1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

adjustable comb

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dwpelle, Apr 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dwpelle

dwpelle Member

hello everyone.

so i have a 391 trap 30". great condition. I love shooting with it. so here is my conundrum...

i would like a litter higher poi. although i must sheepishly admit that i havent taken it to the pattern board it seems like i can't quite fully float the target...pretty close though, it is definitely a high shooter probably somewhere inbetween 60/40 70/30. just my guess. anyway, i am toying with the idea of adding an adjustable comb to it...

so what do all think...if i can pretty much figure 8 with the current comb height would i be looking too much at the rib than down it if i increase the height of the comb without altering the rib. I really don't want to put on a "stack-on" rib. also would you guys recommend getting aftermarket hardware (comb and plate) put on a 98% 391 trap or sell it and dish out a few more bucks for a teknys trap with a 32". how is the beretta factory adjustable comb??

thanks to all ahead of time for responses..

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Add some strips of moleskin to the top of the comb. Then see if your shooting and sight picture improve. Then you can make the right decision. HMB

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

Certainly adding an adjustable comb would allow you to raise/change the POI (if in fact you really need or want to do this). By raising the comb, you raise the POI, and it does not matter at all whether or not you still see a "figure 8" bead relationship. When you raise the comb, you will see more of the rib, and there is nothing wrong with this. The only two points that matter are the rear sight (your eye) and the front sight (front bead) and the angle between them in setting the POI. The middle bead is really an irrelevance whose only real function is to help align the gun initially to prevent canting. How it stacks up with the front bead in your "sight picture" does not matter. But hmb's suggestion is a good one. Try raising the comb with a bit of moleskin or other to see if you like a higher POI before investing in an adjustable comb, then if you like the change, go for it. As for an adjustable buttplate, while this will do nothing for POI changes, etc, they are great for helping to adjust for maximum stock comfort and fit. Lastly, if you like the 391, and it shoots well for you, then keep it and make what adjustments you need to make it even better. While a new gun may seem appealing, you would likely find you would have to make adjustments/changes to it to get it shooting just as you like and to "fit" you just as you will for the 391. JMHO

Jim R

4. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

If you want to see a fig 8 all you have to do is move the back bead forward to get the site picture you like. I undestand where you are coming from with the site picture but many people will argue the issue.

I agree with HMB. Add a few layers of moleskin until you reach the timpact you want. Most berettas can be adjusted some what with tthe shims. I don't know if you can raise the stock wit them or not or if they will only adjust cast. Jeff

5. dwpelle

dwpelle Member

Thanks for the responses ,,,

my only question is...

when i mount the gun for a figure of 8 i am always consistent with where the gun is pointing because i know my eye and the bead are lined up in a perfect spatial relationship...3 points make a line thing...

but if I don't rely on my center bead than how do I know when I mount the gun i am consistent...i can't really rely on a certain distance between the beads...so if I push my cheek down a little harder this time etc etc my angle where my gun is pointing with respect to the ground is shifted and I become inconsistent.

thoughts???

thanks for the responses

6. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

If you raise your comb (by whatever method) but then push your cheek down harder to regain the previous "sight picture" (that is, the infamous figure 8), then you have just negated the change in POI you gained by raising the comb. The only way to change the POI is by raising/lowering the comb (that is the rear sight/your eye) or lowering/raising the front sight/bead (which requires an adjustable rib). Unless you have a mid pivot adjustable rib, this will inevitably change the relationship you see between the mid bead and the front bead. You will see more rib surface (if raising the comb or lowering the front bead). You need to learn to judge what this is/looks like and it will become repeatable when you shoulder the gun. You also learn to judge where you place your head/cheek on the comb and how much pressure is felt and this becomes habit. Thus your shouldering of the gun and position becomes consistent. While large differences in cheek position, pressure, bead relationship, might affect POI significantly, tiny differences will not make that much change that you would really notice in POI.

