neck bending, you are going to see a bunch more rib, if that is not an issue, let'er rip.
    Besides, I think you should have something like that on the gun so you can constantly adjust it, giving you hours of satisfaction messing with your gun and endless excuses for lost birds.
    d

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

follwed Neil Winstons pattern method, got my gun shooting where I wanted it to. I have since mentally thrown the beads out. I hardly ever look at them anymore.

5. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

" follwed Neil Winstons pattern method, ..."

One of the items on my list of things to do before I die is to understand Neil's pattern method; makes no logical sense to me to pattern a gun at 13 yards and expect to learn ANYTHING about what's going on with it at 40 yards.

Morgan

6. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

Capt'n Morgan, with all due respect. I think Neil and others check POI at 13yds. Not the pattern. Steve

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

captain, I think what Neil W method does is help in solveing the Where is the gun or you shooting. At 13yards when you move your comb or adjust your rib or move the adjustable pad, you will see the result. I would be at a loss if not for this method, now once I found out that my barrels where shooting straight with the beads lined up, I adjusted my comb to have a high poi. Then i moved the board out to 35 yards to see what/where the general pattern looked like. I found a bad choke becouse of neils method. I really do not think this would have shown up as much at 40 yards. I do agree this test is not live fire in motion, but believe me put a 50 100 rnds at the pattern board and you will ataert to understnd where your looking vs where your gun is shooting. Try it if it works for you ok if not thjats ok to. Onme thing I learned and it took a while to notice. When I raised my comb I need to adjust my LtoR comb adjustment. Shooting left handed, as I raised tyhe comb I had to move it to the right to keep my poi centered. To counter yours ? of neils W method. I do not see how locking the trap for straight aways from post 3 and adjust to you get ink balls. I feel you just start to get used to where you need to shoot?. I think first ehat needs to be determined is where is he shooting under over or left or right of the center patern . I find citoris are very flat shooting with a non adjustable comb.

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

You're probably right...but even that makes no sense to me!

Morgan

9. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have shot it at 13yrds and it is near 3" high for me so what ever that converts to is all greek to me.I broke 48 out of 50 last night and I did the same the week before during our county league.The thing is I will ink ball 7 or 8 birds in a row and then start to chip and chunk them I know a broke bird counts whether its destroyed or you just get a piece of it.I just would like to shoot more consistant and was wondering if a adj.comb might help me with that.Oh and I have close to 10,000 rounds through this gun so its not like I just started shooting it either.I live in wny and dont know of any stock fitters near me if anyone does please let me know thanks.

10. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

"I have shot it at 13yrds and it is near 3" high for me so what ever that converts to is all greek to me."

That's it in a nutshell!! Where the big hole in the paper is relative to the target on the paper at 13 yards (39 feet) converts to WHAT THE HECK at the other distance-part of the equation?? And if the testing is done at 50 feet (16.7 yards) is the data skewed?

If the rough center of the big hole is 5 inches above the rough center of the target at 13 yards, where the heck is it supposed to be when the shot reaches an actual bird? How do we know this and how are we supposed to figure it out for any other measurement we might get?

Morgan

11. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

A good fitting session will reveal and solve some these problem. In response to the pattern test....I just pattern at 35, 40 yards. I want to see what my gun does at the actual POI. I dont pay much attention to the 13 yd conversion charts. Todd

12. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

The purpose of shooting a pattern at 13 yards is to get you gun shooting straight (vertically/up and down) not determine a point of impact ( how high or low your gun shoots). Shoot it at 13 yards till your pattern is centered, then move back to 26-28 yards. See if it is still centered (vertically). Point of impact is only relevant when you use it as reference: "My gun shoots 10" high (center of pattern) at 28 yards". The only reason to move back to 28 yards, is to get more centered, like sighting in a rifle at 50 yards, then again at 100 yards. The longer distance sight in makes it a more accurate setting. But, be cautious, the pattern gets to be 20-22" diameter with a full choke, and the center of pattern is harder to determine. It should be done on a bench, but I often wonder if "bench shooting" gives the same POI as stand up, straight hand shooting.

13. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

If the gun has Browning Invector or Invector Plus chokes be aware that they are more open than other manufacturers. See the website above. Use IM for Singles and Full for Handicap.

14. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I would like to get the gun fitted but do not know of anyone in nwpa/wny are if anybody knows some one please let me know.

15. SR1

SR1 TS Member

I have briley chokes IM/LF/F I shoot the LF most of the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning special trap adj comb standard position shot pattern