1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

*****Adjustable Comb Question*****

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Easystreet, Sep 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of maybe having an adjustable comb installed on one of my shotguns. I've never had a gun with an adjustable comb before and have a question about the adjustment for cast.

When adjusting the comb for cast, are there detents or fixed increments of adjustment (such as 1/16" or 1/8") or is it a friction fit where you just slide it over and tighten it down? If some are done one way and some the other, which do you prefer?

Thanks,

Easystreet

2. Squeal

Squeal Member

friction fit, losen a screw and slide it over.

3. jimrich60

jimrich60 Member

There are many different sets/makers of hardware used for installing an adjustable comb. Most of them that I have seen have a small amount of "cast" adjustment possible using a "friction" set of the the comb posts to move side to side, set by tightening a screw in the post. Same for comb height adjustments. This is actually better than a set distance of "click" settings, as 1/16, or 1/8, or some fixed distance of movement might not be "right" for you in your needed adjustments. With the "friction" set, the movement distance is solely determined by the user (at least up to the limits of the hardware adjustments) You would have to talk to whomever is installing your adjustable comb to determine what hardware he is using to make the comb adjustable to find out just how the comb will work in your case.

Jim R

4. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

If you need cast at the comb to horizontally align your eye with the rib because of fleshy cheeks, the comb may not be able to be moved far enough.

Only the top one-inch or so of the stock/comb is adjustable; you may not be able to move your cheek/eye as far enough to avoid having to tilt your head toward the stock, which is not a good idea and may be what you are doing now.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.