1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb with fixed rib

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bigdogtx, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

What would happen on a "flat shooting" gun if you put an adjustable comb on a "sporting"/"skeet" gun? Could you shoot trap as well as the other games effectively? Trying to get best bang for the buck. Looking towards the 391 or 1100's. Better options?

Thanks....

2. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

If you move the comb up, for example, and do not move the rib the gun WILL shoot higher. However your sight picture will change in that you will not be able to "stack" the beads. If you shoot off the end of the barrel, this is fine.

3. Garry

Garry Active Member

Does shooting off the end of your barrel mean that you are only using the front sight for the bird/bead sight picture?

4. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

The 391 in Parallel Target is a great all-around gun, esp. with the 30" bbl. Comb? With the shims, spacers that Beretta provides, I'd shoot the gun first before adding a comb...no need to fix something that ain't broke!

WNCRob

5. 20yard

20yard TS Member

Adjustable comb is way to go, space between mid-bead and front sight should only be noticed when you mount gun regardless and then look for the bird not the bead.

6. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

I shoot a 391 with a parallel comb but a flat rib sporting clays barrel. I use the highest shim made, plus I put on 4 layers of moleskin to get the comb high enough. There is a huge space between beads and of course I see a lot of the rib. It doesn't bother me at all.
    All I'm ever aware of is the bead at the end of the barrel, and not even that once I call for the target.

7. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

WNC, I have a 391 Vandalia and it already has an adjustable comb. It is their "trap" barrel with the stepped up rib on a 32" barrel.

Maybe put a Delrin or Devault rib on if raising the comb?

Get another barrel, maybe 30" or 28" so I can shoot skeet and sporting clays. (Skeet shooting is only for charity or Shriner functions so I don't need a tutu;) )

8. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

Put black fingernail polish on the mid bead,crank up the comb and shoot off the end of the barrel--you may like it..........or not........SMOKIT

9. superxjeff

superxjeff Active Member

or.. Just have an adjustable rib put on the gun. I know you are trying to be cost effective and I get that. The problem is that the gun is the smallest cost in this entire equation.

Having a comb all jacked up fot trap is ok as long as YOU are ok with it!

We all have our own style of shooting and just because one guy can shoot off the end of his barrel doesn't mean that I can, you can , or the next guy can.

I personally feel it a monkey FU*&ing a football way to try and shoot.

I have had adjustable ribs a swell as adjustable ribs with adjustable combs.
    They all have a place.

I like my impacts to be what I want them to be via the looking flat down the rib and having my beads stacked. Then I am free to take my eye of the bead as long as I keep my head in the same spot. I don't shoot that way but I could because my impact has a baselne that is repeatable.

Shooting off the end of the rib with no refrence point can be tough for some guys.

If it was me? I would either get an adjustable rib and an adjustable comb or diffrent barrels with the impact built into the rib.

I am happy to have all my guns. skeet/sporting/trap and hunting to shoot 80/20 so that makes it simple but that is what works for me.

You can spend a lot of money on gas, targets, shells, time, effort ETC ETC. Chasing a monekey fu*&ing a football fix in an effort to have one gun that shoots all games with diffrent impacts but the same barrel and an adjustable comb.

The easier route for me would be to have one impact and use it for all games if you really want to try and be cost efficient.

Gas will be pushing 5.00 a gallon by the end of this shooting season. Are you going to buy a Prius? If You want to save money you better! and I guarantee your Prius will save you a lot more money then an extra barrel will cost you. My thoughts.... Jeff

10. Brian in Oregon

Brian in Oregon Well-Known Member

Deplorable Bitter Clinger in Liberal La La Land
    I did just that for my field 1187. Very flat shooting field barrel. First trap modification I made was to install an adjustable comb trap stock.

The comb is raised a modest amount, enought to turn it from 50/50 to 60/40. This dies cause the top of the rib to be seen, but that's really no big deal if the gun fits you and shoots where you are looking.

You're not supposed to be looking directly at the rib top nor bead anyway, but focus on the clay and use peripheral vision for the barrel/bead.

The ONLY reason to worry about seeing the top of the rib is glare. If you rib glares, paint it with matte black paint, or have it bead blasted and reblued, or install a custom add-on rib that's tapered so that you see no rib top.

Or in my case, I eventually bought a trap barrel that has a slightly higher stepped rib.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

adjustable ribs for s skeet gun