1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Adjustable comb spacers

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Bob_K, Oct 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Country Gentlemen gave me a number of plastic washers when they did my comb conversion.

2. spritc

spritc Active Member

I use polished brass washers available at your local hardware or big box store.

Steve

p.s. I do the polishing

3. ivanhoe

ivanhoe Well-Known Member

I use SS washers that I bought from a fella that used to make them they were .025" thick they work very well.

Bob Lawless

4. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

I buy my 1/16" thick nylon spacers from Ace Hardware. They are available in white or black. For my 1/32" spacers, I purchase them from a company called "Fastenal Co." They come in S/S, and are the only place I was able to find 1/32" spacers that fit my comb posts........ Dan Thome (Trap2)

5. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

That's cutt'n it pretty fine there, isn't it Dan? You trying to make us look careless? I think most of us just think in terms of "less of this or more of that."

Neil

6. The Loud One

The Loud One TS Member

After setting up the comb, I measure the gap and cut my spacer's on a lathe. I have found some 7/16" ID aluminum stock that works well.

7. Jollytrapshooter

Jollytrapshooter Member

If you plan on setting your comb and leaving it there, the best thing to to would be to set it, measure it, and have a set cut as was described above. If you are interested, I could cut them for you, either aluminum or nylon. Hope this helps, Josh.

8. widomaker

widomaker TS Member

I use the plastic ones that Mark gave me when he did my stock. I think they are in 1/16 in. increments.

9. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Neil.........
    I'm a firm believer in Phil Kiners comb adjustment procedures. If you don't believe 1/32" in your comb adjustment makes a difference, give it a try from the 27yd. line. It does, indeed, make a difference.... Dan

10. phirel

phirel TS Member

Dan- Would not increasing or decreasing your cheek pressure by 2 ounces make more difference than a 1/32 inch spacer? Many shooters rotate their head down when mounting a gun. Can this rotation be consistent to 1/32 of an inch?

Pat Ireland

11. Trap2

Trap2 Well-Known Member

Pat.... In trapshooting, I've learned that ANYTHING is possible, and if you don't believe it, just read these threads for more than 2 days in a row. If you are mounting your gun correctly, once you have the gun mounted, there should be no room to move your cheek once it's on the comb. Your cheek should be on the comb as firmly as possible so this very thing does not happen, because if it does, it will definately have an impact on where your gun shoots at any given yardage. If you put your cheek on the comb so there is no movement possible once the gun is mounted, you will shoot to the same POI every time. If you then put in a 1/32" spacer and do the same thing, you will notice your gun will shoot about 1" higher at 40 yards than it did before you installed the spacer. Frank Little was a stickler in his clinics for this common cheek pressure problem, and if you watch Phil shoot, you will notice his cheek is as firmly planted on the comb as he can get it. I would just about bet you that Phil could not put 2 more ounces of pressure on his comb with his cheek if he tried. You might also refer to Phils article in Trap & Field's Sept. 2004 issue, page 20, regarding fine tuning your POI with 1/32" spacers. I would contend that, if you can increase, or decrease, your cheek pressure by 2 ounces once your gun is mounted and you are prepared to call for your target, you have a definate gun mount, and, or, a POI problem....... Dan Thome (Trap2)

12. Phil Kiner

Phil Kiner Well-Known Member

I now have spacers for sale. They are on a smaller caribiner and come with 8 1/16" and 4 1/32". They are all 1.125" in diameter with a hole large enough to fit all normal comb posts. I sell this set for $6.00 plus shipping. I will try to get a picture taken and post tonight. pk

13. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Fauset washers. Picked up at local hardware store.

14. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Once I set my comb I used a piece of clear plastic tubing cut to the exact length. I slid it over the posts and re-installed the comb. It is invisible when installed.

15. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Neil, and to believe the Pigeon I used from 87 to about 98 had 1/64th inch spacers in it..

16. comp 1

comp 1 Well-Known Member

O.K.,how many of you press your head down firmly enough on the comb to eliminate height adjustment problems ? I find it hard to press my cheek firmly consistently because it tightens up my neck and upper back leaving me totally unrelaxed. Maybe that's my problem cause I realize that the upper body should move as one unit and pivoting only from the waist is advised but I find it almost impossible to stay that wound up and still be relaxed.I just place my face against the comb with almost no downward pressure and try to keep my head from wobbling around----let's hear it--how many use a LOT of downward pressure to keep the possibility of changing the comb height a 32nd of an inch?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.