Jim R

7. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You can raise the height of the comb with the shims but that also changes the angle of the stock and where the pad fits your shoulder. I personally see
    a lot of space between the beads, and it doesn't bother me at all - in fact it makes it easier to see the relationship between the beads and your point of aim. I have used moleskin to raise the comb but find that I don't need it -the gun fits me fine as is.

I would highly recommend that you send your gun stock to Joe Bowles, Tronspace.com. You will see he is highly recommended on this forum and his prices are the lowest I have seen. You will have a much better adjustable stock than the factory Beretta adjustable stock.

8. wolfram

wolfram Well-Known Member

When you raise the comb you will get a different view of the rib. What you will see is more of a ramp and there will be some of the rib showing between the two beads. It is pretty easy to get use to this new sight picture, certainly as easy as the 'figure 8' view that you seem to like.

From what you have indicated, it sounds like you want to stick with the 391. (good gun by the way) So if that is the case then the next step is the adjustable comb. Tron (Joe Bowles)does a great job with these, a I am totally pleased with the adjustable comb mod he did on one of my 682 stocks - first rate quality at a fair price. Give that a try and see if the new sight picture works for you. If you really don't like it and need the stacked beads as a reference then your next mod would be an adjustable rib.

9. huntinandhotrods

huntinandhotrods Member

Dwpelle - You have a PM - Hope this helps Huntinandhotrods

10. dead on 4

dead on 4 Well-Known Member

Jerri White in Fort Collins Colorado developed what's known as the "Bump". The Bump is nothing more than a small block of material such as plastic or alum that has bead on it and mounts on the rib where the center bead now resides. You can make one out balsa wood painted black gluing a bead on it and tape it to the rib over the exisiting bead for trial.

The height of the bump will do two things: one raise the point of impact depending how high you make the bump and two: keep the relationship of the center and front bead in figure 8 alignment just as it is now. You will need to raise the comb height as you increase the height of the bump until you reach the desired POI.

As mentioned you can use Dr. Scholls adhesive backed mole skin or a rapid comb which uses Velcro and has changeable shims for height. Ther are a number of other products available to raise the comb other than what's mentioned.
    try this method and you'll be surprised..............

Surfer

11. Danny870

Danny870 Member

bass pro has a comb raising kit mad by beartooth it comes with 5 pads 1/8 1/4 3/8 1/2 5/8 you could try it before you have your stock cut to see if you like it i think it is around 30.00 dollers also can see one at www.beartoothproducts.com Danny

12. mako72401

mako72401 Member

My 12 year old daughter has started shooting trap this season. I wanted to get her POI up to start with, so that she could learn with a gun that she can "aim" under the target. But, didn't want to spend a lot on a true trap gun for her yet, or on having an adjustable comb installed. So I got a "Soft comb" adjuster kid from Meadow Industries. Has a nice adjustable setup with shims and a cover, and was about $25 shipped. One of the best investments I have made for her gun.

http://www.meadowindustries.com/gunstocks_convert.html

Now that I know she is wanting to stick with it, I don't mind putting some money into having her comb cut, or maybe even a trap gun for next season.

Jim

13. rodbuster

rodbuster TS Member

Did you try to change the shim position? There is a shim between the receiver and the buttstock, and also one under the stock nut. I changed the positions of those two items on my 391 Trap, and it seemed to make a differance. How many rounds have you shot with the 391? I have been told that you need to shoot at least 500 rounds or more before you even get used to a new gun. Maybe a little more practice would help. One thing that I found was helpful, was to lock the trap machine to throw straight-aways when you are shooting from position 3. Then just shoot from 3 to see where the gun is hitting the targets. In my case, I found that this was more useful in determining POI, than using the patterning board.

I don't think that a 32" barrel would change your POI. It may smooth out your swing, but a weighted mag cap could do the same on a 30" barrel. The 391 Trap with the 30", step rib trap barrel is a great package. I would give it a little more time. Do you have a Monte Carlo stock?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjust comb as you move back in trap